resurrected body?

drham3rd

My question deals with how similar will our resurrected bodies be to our mortal bodies? I have Cerebral Palsy so would my resurrected body be whole..without physical deficits? I'm also sterile, so would I still be unable to reproduce in the Celestral Kingdom? Would like others to share what they believe about the nature of our resurrected body.

Thanks

I can't grow a beard, I always wanted a thick manly beard, to go with my wonderful long hair (which does grow) though its short at the moment, usually cut it every 4 years, like a sad Olympics.

I would imagine you'd be whole and unsterile, wouldn't make sense if you were in the beyond.

My question deals with how similar will our resurrected bodies be to our mortal bodies? I have Cerebral Palsy so would my resurrected body be whole..without physical deficits? I'm also sterile, so would I still be unable to reproduce in the Celestral Kingdom? Would like others to share what they believe about the nature of our resurrected body.

Thanks

A resurrected body will be made whole, which means things like defects, handicaps, and imperfections will be done away with. Exactly what this entails is a little unknown, will I lose my freckles? Are they imperfections? Just how much of how I look falls under the classification of imperfection? I'm not sure, but things like cerebral palsy, missing limbs, downs syndrome, sterility, and even baldness will be gone.

I think most of what we know on this subject is speculation, however, Alma did provide us with a couple insights.

Alma 11:43 The spirit and the body shall be reunited again in its perfect form; both limb and joint shall be restored to its proper frame, even as we now are at this time; and we shall be brought to stand before God, knowing even as we know now, and have a bright recollection of all our guilt.

Alma 40:23 The soul shall be restored to the body, and the body to the soul; yea, and every limb and joint shall be restored to its body; yea, even a hair of the head shall not be lost; but all things shall be restored to their proper and perfect frame.

So, if your body is in it's "perfect form" and it's "proper frame, even as we now are at this time" then it would appear you get what you have now. If "all things [are] restored to their proper and perfect frame" you could get something different (if what you have isn't proper and/or perfect).

Greetings drham3rd,

Thanks

I think the following sums it up best...

"But our commonwealth is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will change our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power which enables him even to subject all things to himself." (Philippians 3:20-21)

Ankh ;)

Thanks

Yes it would be without physical defects.

We don't have much experience in regards to how different perfect bodies are to our mortal ones. I think probably the most informative event in scripture is Christ's resurrection in the New Testament.

His apostles (and possibly Mary) did not recognize him right off the bat... But it didn't take too long before it dawned on them who was with them. This says to me that we won't look exactly how we looked in mortality, my guess is that it would be at the peak of physical fitness and apex between youth and age.

My answer is a bit of a cop out, but based on the principle in Mormon 9:14,

I make the assumption that whatever form our body takes in the afterlife will be a form that is to our eternal liking. I suspect a lot of that has to do with our own physical preferences. Lakumi may get to grow his beard finally, while my face will remain baby smooth without the need to shave--but my goatee will still grow.

Thanks

It is my believe that we will be resurrected as we were when our spirit departed from our body and then restored to a perfect and incorruptible state according to principles that we may not fully understand yet. For example my mother was told in her patriarchal blessing that she would raise children in the resurrection. She had 5 miscarriages and she believes that she will raise them in the resurrection.

But there is another example. When Jesus was resurrected he kept the nail prints in his hands and feet. If he will have those prints through eternity - I personally do not think so. But I think the point is that we may maintain some resemblance to or mortal experience if we so wish. I have a combination scar tattoo on my leg that I received during a cycling competition that I have grown to kind of found of - I think I may want to keep it in order to brag about it a little in eternity.

Anyway - the scriptures say we will be restored to a perfect frame. Which I understand that we will all be much better than any of us ever were here.

The Traveler

Continuing the idea of our bodies being adjustable to mortal bodies.

I believe our bodies are ressurected into personages of light. Our countenance is the degree to which we are resurrected (1 Cor 15).

Matthew 17:2

2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.

Mark 9:2

2 ¶And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.

Here, Jesus showed Peter, James and John his true nature. He also appeared to Joseph Smith in the same manner. I believe the pillar of light that descended upon Joseph Smith was light emitting from God the Father and Jesus Christ.

I believe our bodies are ressurected into personages of light. Our countenance is the degree to which we are resurrected (1 Cor 15).

2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.

2 ¶And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.

Here, Jesus showed Peter, James and John his true nature. He also appeared to Joseph Smith in the same manner. I believe the pillar of light that descended upon Joseph Smith was light emitting from God the Father and Jesus Christ.

Interesting thought - but are we talking symbolism? Is the sun Celestial or a Celestial symbol?

The Traveler

Thanks

God created two bodies, one for Adam and one for Eve. The Fall resulted in the creation of all other forms of bodies. To fall in love with any aspect of the corrupted body is to love something that is carnal and to love treasures that will turn to dust. We should not love ourselves more than death. Death is the point at which we give up all this corruption for perfection. Thus, Christ died so we may live in a perfect body after we die. The extent to which we forsake the things of this world, even the thorns in the flesh will be a part of what form of body we will receive. Of the Celestial there is one body as the sun in one, of the Terrestrial there is one body and of the Telestial there is variability as one star varies from another. So, to really answer your question, it depends on what Kingdom a person is received into.

I think this is an interesting thought as well, but because I believe transfiguration and resurrection are different things. I believe it is the resurrected Jesus, not the transfigured one, who appeared to Joseph Smith.

Transfiguration could, however, show us what our perfected bodies would be like. Trouble is, most of us aren't going to be transfigured.

Interesting thought - but are we talking symbolism? Is the sun Celestial or a Celestial symbol?

The Traveler

I give this as food for thought...

The purest, most refined and subtle of all these substances, and the one least understood, or even recognized, by the less informed among mankind, is that substance called the Holy Spirit.

...This is the true light, which in some measure illuminates all men. It is, in its less refined particles, the physical light which reflects from the sun, moon, and stars, and other substances; and by reflection on the eye, makes visible the truths of the outward world.

It is, also, in its higher degrees, the intellectual light of our inward and spiritual organs, by which we reason, discern, judge, compare, comprehend and remember the subjects within our reach.

Its inspiration constitutes instinct in animal life, reason in man, vision in the Prophets, and is continually flowing from the Godhead throughout all His creatures. (Parley P. Pratt, Key to the Science of Theology, Ch 5 http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/35470/pg35470.html

I personally think this is one of the best descriptions we have in scripture of a glorified immortal body:

Joseph Smith History 1: 31-32

From this scripture we recognize a few descriptions of our bodies and clothing:

1. Robe of exquisite whiteness

2. Hands, arms, legs, feet

3. Head and neck

4. We still have our bosom

5. Countenances like lightning, that at first site cause people to fear and be afraid.

I think part of the key is: "perfect"

Yep, stating the obvious from the scripture.

A couple of more interesting statements from the brethren.

As concerning the resurrection, I will merely say that all men will come from the grave as they lie down, whether old or young; there will not be "added unto their stature one cubit," neither taken from it; all will be raised by the power of God, having spirit in their bodies, and not blood. Children will be enthroned in the presence of God and the Lamb with bodies of the same stature that they had on earth having been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb; they will there enjoy the fulness of that light, glory and intelligence, which is prepared in the celestial kingdom. "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord, for they rest from their labors and their works do follow them." (Joseph Smith, HC 4:555-56.)

As we are laid down so will we come forth whether old or young. If we were old when we died we will be old when resurrected.

"The body will come forth as it is laid to rest, for there is no growth nor development in the grave. As it is laid down, so will it arise, and changes to perfection will come by the law of restitution. But the spirit will continue to expand and develop, and the body, after the resurrection will develop to the full stature of man" (Joseph F. Smith, Improvement Era 7 [June 1904]: 623—24).

Joseph Fielding Smith elaborates:

When President Smith declares that "the body will come forth as it is laid to rest, for there is no growth in the grave,” he has in mind this: Infants and children do not grow in the grave, but when they come forth, they will come forth with the same body and in the same size in which the body was when it was laid away. After the resurrection the body will grow until it has reached the full stature of manhood or womanhood. He did not intend to teach that the adult who loses a leg will come forth without that leg until it can be grafted on after the resurrection. Rather, his body will come forth complete in every part. Deformities and the like will be corrected, if not immediately at the time of the uniting of the spirit and body, so soon thereafter that it will make no difference. We may be sure that every man will receive his body in its perfect frame in the resurrection. (Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation 2:294)

For those that died when old it appears to me that there will be a transition period until the physical form matches the spirit.

Regarding glory and kingdoms we have:

Those who come forth in the celestial glory with celestial bodies have a body that is more refined. It is different. The very fibre and texture of the celestial body is more pure and holy than a telestial or terrestrial body, and a celestial body alone can endure celestial glory. (Melvin J. Ballard, in Sermons and Missionary Services of Melvin J. Ballard, comp. Bryant S. Hinckley (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1949), 256)

Harold B. Lee also has a very interesting statement on how the process will be viewed by those on the earth during the millennium.

Resurrection will one day be as common as birth. The only reason we don't have the same assurance about the resurrection as we have about birth is because we are not seeing that happen daily before our eyes as we see birth. Nobody questions the reality of birth, which is just as much a mystery to our understanding as the resurrection of a body that is dead; but if we live in the morning of the resurrection, when the graves shall again be opened and when resurrection shall be almost a daily occurrence, those whose time it is to come forth will walk unto the city of their friends and will be seen of them. We will speculate then, just as we do now about the coming of a baby when there is evidence that a new one is in prospect, and we will confidently look forward to continued resurrection of friends and loved ones. (The Teachings of Harold B. Lee, p. 62.)

A couple of more interesting statements from the brethren.

As we are laid down so will we come forth whether old or young. If we were old when we died we will be old when resurrected. Joseph Fielding Smith elaborates: For those that died when old it appears to me that there will be a transition period until the physical form matches the spirit.

Regarding glory and kingdoms we have:

Harold B. Lee also has a very interesting statement on how the process will be viewed by those on the earth during the millennium.

I think those quotes are not very well understood. I think Joseph Fielding Smith's explanation tries to correct some of the misconception about those quotes when he states that someone with a missing leg obviously is not going to resurrected with a missing leg. We are not going to physically come out of the grave how we physically went into the grave. That is a morbid and disgusting thought.

My cousin who died in Baghdad from a roadside bomb, brought back in a little 5 gallon bag, what was left of him, is not going to come out of the grave that way. What about those who are cremated or burned to death, i.e 911, where there are no or little remains to find? What would happen to the person who was consumed by a lion or a shark? Does the lion get the molecules or the person upon resurrection? What if a person died in a field and their molecules were absorbed by an apple tree and someone else comes along and eats the apple and incorporates those molecules into their body? Who gets them in the end? Obviously, these statements were not to be taken literally, that the actual material laid down in the grave will pass through the dirt and come together to form a body ... there are too many situations where most of the material is missing or incorporated into something else, etc., to be taken as a literal statement.

The word stature comes from how it is used in the scriptures in other places, like Jesus statement from the sermon on the mount; " 27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?" ... " 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

The statements reflect the fact that during our probation is the time to add to our stature, after we die, one cannot add to our "stature". But, if we seek the kingdom of God while here then all things will be added and the perfect body will be given. We can't do it by ourselves and certainly a dead body cannot do it so it will come forth the way it went into the grave because now is the time for change and growth by paying attention to the Kingdom of God.

And " 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love."

"Stature" in the scriptures is the measurement of how close we are to perfection, to the fulness of Christ and relates to how Christlike we are. Metaphorically, "adding one cubit" is the process of becoming more Christlike, not actually changing one's physical height. ... just to keep those statements in the right context. Out of context, it makes it sound like he is talking about physical characteristics ... don't want to lead away from the real message.

3 Nephi 13: 27-34; The covering is thrown into the oven, it is done away with, then we receive the real covering but don't concern yourself with the temporary earthly covering so much because the need for covering and adornment is based in righteousness, not how we are adorned in this life. The carnal things are thrown into the oven in the end, even for the lilies of the field (representing all natural things). If one has little faith then they hold onto carnal things and concerns. It is like holding onto your worn out, moth bitten coat after buying a new one. I don't think any of are really going to have any affinity for our carnal clothing after this life, unless one develops a love for carnal things. And this is why we are taught to first concern ourselves with the Kingdom of God and to let go of carnal treasures (which includes our physical body), loving death more than self.