Missionary murdered in Veracruz, Mexico

Swiper

A missionary from Washington State has been murdered in Veracruz, Mexico, four days ago. He was found dead in a hammock at his apartment with a bag over his head, cord around his neck, and hands tied. His companion has apparently been arrested as the prime suspect. Mexican newspapers has published names and graphic images of the deceased, but I decided not to link to them. Victim's family has been notified according to a friend of mine who knows the victim's mother.

Anyone heard in American news about this? What's going on? It seems like every week have another dead missionary in the news.

Edited by Swiper

I know a missionary couple were killed early last year in Mexico and the particulars on this one can only be found in anti-mormon websites. So I question the veracity of the report without a more independent confirmation.

It's real :( I read about the incident in two separate Mexican newspaper stories, complete with a very distressing image of the deceased missionary and a link to his mormon.org profile which has since been taken down. His companion was questioned by police at first, but it seems that it was a suicide and that the missionary left a note for his mother. Hence, no U.S. media coverage... He seemed like a lovely young man on his mormon.org profile. My heartfelt prayers and sympathy go out to the family in their time of loss.

Edited by lagarthaaz
Update...

It's real :( I read about the incident in two separate Mexican newspaper stories, complete with a very distressing image of the deceased missionary and a link to his mormon.org profile which has since been taken down. His companion was questioned by police at first, but it seems that it was a suicide and that the missionary left a note for his mother. Hence, no U.S. media coverage... He seemed like a lovely young man on his mormon.org profile. My heartfelt prayers and sympathy go out to the family in their time of loss.

Sources?

Sources?

If you really want to see them - message me and I'll send you the links. They really aren't appropriate for this forum and I wouldn't want anyone clicking on them unless they really want to see them to find out the truth of what happened.

I personally am sorry I read the Mexican news stories - I did not realize they show graphic images of deceased people.

I am more than happy to pass on the 'SOURCES' - message me if you want them. They are not hard to find.

If you really want to see them - message me and I'll send you the links. They really aren't appropriate for this forum and I wouldn't want anyone clicking on them unless they really want to see them to find out the truth of what happened.

I personally am sorry I read the Mexican news stories - I did not realize they show graphic images of deceased people.

I am more than happy to pass on the 'SOURCES' - message me if you want them. They are not hard to find.

And then again if they aren't appropriate to provide publicly, they aren't appropriate to provide in a private message either.

"He" - is that me you are referring to?

I am a "she".

And it is ok to reply to "me" instead of responding to another person about what I've posted.

Ok, first, I use a generic he whenever someone has an ambiguous user name. And second, I responded to the person I wanted to respond to. Slamjet asked for sources and I informed slamjet that it wouldn't be appropriate to link them since you said they were graphic.

For what it is worth - every time that a missionary is hurt or killed while on a mission, the LDS News comments on it.

When you all (generic You) post it here on the forum and cite lay news sources, I check on lds.org.news. to verify that it actually happened. Sorry, but lay newspapers reporting about our LDS Missionaries just isn't proof enough for me.

There has been absolutely NO mention of this missionary. The ONLY mention of him is from an anti-Mormon forum.

At one time he had a profile on mormon.org, I am a Mormon - it is gone. So IF he was murdered or committed suicide while on his mission, then THAT is up to his parents and the LDS church to decide IF and WHEN to release information.

Until that day - when it is officially released - it is not for us to mish-mash and speculate about. Seems to me that would just be considered Rumor Mongering. Especially when this info is coming from an anti site.

Basically, the "Rule of Thumb" is: To back up your statement, opinion, information - link your sources. If the link is from an objectionable site, Anti-Mormon site, and/or has foul language and/or graphic pictures - then keep those statements, opinions and information to yourself and off of this forum.

I am NOT a moderator of this forum - I am just a run-of-the-mill 61 year old female member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and of this forum. Quite frankly I tire of the rumors that have been passing for truth. I AM a moderator of what I read and what I choose to post about.

And then again if they aren't appropriate to provide publicly, they aren't appropriate to provide in a private message either.

Agreed - the only reason I offered them up is because someone asked for 'sources' (which implies I was repeating hearsay rather than something I read in a newspaper report). I declined to make said sources public on this forum for obvious reasons.

Ok, first, I use a generic he whenever someone has an ambiguous user name. And second, I responded to the person I wanted to respond to. Slamjet asked for sources and I informed slamjet that it wouldn't be appropriate to link them since you said they were graphic.

I'm pretty sure my profile states I'm a woman.

I would never link to graphic images/articles in a public forum and 99% of the time I wouldn't share them privately either.

And PS. I'm sorry if my previous post came across a bit snappy towards you, I misread the meaning of your post to someone else.

Edited by lagarthaaz

I'm pretty sure my profile states I'm a woman.

If you are expecting everyone to check your profile before responding to you, prepare for disappointment. Of course, she wasn't responding to you, so I'd be checking your profile before referencing you. I'd still prepare for disappointment.

Edited by Dravin

For what it is worth - every time that a missionary is hurt or killed while on a mission, the LDS News comments on it.

Well, they didn't this time. This latest missionary death is one that has not yet been reported on lds.newsroom - though I personally have now read at least 3 reports from Mexican newspapers and his obituary has now been published. I'm sure there are reasons for this - one of which you mentioned might be privacy for the bereaved family of the missionary.

When you all (generic You) post it here on the forum and cite lay news sources, I check on lds.org.news. to verify that it actually happened. Sorry, but lay newspapers reporting about our LDS Missionaries just isn't proof enough for me. There has been absolutely NO mention of this missionary. The ONLY mention of him is from an anti-Mormon forum.

Again, you are wrong about that. He did exist, he did die recently on his mission in Mexico. The church has chosen NOT to report on it . He IS being buried this Friday: On-line Obituary For Peter Allen Maughan

His parents no doubt want him remembered for the good that he did - see link above that they have chosen to share with the public.

Until that day - when it is officially released - it is not for us to mish-mash and speculate about. Seems to me that would just be considered Rumor Mongering. Especially when this info is coming from an anti site.

Rumour-mongering - I think not. Any church member is genuinely concerned and saddened when we lose one of our young missionaries. We want to know because we care and we all know and love young people who are serving in the field, not because we are interested in 'rumours'. We also have a right to information about unsafe areas for our missionaries. Like many people I too have been concerned about the FACT that we have now lost ELEVEN missionaries this year alone - it's unusual in comparison to other years and causes a little anxiety. Those feelings are based on concern and sorrow, and are not about wanting to spread 'rumours'.

Basically, the "Rule of Thumb" is: To back up your statement, opinion, information - link your sources. If the link is from an objectionable site, Anti-Mormon site, and/or has foul language and/or graphic pictures - then keep those statements, opinions and information to yourself and off of this forum.

Done. No links to anti-sites, or graphic primary sources in the form of newspapers.

I am NOT a moderator of this forum - I am just a run-of-the-mill 61 year old female member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and of this forum. Quite frankly I tire of the rumors that have been passing for truth. I AM a moderator of what I read and what I choose to post about.

As am I - and anyone else who reads on lds forums. For example, I think making jokes that compare sacred things like scriptures, prophets and missionaries with 'zombies' is not at all funny - in fact I find it crude and disrespectful. I also don't think it's funny to joke about violent acts like cutting off heads 'with a machete', shooting the 'walking dead' with 'heads shots' and posting images that depict hanging and violence (all sounds a bit 'R' rated to me), - so if I don't like it, I don't join in. We all moderate in our own way - you found the 'zombie' thread amusing - I didn't. You found this topic that started out as simply someone's concerned query about the loss of a missionary as 'rumour-mongering' - I didn't.

It'd be a boring world if we all agreed.

If you are expecting everyone to check your profile before responding to you, prepare for disappointment. Of course, she wasn't responding to you, so I'd be checking your profile before referencing you. I'd still prepare for disappointment.

And your point?

And your point?

I thought it was rather clear: If you are expecting people to check your profile before responding to you or making references to you expect to be disappointed. Most people will not do so.

Let me know what it is exactly you are having trouble understanding.

I thought it was rather clear: If you are expecting people to check your profile before responding to you or making references to you expect to be disappointed. Most people will not do so.

Let me know what it is exactly you are having trouble understanding.

I don't 'expect' anyone to check my profile - unless they want to refer to my gender.

How is that even worth being 'disappointed' by?