Global warming trend now in 6th year of "hiatus"

NeuroTypical

Raven2.... Take a look at this article Geologic temperature record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I realize some people have a problem with wikipedia but this article is very well cited... So anyone can verify the facts there

Take a look at the 5 million, 65 million, and 500 million year charts... And note that Human impact is just an blip at the very end of all the charts. When we check the scientific facts we find that our dear old mother earth has been reeling from one extreme climate to another like a drunken sailor... Long before we had anything to do with it. (Check the facts for yourself)

Now for the human actions... Humans that don't even enter the picture till the very end... Is it possible that we are impacting the climate. We could be nudging it one way or the other speeding it up or slowing it down in small amounts. But it is only short-sighted human arrogance and pride that demands that we are the ones making the changes happen, that it would not happen without us. And it is utter folly to presume that we can stop it (or even know enough to know if it would be wise to do so)

If we want to be good human stewards then we need to plan for the inevitable changes that are going to come. Sea levels will rise and they will fall, we will have blistering heat and arctic cold. So lets stop pretending we can stop this and start preparing for and limiting the potential for disasters that are going to happen because of it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I stated early on, its a shame people from both political view points get so rapped up in the political debate of global warming, they blind themselves to the real issue which is our stewardship and responsibility to care for the earth and leave it better than we received it. That includes doing what you can in you sphere of influence and that the earth is not just here for us to exploit for all our desires.

With that said I get the main point of some the posts - the focus is on the political debate. Which in my opinion makes people miss the real issue.

Edited by raven2

As I stated early on, its a shame people from both political view points get so rapped up in the political debate of global warming, they blind themselves to the real issue which is our stewardship and responsibility to care for the earth and leave it better than we received it. That includes doing what you can in you sphere of influence and that the earth is not just here for us to exploit for all our desires.

With that said I get the main point of some the posts - the focus is on the political debate. Which in my opinion makes people miss the real issue.

I agree very much that this has become political and outside of science. I am concerned that carbon had become labeled as a pollutant. Keep in mind that as a cyclists that commuted to work as much as 25 miles one way, I am rather extreme when it come to pollution created from automobiles.

I can highlight many benefits in commuting by bicycle over driving a car or public transportation. But why a focus on carbon? Plants need carbon like we need oxygen. If someone loves trees they have to love carbon. A carbon discussion has become a discussion of pseudo science and outlandishly extreme politics. But then the first principle of propaganda is that if a lie is told often enough - the lie will become more believable than the truth.

The Traveler

...they blind themselves to the real issue which is our stewardship and responsibility to care for the earth and leave it better than we received it.
Wait - what? "Leave it better than we received it?" Where did you get that notion? I don't see that idea in any of the scriptures or words from prophets you've quoted. Cite your source, please.
...the earth is not just here for us to exploit for all our desires.
Nonsense. The earth absolutely is indeed "just here for us to exploit for all our desires". That's what God said when He mentions having "given unto the children of men to be agents unto themselves". You cited the scripture raven2 - how can you pull the exact opposite meaning from it? Agents unto themselves = humans are in charge to do what we will. God commands and advises and counsels and directs and informs, He obviously wants our desires to be righteous. But it's our earth, and we are commanded to do what we will with it. We'll be called to account for our stewardship. But if it's not for us to decide, then it's not our stewardship.

I can highlight many benefits in commuting by bicycle over driving a car or public transportation. But why a focus on carbon? Plants need carbon like we need oxygen. If someone loves trees they have to love carbon. A carbon discussion has become a discussion of pseudo science and outlandishly extreme politics. But then the first principle of propaganda is that if a lie is told often enough - the lie will become more believable than the truth.

Most of the discussion on carbon is referring to the carbon cycle. It's a well studied cycle where carbon moves through the environment, and can be a good record of world climate (it's one of the reasons why drilling ice cores is so helpful). It is, however, poorly understood to what effect humans are imbalancing or changing the carbon cycle and the long term effects, if any, of that imbalance.

Response to Loudmouth_mormon

Ezra Taft Benson - "In fact, we are morally obligated to turn this land over to those who succeed us — not drained of its fertility but improved in quality, in productivity, and in usefulness for future generations.”

Ezra Taft Benson - "Pollution of one's environment and moral impurity both rest on a life-style which partakes of a philosophy of ‘eat, drink, and be merry’ — gouge and grab now, without regard to the consequences. Both violate the spirit of stewardship for which we will stand accountable.”

"Thus, when God gave unto man “dominion over the fish of the sea, and over fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth,”[22] it was not without boundaries or limits. He intends man’s dominion to be a righteous dominion, meaning one that is guided, curbed, and enlightened by the doctrine of His gospel—a gospel defined by God’s love for us and our love for Him and his works. The unbridled, voracious consumer is not consistent with God’s plan of happiness, which calls for humility, gratitude, and mutual respect.

In other words, as stewards over the earth and all life thereon, we are to gratefully make use of that which the Lord has provided, avoid wasting life and resources, and use the bounty of the earth to care for the poor." Elder Marcus B. Nash, 18th Annual Stegner Center Symposium, Friday, April 12, 2013

The idea that the `earth is hear for us to exploit for all our desires` is not in harmony with the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ (which is clearly stated above) and we are asked to improve it from how we received it.

At this point i think i have supported my comments with quotes from the prophets, scripture, church publications and general authorities. Note just my opinion or political articles.

With that said, i believe we each have agency to our opinion and respect your right to your opinion.

Edited by raven2

We should be good stewards of the Earth, but we should not exploit real or imaginary global threats in order to further an agenda of wealth redistribution and political or financial gain. Global warming is clearly being used to further a tangential agenda unrelated to "saving the planet."

We should be good stewards of the Earth, but we should not exploit real or imaginary global threats in order to further an agenda of wealth redistribution and political or financial gain. Global warming is clearly being used to further a tangential agenda unrelated to "saving the planet."

As i pointed out at the beginning of the thread, its a shame that either political group focuses on global warming instead of our stewardship and conservation of the earth. Too many use it to exploit gain or to justify not having accountability.

As i pointed out at the beginning of the thread, its a shame that either political group focuses on global warming instead of our stewardship and conservation of the earth. Too many use it to exploit gain or to justify not having accountability.

Well, it's like the issue with florescent light bulbs and solar panels. The government spends so much time picking winners and losers, and regulating so much that innovation is stifled and of course the corruption of the system that it's near impossible to make reasonable decisions on ways to "save the planet" And there is little discussion on the hidden cost of renewables. It's like that Twilight Zone episode where a guy invents a machine that makes gold, but the raw materials to make the gold are more expensive than the gold itself. But it's still sold on the fact that it's going to make you rich. I see the same thing in the market place largely pushed by the government. And global warming is one of the biggest contributors to government corruption.

Well, it's like the issue with florescent light bulbs and solar panels. The government spends so much time picking winners and losers, and regulating so much that innovation is stifled and of course the corruption of the system that it's near impossible to make reasonable decisions on ways to "save the planet" And there is little discussion on the hidden cost of renewables. It's like that Twilight Zone episode where a guy invents a machine that makes gold, but the raw materials to make the gold are more expensive than the gold itself. But it's still sold on the fact that it's going to make you rich. I see the same thing in the market place largely pushed by the government. And global warming is one of the biggest contributors to government corruption.

So why note focus more on the council and guidances of the prophets and leaders of the church. The church just published an entire new webpage on the environment, conservation and things we can do in our sphere of influence. More than enough knowledge and guidance without listening to the government (both political groups) or private enterprise.

Sometimes you can and I am all for local action instead of waiting for the government to save you. But sometimes the government makes that difficult, because of regulations and such. For example, some have been fined and forced to remove vegetable gardens because they are not zoned correctly.

My body is just as much a part of this natural world as any plant, animal, or rock. Climate alarmist keep talking about how "humans" are destroying nature. We, humans, are a part of nature. I am no more a problem to this planet's natural course than a volcano, a monkey, or a stream. As a natural part of this world, humans leave their footprint just like anything else that is a part of nature. I see us accessing natural resources and using them as being "natural". Plants naturally use water. Earthquakes naturally shake and destroy earth. Volcano's naturally spew out CO2 when they erupt. Whales naturally deficate in to the oceans. Cows naturally release methane. Just because there is intelligence behind the use or manipulation of our natural resources doesn't make that use unnatural.

Humans and their use of the earth's resources is as natural as monkeys (or any other part of nature) and their/its use/manipulation of the earth's resources.

-Finrock

My body is just as much a part of this natural world as any plant, animal, or rock. Climate alarmist keep talking about how "humans" are destroying nature. We, humans, are a part of nature. I am no more a problem to this planet's natural course than a volcano, a monkey, or a stream. As a natural part of this world, humans leave their footprint just like anything else that is a part of nature. I see us accessing natural resources and using them as being "natural". Plants naturally use water. Earthquakes naturally shake and destroy earth. Volcano's naturally spew out CO2 when they erupt. Whales naturally deficate in to the oceans. Cows naturally release methane. Just because there is intelligence behind the use or manipulation of our natural resources doesn't make that use unnatural.

Humans and their use of the earth's resources is as natural as monkeys (or any other part of nature) and their/its use/manipulation of the earth's resources.

-Finrock

Did you read anything that was posted, or read the church's website, or the quotes from the prophets?

I don't think anyone said you are not part of the world, or that resources shouldn't be used to sustain your earthly needs, but we have also been taught to respect, protect, conserve and leave it better than how we received it. It doesn't belong to us, we have been given stewardship over it and will be held accountable for that stewarship and useage.

"In other words, as stewards over the earth and all life thereon, we are to gratefully make use of that which the Lord has provided, avoid wasting life and resources, and use the bounty of the earth to care for the poor." Elder Marcus B. Nash, 18th Annual Stegner Center Symposium, Friday, April 12, 2013

"The earth and all things on it should be used responsibly to sustain the human family. However, all are stewards — not owners — over this earth and its bounty and will be accountable before God for what they do with His creations.

Approaches to the environment must be prudent, realistic, balanced and consistent with the needs of the earth and of current and future generations, rather than pursuing the immediate vindication of personal desires or avowed rights."

Environmental Stewardship and Conservation

Edited by raven2

So why not focus more on the council and guidances of the prophets and leaders of the church. The church just published an entire new webpage on the environment, conservation and things we can do in our sphere of influence.

Ok, from their section on personal stewardship:

1. Check your attic for adequate insulation. - Done. My home was built to code, which actually specified a higher R value than suggested here.

2. If acceptable to you, set your thermostat below 70° F (21° C) when heating a home or above 75° F (24° C) when using air-conditioning. - Done. We don't have AC. We have a digital timed thermometer which lowers the temp to 66 when we're not home or asleep, and brings it up to 70 only for an hour in the morning.

3. Check the seal around the door of your refrigerator. - Done, in that we've been saving for a year to replace our 20 yr old fridge with an energy efficient new one.

4. Use fluorescent lightbulbs in place of regular bulbs. - Done, a decade ago.

5. Install flow resistors in all sink faucets and shower heads. - Home was built that way. It's pretty hard to get an affordable replacement from Home Depot that ISN'T lo-flow.

6. Once a month:

Vacuum dust from the coils at the bottom and back of your refrigerator. This helps it run more efficiently. - We do this once a year, and are replacing the fridge.

Replace the filter in your furnace or air conditioner. - We have no AC, and have a filterless furnace.

Draw a gallon of water from the spigot located at the bottom of most water heaters. This will allow mineral buildup to be drained off and will prolong the life of your water heater. - Water heater is next on the list of things to replace. We should probably do this. I do change the whole-house water filter twice a year.

7. Water lawns early in the morning because the heat of the day evaporates 20 to 30 percent of your water. - Done - we actually don't have a lawn at all. When we try for one, I have a digital timer which waters at 4am.

8. Use grass clippings to mulch around the base of trees and shrubs to cut their water needs by 50 percent. - Our trees have no supplemental water needs. I planted around 50 of them, and am watering the heck out of them so they'll grow fast and strong.

9. Use an insulated jacket around a water heater to reduce costs, especially if the water heater is located in a cold garage. - This was good advice to anyone with a water heater made in the '70's or '80's, but anything more recent and built to standard is not necessary. When we go feel the outside of our water heater, it's cold to the touch, which means it was built right, and wrapping another layer would do nothing.

When building a home, insulate the hot-water pipes to save even more. Exposed hot-water pipes in existing homes can be covered with insulation materials that have a horizontal slit in them, thus allowing them to be slipped around the pipes. - Yeah, not sure about this one. We went a year with noninsulated pipes, then after I insulated them, we noticed absolutely zero impact. No reduced gas bill. No reduced use of water heater. No reduced time from faucet on, to hot water. All I did was buy a bunch of petroleum-based foam insulation that was made from something pumped out of the ground in Argentina or Saudi Arabia.

10. Check with your local utility company. - Good idea. We didn't need one to tell us what was up - we felt a cold draft of air by the front door whenever the wind blew. We replaced the door. Will probably do an audit after the water heater, and we have some funds to do whatever the audit says.

The Recycling section is a mixture of good stuff and silly nonsense. Lying to children about the importance of saving trees by recycling paper? It's been done for so long, that the children have grown up and are now writing articles for the church website. Such a shame to see common sense set aside in the name of a cultural movement based on feeling good.

You grow trees to harvest them. They're a renewable resource. You're not supposed to save them - you're supposed to murder them and make stuff out of their bodies, and replant them so you will always have more to murder forever. Killing trees and making something out of the wood, while replanting = obeying Ezra Taft Benson's counsel to leave the earth "improved in quality, in productivity, and in usefulness". Houses and guitars and fence posts and toothpicks and church pew seating and Pres. Hinckley's cane and the cool rising and lowering pulpit at the conference center, all came from murdering trees, and they're all good things to make. But we sell our children lies and falsehoods about the importance of recycling. And talk about misleading:

• The average American uses the equivalent of seven trees per year.

• Between mid-1980 and now, the earth’s forested surface was reduced more than 25 percent.

• Twenty-eight million acres of tropical rain forest are destroyed each year.

The average American replants, and things aren't a problem here! We've got more forest than we had 100 years ago! Not only that, but the amount of wood in our forests has gone up by a third in the last 5 or 6 decades. But that horrible article sure makes it sound like America is part of the problem.

No, just stick your newspaper in the blue bin, and you're helping the earth. The horrible evil American should be ashamed of it's 7 tree/year habit. Such abject nonsense. Such failure to teach our children good things. Such sinful teaching our children wrong things.

Have I said the word "nonsense" enough?

Quote from one of the Laurels: “Ecology is somewhat of a trend,” says Lisa, clad in an “Earth Native” T-shirt. “But I think it’s a good trend. It’s not bad to be a fad follower in this case.” You go, Lisa, you go. Remember - use the blue bin, and you're doing ecology. Where'd you get that cool shirt?

"It feels good to know we’re not putting such a strain on the landfills.”

Oy. Take the google earth challenge: Load up Google earth, remove all the borders and markers and identifiers, so you're looking only at the raw images of the earth. Go zoom in and look around until you find a landfill. You probably can't do it. The truth is, we could have 10x the people living on earth, producing 100x the garbage the worst american produces now, and we could still manage landfills without anyone noticing besides people who work in the industry, and the landfill's neighbors. Because the earth really is that big, and really does have that much open unused space. "strain on landfills" - what nonsense. They have to be managed appropriately. There are valid concerns about toxins and poisons. But holy heck people - poor Jenni the Laurel seems to have been taught that we're inches away from waking up one day to find our local landfill has exploded and everyone is covered in garbage!

Recycling is, after decades of improvement, finally getting economically feasible. It is true that a cultural shift had to happen in order to make it possible. It is also true that the cultural shift has been driven by lies, half-truths, and misdirection like that quote above. End justifies the means anyone?

More than enough knowledge and guidance without listening to the government (both political groups) or private enterprise.
Perhaps that's the issue here - you seem to believe that it's an either-or situation. I'm not a dupe of private enterprise. I'm not repeating soundbytes thrown at me by political groups. It is true that I've adopted reaction-producing elements from a national talk show host, but I've done my own research and come to my own conclusions here.

No really, raven2, I agree with you. I have accepted the knowledge and guidance of our prophets and scripture, and in the area of stewardship over the earth, my family and I are doing just fine. I know you've accepted it too. But since we're talking about global problems and cultural solutions, it makes sense to "focus on govt vs. business" as you put it. Because as things have stood for a few decades, our children are being educated by people with an agenda beyond mere teaching of good stewardship. Lifestyle-affecting legislation springs from the agendas of people who are not following the guidance of prophets or scripture. It's a big problem, and we owe it to ourselves and our children to address it, rather than pretend it doesn't exist.

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

First I would like to say good for you and your family. Second, I am not sure how you would like me to response to this.

I responded to your comments. You ask things like 'who said I should leave it better than I received it'. I gave you a quote from a prophet. You asked 'earth is hear for us to exploit for all our desires'. I posted quotes from prophets and general authorties that show that that is an incorrect concept.

No really, raven2, I agree with you. I have accepted the knowledge and guidance of our prophets and scripture, and in the area of stewardship over the earth, my family and I are doing just fine. I know you've accepted it too. But since we're talking about global problems and cultural solutions, it makes sense to "focus on govt vs. business" as you put it. Because as things have stood for a few decades, our children are being educated by people with an agenda beyond mere teaching of good stewardship. Lifestyle-affecting legislation springs from the agendas of people who are not following the guidance of prophets or scripture. It's a big problem, and we owe it to ourselves and our children to address it, rather than pretend it doesn't exist.

I think you are now looking for a discussion on politics, government and private enterprise. I would not disagree there are many issues in all of these things. But to debate which political, government, private enterprise or research is right or wrong would be a very difficult and opinionated discussion. With no clear answer.

That is why I said forget politics, forget political parties, look to what the prophets and church leaders have said. I believe that is where the safety is. I have learned over time that to many people (church members) focus more of their opinions/disucssions on political viewpoints, instead of what Jesus Christ, the prophets and leaders of the church have to say.

Edited by raven2

You grow trees to harvest them. They're a renewable resource. You're not supposed to save them - you're supposed to murder them and make stuff out of their bodies, and replant them so you will always have more to murder forever.

There is nothing ridiculous with the concept of conserving renewable resources per se. Now your argument as expanded ultimately seems to be, "We're managing our trees just fine and the land isn't about to be stripped bare if you put your old homework in the wrong colored bin." Fair enough, a cognizant argument against the need to recycle for conservation purposes, but that doesn't mean the concept of conserving renewable resources is ridiculous on its face. Indeed, replanting trees so you'll have more later is conserving a renewable resource (because if you cut down trees faster than the natural replacement rate you'd have a dwindling supply of trees without management).

P.S. I realize you are responding to what you perceive to be emotionally charged claptrap. I just feel you've overreached just a bit in your attempt to respond in kind.

Edited by Dravin

Good Afternoon raven2. I hope you're having a good day! :)

Did you read anything that was posted?

Yes.

[Did you] read the church's website [about taking care of the environment]?

Yes.

[Did you read] the quotes from the prophets?

Many of them.

I don't think anyone said you are not part of the world, or that resources shouldn't be used to sustain your earthly needs

I didn't make or imply the above assertions.

ut we have also been taught to respect, protect, conserve and leave [the Earth?] better than how we received it.

Some of us have been taught this, I agree. Others have not been taught this.

[The Earth] doesn't belong to us, we have been given stewardship over it and will be held accountable for that stewarship and useage.

I agree.

-Finrock

Good Afternoon raven2. I hope you're having a good day! :)

Yes.

Yes.

Many of them.

I didn't make or imply the above assertions.

Some of us have been taught this, I agree. Others have not been taught this.

I agree.

-Finrock

Its a beautiful day. I hope you are having a good day as well.:)

There is nothing ridiculous with the concept of conserving renewable resources per se. Now your argument as expanded ultimately seems to be, "We're managing our trees just fine and the land isn't about to be stripped bare if you put your old homework in the wrong colored bin." Fair enough, a cognizant argument against the need to recycle for conservation purposes, but that doesn't mean the concept of conserving renewable resources is ridiculous on its face. Indeed, replanting trees so you'll have more later is conserving a renewable resource (because if you cut down trees faster than the natural replacement rate you'd have a dwindling supply of trees without management).

P.S. I realize you are responding to what you perceive to be emotionally charged claptrap. I just feel you've overreached just a bit in your attempt to respond in kind.

I truly respect peoples rights to their points of view. I just felt this topic was of value and that the church's published stand on it is sometimes not well discussed. I hope I have not offended anyone with posting some of those quotes, it was not my intent.

Edited by raven2

I truly respect peoples rights to their points of view. I just felt this topic was of value and that the church's published stand on it is sometimes not well discussed. I hope I have not offended anyone with posting some of those quotes, it was not my intent.

What you are seeing is people disagreeing over the implications of those quotes and that is where the discussion you feel is lacking is going to be centered (to be fair it need not have the tenor this current one seems to have). When people bring out the Church quotes people tend to get a bit more strident in their discussion because I find people tend to infer, "The Church and God agree with me. You're a bad Mormon if you don't." I use infer intentionally, as I think it is something inferred much more often than it is implied.

Edited by Dravin

What you are seeing is people disagreeing over the implications of those quotes and that is where the discussion you feel is lacking is going to be centered (to be fair it need not have the tenor this current one seems to have). When people bring out the Church quotes people tend to get a bit more strident in their discussion because I find people tend to infer, "The Church and God agree with me. You're a bad Mormon if you don't." I use infer intentionally, as I think it is something inferred much more often than it is implied.

Unfortunately, sometimes people take that tone because something doesn't support their viewpoint (personally or politically). It a nice defense mechanism to divert the attention away for the 'uncomfortable' subject matter or to justify something away.

• 2 weeks later...

I heavily researched and wrote a paper about "Global Warming" and there is a reason the UN changed the name to Climate Change.

1. Human-caused carbon emissions produce a minute amount of particulates into the earth's atmosphere.

2. The earth's climate is in a constant state of fluctuation and has done so for thousands of years.

3. Trees produce three times more carbon emissions than humans do.

4. The treeline just below the arctic circle replenishes the earth's atmosphere for the entire planet by itself.

5. the ocean's temperatures have fluctuated (warmer and cooler) for centuries.

6. The number one factor in what our atmosphere does is the Sun.

7. There will always be enough natural resources on the earth for the benefit of the children of God. - Neal A. Maxwell

I heavily researched and wrote a paper about "Global Warming" and there is a reason the UN changed the name to Climate Change.

1. Human-caused carbon emissions produce a minute amount of particulates into the earth's atmosphere.

2. The earth's climate is in a constant state of fluctuation and has done so for thousands of years.

3. Trees produce three times more carbon emissions than humans do.

4. The treeline just below the arctic circle replenishes the earth's atmosphere for the entire planet by itself.

5. the ocean's temperatures have fluctuated (warmer and cooler) for centuries.

6. The number one factor in what our atmosphere does is the Sun.

7. There will always be enough natural resources on the earth for the benefit of the children of God. - Neal A. Maxwell

One of the main focuses of comments on this topic was, that the focus shouldn't be on the debate over climate change or global warming. Its on our responsibilities to care for and have stewardship over the earth and what the prophets and leaders have to say on this subject.

"The earth and all things on it should be used responsibly to sustain the human family. However, all are stewards — not owners — over this earth and its bounty and will be accountable before God for what they do with His creations.

Approaches to the environment must be prudent, realistic, balanced and consistent with the needs of the earth and of current and future generations, rather than pursuing the immediate vindication of personal desires or avowed rights.

The state of the human soul and the environment are interconnected, with each affecting and influencing the other."

Environmental Stewardship and Conservation

Edited by raven2

Ezra Taft Benson:

“Surely you can see the inconsistency in the individual who insists that we be good stewards and not pollute our environment, and yet who is unscrupulous in his personal life. Again, physical and spiritual laws are interrelated. Pollution of one's environment and moral impurity both rest on a life-style which partakes of a philosophy of ‘eat, drink, and be merry’ — gouge and grab now, without regard to the consequences. Both violate the spirit of stewardship for which we will stand accountable.”

Tips for reducing the amount of pollution you put into the air

Tips for reducing the amount of pollution you put into the air | Deseret News

This is not just a Utah issue.

Drowning in Utah's dirty air: Utah families, top elected officials search for solutions

"Utah's dirty air is costing people their health, and in some cases, their lives. It's costing the state millions of dollars, muddying Utah's reputation as a pristine, clean place to raise a family, grow a business."

Drowning in Utah's dirty air: Utah families, top elected officials search for solutions | Deseret News