Pbs The Mormons

Winnie G

I did and you were invited to write PBS about the documentary at pbs.org at the end of it.

For those of you that did watch I invite you to write as well.

I happen to have a pen and paper on my coffee table when I watch the show. I took notes.

My husband asked me to record it and he went to the bedroom to watch Heroes.

I now see he had the better show.

I said to my husband later after he returned and watched the last hour of the documentary if some how this was done this way to mislead Republicans as to what Romney might bring into the Whitehouse if elected as president. Am I paranoid I asked?

Will I watch it tomorrow night? I have not decided yet.

My letter:

What a frailer as a documentary.

First it failed to inform those that watch that there was eleven witnesses to the plates that the book of Mormon was translated from. I like to ask why that was left out? Mormons are meticulous historians through personal journals and the use of scribes in all the meetings even today a record is kept. How can so much history be reported incorrectly?

Also was Mormons strong belief and teachings from the Holy Bible, it being word of God just like other Christians was left out of tonight’s program. The show also misrepresented Brigham Young’s conversion to the church, witch happen over three years. He did not take to Joseph Smith and Mormonism with out a second thought.

How incorrect and misleading tonight’s show was. What a huge disappointment.

As a convert to the church for 30 years I became extremely irritated by the use of blind obedience. Never was I ever ask to just except and blindly fallow. As a strong willed women from the 60’s I found tonight’s show slanted and it failed the American people as a balanced documentary.

Mrs. W Green

Alberta Canada

I'm going to watch this once it goes online for viewing at pbs.org.

No offense Winnie, but I have a hard time believing that both Frontline and American Experience dropped the ball.

Reviews of the twin-documentaries can be perused here.

From what I've seen, these docs promise to make good watching.

As for "Heroes" being the better show...you are kidding. Right? Right?! :P

My family and I watched it last night (we taped 24!). I thought it was okay. I thought they focused too much on Mountain Meadows and on Polygamy. MM was depicted as the result of years of persecution and the "blind obedience" thing, which kind of rubbed me wrong. I have no doubt that some of the members committed murder. But what they left out was that there was some confrontation btw the Fancher party and the Mormons, and that there were some that claimed to have taken part in Parley Pratt's assassination, or at least condoned it, and I remember reading somewhere that some of them even said they had Parley in a barrel in the wagon train (that may be a faith promoting rumor...). To say the least, these were not innocent people that just happened across a bunch of mind numbed robots doing Brigham Young's bidding. That doesn't excuse what happened, but it does help understand why some of the men cracked, I believe.

On polygamy, they kept stating that this was the doctrine we wish we could ignore and get out of our past. I don't! It was divinely given, it was renounced (not denounced) in order to save the church from having all of its property confiscated and its leadership jailed (which very possibly could have led to a huge apostasy). I believe that some day it will come back. I don't know when, I don't know how, but I believe it will. Not that I want or need another wife! :P I drive her nuts and she me--besides, I don't need her to have an ally...

They also had people on there that portrayed Joseph as a charlatan, as an oversexed tyrant in ways, etc. Nothing new there.

I think this was a good thing. It will lead to conversations, and I think that in the long run this will be good because of the questions it raises. I already had a woman here at work tell me how excited she was to watch it. Now I'll have the opportunity to correct some of the misleading paths this went down and maybe help her see...

I'm looking forward to tonight. I'm particularly wanting to see the clip about the black woman in Oakland that is now the RS President. They had a clip of her last night: these guys tell me about a white boy, a dead angel, and some gold plates!

How preposterous it sounds! But how true it is, and how grateful I am that I believe the Prophet Joseph.

Guest Username-Removed

I thought it was pretty well done, though the "blind obedience" thing was a bit much, as well as the comment that going on a mission is "essentially mandatory".

I didnt watch it and Im glad I didnt. PBS programs have never been what I've wanted to watch, so Im not surprised that people are saying about it.

I watched part one with my wife tonight and while most of what was there seemed fairly accurate or at least accurately fair, the essence of Mormonism seemed to escape The Mormons. If I knew nothing more than what was contained in this report about the Mormons, I would think the Mormons were mainly into polygamy and strict blind obedience to priesthood leadership void of any personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Perhaps the true essence of Mormonism brings low ratings. Faith in the LORD Jesus Christ, Repentance, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins, and the Laying on of Hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost have either been overlooked by Frontline, or they just don't make for good reporting.

Furthermore, the vagueness of the position and definition of Temple Sealings herein leave one to ask just what they are.

At least a good representation of faith in the literal resurrection has been put forth. Furthermore, the corporeal nature of the Godhead was well described.

The imagery in some cases had me scratching my head as well. Moroni looked like a red-headed woman and Joseph's boyhood home looked like a scene from a Tim Burton movie.

The mention of the hat being involved with translating the Book of Mormon has gained momentum over the years. The antis think they have found a weapon in that hat. They think saying a 23 year old farm-boy put his face in a hat and dictated the Book of Mormon from his imagination should cast doubts in my mind. Now that is quite a miracle! Can you put your face in a hat and give us 530 pages equivilant to the Book of Mormon? Come on now, I thought you were trying to anti me, not build my faith!

Perhaps the message of the restored Gospel will surface in part 2.

-a-train

I watched part one on pbs.org tonight.

Overall it was well done, though I agree a-train, they focused too much on data and not enough on our precious doctrines.

At least it was a balanced presentation, neither for or against the LDS Church.

They spent way too much time on modern-day polygamists. They have nothing to do with our Church anymore. But oh well, how could any producer pass up such a sumptuous morsel as polygamists? ;)

I kept getting jarred out of the experience of the show by noticing that several parts of the soundtrack are from Apple's Final Cut Studio which I own. I just kept smiling to myself, saying, "You cheap-o's, couldn't you acquire some original music?" Hahahaha, ah well, I use some of those pre-packaged music loops myself so...I have to keep myself from casting metaphorical stones. B)

Part 2 wasn't much better, I'm afraid. I know it wasn't supposed to be a proselyting tool, but the talked to some "Mormon Intellectuals" that wanted to preach false doctrine, period. One woman made the HC Court sound like a kangaroo court, never bringing up how it actually worked, etc., and the whole blind obedience, repression of women, etc., came thru again.

But there were good parts too. The woman from Oakland was a hoot, and her testimony really shined thru, I felt. So did the two stories of the families that had illness/death and their strong conviction and testimony of the sealing power and that families continue forever.

I felt they focussed too much on the temple and made it sound like we do really weird things in there (kind of quaint to some, etc.), almost like we do animal sacrifice, etc.

Oh well, it was from the outside looking in, and maybe that is how the world really sees us??

I actually thought it was very good. Mostly acurate, unapologetic. and intellectually honest. I listened to an interview with the documentary's producer on WNYC (NYC's PBS radio station) the morning after the 1st episode; it gave me an even greater appreciation for what a superb job she did in trying to present a clear, coherent picture of our beloved church to the "outside" world. If we are honest with ourselves we understand this is no easy task. Our church and it's history defy explanation in conventional terms, especially in a country where other people's religious traditions tend to be so homogenous. We simply do not fit that homogenous mold. Overall I thought she found a vernacular, a voice, that for an outsider who does not share our beliefs was remarkable in it's fairness and honesty. I was happy to see a variety of speakers at different levels of authority respond to some really difficult questions about who we are and what our church is, especially on an historical level. Too often we as a church have ducked the criticisms or glossed over the misteps and abberant behaviour of those who paticipated in bringing this glorious work to pass. That many, even our beloved Joseph, had feet of clay should be a comfort to all of us. If those truths make us wince, and in many cases they should, then all the better. It can only make us better Mormons when we come to terms with them truthfully. To be able to say "yes, that happened and it was a terrible thing", or "yes it happened, I don't know why or I don't understand it" can only bring us closer to understanding what we believe and why we believe it. And I would rather those outside our faith develop an opinion about us based on an entire truthful picture, warts and all, than on a carefully edited version of it.

I do agree with some of the previous posts regrding inacuracies or omissions - especially those having to do with obedience and the Temple, but I think most of those instances arise from trying to explain the peculiarities of our faith from a point of view outside the author's personal experience or understanding. I felt they were honest mistakes, not intentional distortions.

For anyone who has not done so already, I strongly suggest you read Richard Bushman's book "Rough Stone Rolling". It fleshes out in astonishing detail Joseph's life (both the man and the Prophet) and the early days of the church. You will come away even more aprreciative of our beloved church and the truly "marvelous" nature of this "work" and what a "wonder" it really is.

I enjoyed the documentary, especially the first part. I liked how they explained the religious atmosphere that JS grew up in. I feel it was presented historically correct based on what I have read. I was particularily surprised and pleased with Dallin Oaks' feelings about MMM. I will probably order the DVD.

M.

I'd say overall, I like it. Perhaps it serves a purpose to have someone tell it from the outside. We could pick it apart and mention things like the fact that persons in a Disciplinary Council are NOT alone, they are with their Bishop who is only there as a friend and comfort. Furthermore, half the Council has only the purpose to see to it that as much mercy as possible is extended to the individual. Additionally the brethren in such Councils should not harbor any notion that the individual is hereby cut off and they will never be seen again, but shake the hands of the individual and even offer comfort and friendship which literally should extend to them in every setting. The purpose of disfellowshipping and excommunication is to keep them from further breaking of covenants and the ultimate goal is to see them back in full fellowship. But this would be nitpicky.

I seriously had tears on many of the testimonies in the film.

-a-train

A friend of mine heard a radio interview with the writer/director Helen Whitney who mentioned she was disappointed with some of the editing. The impression my friend got was that there were some imbalances of viewpoints in the final version that Whitney didn't intend. Anyway, transcripts of the interviews are available at pbs.org, and these are very interesting to read if one has the time! One can get a better sense of what each person was saying, with more context. As fas as I'm concerned it was four hours of good television, even if I didn't agree with every statement. Helps us as lds to think about our testimonies and formulate positive ways of responding to questions.