Help needed finding a conference talk.

applepansy

I have been looking for a conference talk. I remember it from a few years ago and my husband says there was a similar talk back in the 80s. It was warning women about parties selling lingerie and other adult items. My adult daughter went to one and now wants to host one. She doesn't believe me that these parties are not good. I'm hoping to find the talk so that she understands its not just her mother's opinon.

thank you.

I can't find anything. I've googled all sorts of terms that I can't write here...most of them I never imagined I'd place after the words "mormon general authority" and other similes.

I have my doubts that this was ever really addressed. Even if it were, I'd be hard pressed to take it as more than an opinion. While I find such parties to be in poor taste, I don't find them any more "inappropriate" than tupperware parties or other such in-home sales schemes.

It was warning women about parties selling lingerie and other adult items. My adult daughter went to one and now wants to host one. She doesn't believe me that these parties are not good. I'm hoping to find the talk so that she understands its not just her mother's opinon.e

What? Was she not listening when she went to young women's? I am going to make a statement that is making me feel old. What is wrong with this younger generation. Hey wait. Around how old is said daughter? I hope she isn't my age (38). :)

What? Was she not listening when she went to young women's? I am going to make a statement that is making me feel old. What is wrong with this younger generation. Hey wait. Around how old is said daughter? I hope she isn't my age (38). :)

It never came up when I was in young womens, and I'm not much younger than you. (31)

Applepansy was concerned about bringing up this topic in looking for the talk.

So let's keep it just to help with finding the talk...not in discussion of whether these type parties etc are appropriate.

Thanks.

Didn't find anything specific, but the below seems to fit:

“Sin, like a journey, begins with the first step; and wisdom and experience teach that it is easier to resist the first temptation than later ones, when a pattern of transgression has begun to develop. This is demonstrated in the story of the lark. Sitting in the high branches of a tree safe from harm, he saw a traveler walking through the forest carrying a mysterious little black box. The lark flew down and perched on the traveler’s shoulder. ‘What do you have in the little black box?’ he asked.

“‘Worms,’ the traveler replied.

“‘Are they for sale?’

“‘Yes, and very cheaply, too. The price is only one feather for a worm.’

“The lark thought for a moment. ‘I must have a million feathers. Surely, I’ll never miss one of them. Here is an opportunity to get a good dinner for no work at all.’ So he told the man he would buy one. He searched carefully under his wing for a tiny feather. He winced a bit as he pulled it out, but the size and quality of the worm made him quickly forget the pain. High up in the tree again he began to sing as beautifully as before.

“The next day he saw the same man and once again he exchanged a feather for a worm. What a wonderful, effortless way to get dinner!

“Each day thereafter the lark surrendered a feather, and each loss seemed to hurt less and less. In the beginning he had many feathers, but as the days passed he found it more difficult to fly. Finally, after the loss of one of his primary feathers, he could no longer reach the top of the tree, let alone fly up into the sky. In fact he could do no more than flutter a few feet in the air, and was forced to seek his food with the quarrelsome, bickering sparrows.

“The man with the worms came no more, for there were no feathers to pay for the meals. The lark no longer sang because he was so ashamed of his fallen state.

“This is how unworthy habits possess us—first painfully, then more easily, until at last we find ourselves stripped of all that lets us sing and soar. This is how freedom is lost. This is how we become enmeshed in sin” (The Miracle of Forgiveness [1969], 214–15).

Controlling our thoughts, dressing modestly, and obeying the commandments of our Heavenly Father are ways we can keep ourselves pure and develop worthy habits.

Duties and Blessings of the Priesthood: Basic Manual for Priesthood Holders, Part A Lesson 34: Moral Cleanliness

I can't find anything. I've googled all sorts of terms that I can't write here...most of them I never imagined I'd place after the words "mormon general authority" and other similes.

I have my doubts that this was ever really addressed. Even if it were, I'd be hard pressed to take it as more than an opinion. While I find such parties to be in poor taste, I don't find them any more "inappropriate" than tupperware parties or other such in-home sales schemes.

A party selling sex toys is vastly different than a Tupperware party. But according to your post, it would be a-okay for someone to bring their ten year old to such a party. And, hey, let's have one of those parties as a fundraiser for the ward. After all, it's no more inappropriate than Tupperware, right?

Parties that sell "adult items" are usually selling sex toys, as well.Of every kind you can imagine. And some you probably can't.

Their popularity seems to surge again every few years. And the lingerie the usually sell.....I can't even think of a delicate way to describe it.

I am sure if you consulted any member of the First Presidency, they'd tell you to go for it!

Applepansy was concerned about bringing up this topic in looking for the talk.

So let's keep it just to help with finding the talk...not in discussion of whether these type parties etc are appropriate.

Thanks.

Right. Because we wouldn't want anyone reading this forum to get the impression that we're not a "if it feels good, do it" kind of church.

A party selling sex toys is vastly different than a Tupperware party. But according to your post, it would be a-okay for someone to bring their ten year old to such a party. And, hey, let's have one of those parties as a fundraiser for the ward. After all, it's no more inappropriate than Tupperware, right?

Wow. Talk about taking things to an absurd extreme. Just because I don't think the parties are inappropriate doesn't mean I don't think discretion is unnecessary.

But I'll be completely honest. I find absolutely nothing inappropriate about these parties if the participants and their partners are mutually agreed about what is and isn't appropriate in their relationships.

Parties that sell "adult items" are usually selling sex toys, as well.Of every kind you can imagine. And some you probably can't.

Their popularity seems to surge again every few years. And the lingerie the usually sell.....I can't even think of a delicate way to describe it.

I was previously aware of this. But thanks anyway.

I am sure if you consulted any member of the First Presidency, they'd tell you to go for it!

I'm sure they would be willing to share with me their own personal opinion on the matter. I'm not so sure they would care to state that their personal opinion on the matter should be generally and universally applied throughout the Church membership.

Also, I am of the opinion that a tupperware party would be an extremely inappropriate ward fundraiser.