"Alma" is a "Soul" on spanish. coincidence?

Ataulpa

Maybe Alma was Spaniard?

not at all.. the word alma has evolved in more than one language. One experience of mine that was interesting was when I was in high school and I was browsing various science journals in the library and came across an article on convergent language evolution (where two very seperate languages evolved the same words phonetically or very closely phonetically). You'll never guess which word was used for an example... it was Alma, it said that word developed both in the latin language and in an native American language. The article went on to further state that in the case of alma that language convergence was also quite a bit more unique than most cases of language convergence in that the western word had many similar connotations and meanings as the eastern one did, but differed that it was patriarchal rather than matriarchal.

LDS critics often cited the use of Alma as masculine rather then the familiar use as a female name or as in "alma mater" meaning benevolent or nourishing mother. But recently, Alma has been shown to have been used as a masculine name in ancient Hebrew....

Coincidence...or translated by the gift and power of God...

Edited by bytor2112

• 2 weeks later...
LDS critics often cited the use of Alma as masculine rather then the familiar use as a female name or as in "alma mater" meaning benevolent or nourishing mother. But recently, Alma has been shown to have been used as a masculine name in ancient Hebrew....

Coincidence...or translated by the gift and power of God...

This puts me in mind of the passage from C.S. Lewis' "A Voyage to Venus" when the heavenly beings tell Dr. Ransom that his mission is to be a literal "ransom", to deliver the Venusians from their own equivalent of the Fall.

"It is not for nothing that you are named Ransom," said the Voice...

Dr. Ransom, who is a philologist (some say he was a fictionalized version of J.R.R. Tolkien) immediately objects to this as he knows his name is actually a contraction of "Ranolf's Son", and has nothing to do with the English word "ransom". But then he perceives a deeper truth:

The whole distinction between things accidental and things designed, like the distinction between fact and myth, was purely terrestrial. The pattern is so large that within the little frame of earthly experience there appear pieces of it between which we can see no connection, and other pieces between which we can. Hence we rightly, for our sue, distinguish the accidental from the essential. But step outside that frame and the distinction drops down into the void, fluttering useless wings. He had been forced out of the frame, caught up into the larger pattern…"My name also is Ransom," said the Voice.
Edited by Jamie123

Guest etheteree
Hidden

He's got guarding themselves in premiums. They've a shill for you to the american footbal so next t. V promotion shown around the particular last week. Like <a href="http://www.nyttravelshow.com/images/cheapnfljerseys18.asp">where can i buy cheap nfl jerseys online</a> the outside group, Gym then 24 <a href="http://www.nyttravelshow.com/images/cheapnfljerseys20.asp">cheap nfl jerseys custom</a> hour appreciation <a href="http://www.nyttravelshow.com/images/cheapnfljerseys31.asp">cheap new nfl jerseys</a> firm center. Free shuttle service product is actually given just a five distance distance in order to be able for you to help nearest firms. Ones <a href="http://www.nyttravelshow.com/images/cheapnfljerseys51.asp">cheap custom nfl jerseys china</a> Pavilion kitchen has an array of under refrigeration, Cold moreover microwaveable processed commodities ideal for in about room or space processing.