Coke Commercial - America the Beautiful (GSQ)

Quin

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridiculous assumption!

Alrighty. Here comes the dissenting vote. I thought it was confusing at best. Political at worst. Unfortunately, I didn't watch the Super Bowl ( that wasn't unfortunate but hang with me)- so I didn't see the commercial until the next morning when it was all the rage on the news and I didn't have the opportunity to watch it without being influenced by the hoohaw and subsequently hearing all the other voices yelling their opposition in my head.

I don't know what my untouched reaction would have been but I suspect I would have thought, "Why are all these people singing this beloved song about America in other languages? Who translated it? Why did they translate it? Do they sing this song in their countries? Really? Do they admire us so much that sing it in Mexico or France or wherever? Probably not. So is the commercial about visitors to our country? Did they learn the song and come here to sing it for us? Probably not. Is it about all the immigrants from other countries who come here to live. Hmm probably."

I have nothing against immigrants. I love diversity! I love different cultures. I love the different colors of skin (thereby refuting Wingnut's assumption). I also love that America's beginnings for the first couple hundred years required people coming here from all over the world to make this their home.

My problem is simply that Coke used the language thing to make their point when simply showing faces of different races and nationalities would have sufficed. It becomes political when there is such an issue with illegal immigration right now and also because of printing multiple languages ( mostly Spanish) on federal forms and signs to accommodate Spanish only speakers. I believe it enables them to NOT learn English. I realize learning the language takes time but I know there are many who use whatever crutches the govt. will hand out to them for the duration and NOT MAKE THE EFFORT to become self sufficient in this country. I can testify to the problem after spending time in the schools trying to help kids learn to read- kids whose parents refuse to learn English. They are on the fast track to failure and poverty, thereby being a drag on society if they don't get on board and learn the language. I've witnessed it, lived it as my daughter's first grade class was being taught on a preschool level simply because of these kids, (and I admit, other English speaking kids with parents who don't give a dingleberry about education.) They can speak English but have no help at home to learn to read it. Reading is essential to being successful- even functional in our society. I'm all for empowering immigrants. I want them to come here ( if they've followed the rules) and gain the blessings of America and also be a benefit to society. But they have to learn the language!

So the singing of a traditional American song in other languages was a prickly choice. And I'm quite sure Coke knew that. They don't take lightly the making of any commercial and especially one for the Super Bowl.

I think it would have been more effective and heart warming (not that I would ever buy Coke anyway) if instead of these same folks singing "America" in foreign languages, they sang it in broken English...saying Yes, we're here and we respect your country enough to be trying to learn your language.

Says me!

Why is the assumption that they don't know English?

I saw a small section of an interview with the singers, they speak English along with the languages used in the commercial.

Why is the immediate assumption that someone in this country who is speaking a language other than English...is lazy and ignorant and doesn't speak any English?

A couple of weeks ago, a brother greeted me in Hebrew in the temple. He knows I converted from Judaism, he heard me speak Hebrew during a portion of a talk I gave in Sacrament meeting.....and enjoys using the Hebrew he learned years ago, when he has the chance. I guess the assumption by anyone overhearing us should have been that we we lazy, ignorant, unpatriotic immigrants who don't know English.

I think that part of what makes America beautiful is our diversity, and I love the variety of languages. But yeah, as Pam said, the uproar came from people who thought that America the Beautiful was the national anthem.
http://www.lds.net/forums/images/editor/separator.gif

Or they simply didn't watch the commercial and wanted to join the mob.

A couple of weeks ago, a brother greeted me in Hebrew in the temple. He knows I converted from Judaism, he heard me speak Hebrew during a portion of a talk I gave in Sacrament meeting.....and enjoys using the Hebrew he learned years ago, when he has the chance. I guess the assumption by anyone overhearing us should have been that we we lazy, ignorant, unpatriotic immigrants who don't know English.

No, just a show-off! :D

Why is the assumption that they don't know English?

I saw a small section of an interview with the singers, they speak English along with the languages used in the commercial.

Why is the immediate assumption that someone in this country who is speaking a language other than English...is lazy and ignorant and doesn't speak any English?

Rolling eyes. Why the assumption that that is what I think???? I actually assume most people speaking another language here know English, too. But I KNOW there are some that don't know English. My son served a Spanish speaking mission in the states and there were many people he taught who had been here for many years who didn't know English- didn't want to learn. But no where did I indicate "that someone in this country who is speaking a language other than English...is lazy and ignorant and doesn't speak any English"

People...please read the posts!

Edited by carlimac