If your choice is to be single or to marry out, what should you do?

Sunday21

Tongue-Barely-In-Cheek

I just think there's this huge untapped market of good Catholic Boys who would have become priests without that whole pesky vow of celibacy. Over heeeeeeere. Yooohoo.

I'm a terrible person.

Q

No quin, horses are terrible people!

I used to think as a very young child you had to get married like by law or something and the only way you didn't was becoming some sort of priest. I hated both those idea's, and was happy to find out marriage is a choice and I didn't have to do that.

Or that you can marry a Nintendo DS :lol:

Actually...it kind of does... I would imagine it would be easier to keep members if they are happy even if married to a non member, then sad and alone.

What is a valid reason to throw in a towel? You don't think its a tad cruel to tell people "so sorry, you'll be alone forever cause people out there are terrible, sucks to be you I guess"

I just don't understand the both open and closed Mormon culture

Actually it doesn't, I dare you to find a catholic priest or a Jewish rabbi that would encourage you to marry outside of their perspective religions please ask if it is something that they would recommend.

Our culture is not closed the people in it are. Mormons are a weird bunch and the "normals" as I like to call them are few and far between.

a culture is a people, if you take away a people you don't have a culture, it's just stories and ideas.

The Mormons are the culture, they made it and keep it alive.

As I said I don't understand its culture, or people or whatever you want to call it.

The people want more members but are closed off or the culture is, whatever, call it what you want.

It's closed off, but unlike others, they keep saying they want people, they go to your door!

They seem to want nothing to do with the community, all the other churches do a huge amount of things (its always advertized in the paper) and the LDS one never does.

You'd think a church that is actively trying to get members would...I donno, let people know they exist? My family has lived here for decades and had no idea they were there, most don't and this isn't a big city, actually its more like a large town.

Kind of hard to hide things, but they do it pretty well.

One would assume they'd be all gung ho about community involvement, not just their own community. That doesn't exactly draw people in when you keep to yourselves.

I wondered that too but now I know why. The other churches have paid clergy so the members have far fewer responsibilities. Lds all have callings and lots of kids so they ate fully booked.

[ You don't think its a tad cruel to tell people "so sorry, you'll be alone forever cause people out there are terrible, sucks to be you I guess"

They remind us that we will be able to marry in the next life.

Except that if you were single in this life, Mormons can't perform vicarious sealing for you. If you were married in this life, they can.

I wondered that too but now I know why. The other churches have paid clergy so the members have far fewer responsibilities. Lds all have callings and lots of kids so they ate fully booked.

And you think that's the best idea? To focus everything inwards when you want to go outwards?

And something like putting my faith in the afterlife, a life I am not totally sure exists, not something I want to do, and not something a lot of people want to do I imagine.

Except that if you were single in this life, Mormons can't perform vicarious sealing for you. If you were married in this life, they can.

That is my understanding as well.  I do know of one instance where President Faust waived it.  But that's the only one I've heard of.

...can't now...because we wouldn't know who to seal to whom. But these sealings will have to be done by proxy by someone at some point. Ordinances must be done in mortality.