The ministering of angels

Backroads

Can you clarify the discussion (I assume you mean debate) points to address more specifically?

I would think it means exactly what it seems to. Angels minister to us. I suspect the only lack of clarity would come in what defines an angel. I would say, anyone serving God qualifies.

In terms of priesthood keys a la D&C 13 ("upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I confer the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels,"), I've explained this in terms of a preparatory gospel.  With the Melchizedek priesthood, we are authorized to give blessings by inspiration with the expectation that we are able to hear and interpret the will of the Lord.  A 12 year old may not have developed that same spiritual maturity, and so, as part of the preparatory priesthood, I tell them it is well within their authority to call upon angels to minister to those around them--said angels are likely to be able to hear and interpret the will of the Lord and intervene appropriately.  In this sense, the ministering of angels is a method that inexperienced (or even unsure) priesthood holders can provide blessings to those they serve.

Even now, when I give blessings to people, if I don't have a clear idea of what blessings to give, I will bless the person with the presence of angels (or something to that effect).  

What it means in terms of your sister-in-law's patriarchal blessing...I don't know.  Probably not that far off though.

• 3 weeks later...

The ministering of angels is more common than one might think.  Remember Paul said, "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares" (Hebrews 13:2).  A resurrected being can conceal his glory, just as Jesus did when he appeared to the two disciples on the road to Emmaus.

Angels who are spirits of the unborn or the dead who have not yet been resurrected can minister to us without our seeing them.  I heard a story of a man who was seriously ill on an airplane who felt hands laid upon his head as if he were receiving a blessing.  Shortly after the plane landed, he went to the hospital needing to have his appendix removed.  People have been protected in tornadoes, floods, fires, car accidents, and a myriad other dangers by angels.  

It's interesting that a person would be have that as a specific gift or counsel given in a patriarchal blessing, but very cool!

Can you clarify the discussion (I assume you mean debate) points to address more specifically?

I would think it means exactly what it seems to. Angels minister to us. I suspect the only lack of clarity would come in what defines an angel. I would say, anyone serving God qualifies.

I think defining "minister" is also helpful as minister (verb) - simply means to attend to the needs of someone.  Does it have to be in person?  What would keep an angel from ministering to one's needs at a distance?

In other words, would it be possible to have ministering angels that do their thing without anybody having to know about it?  Or is it something that has to be experienced by the receiver?

If she is righteous I have no doubt angels have ministered to her and continue to do so. She is simply unaware of their presence. When our minds and hearts are right before God then we will see them (Moroni 7:30). The ministering of angels is an outpouring of the Spirit. Those who walk in the spirit hear their words, feel their presence, and know them.   

Of course this is just a step on the road of sanctification. Paul clarifies for the Hebrews the importance of looking to the Son of God and not simply angels. It appears the Hebrews were to focused on this subject for he says, "[Christ] being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou are my Son, this day have I begotten thee?" (Hebrews 1:4-5).  He continues to show how the Son is superior to angels. The chapter ends with this interesting comment, "Therefore, angels are only servants - spirits sent to care for people who will inherit salvation." (Heb 1:14 NLT). Then our work is to ensure our inheritance and we will be cared for.