Good Gifts and Their Counterfeits

notquiteperfect

A degree is not knowledge. A degree is status.

Uhm no.  A degree is a standard of your knowledge.  When I show you my Engineering Diploma from the University of <whatever> it is not to establish a status.  It is to tell you what I know and the quality (reliability) of that knowledge so you can have a gauge of the knowledge I possess in that field of study that may be of use to you without having to go through months of trial-and-error.

Uhm no.  A degree is a standard of your knowledge.  When I show you my Engineering Diploma from the University of <whatever> it is not to establish a status.  It is to tell you what I know and the quality (reliability) of that knowledge so you can have a gauge of the knowledge I possess in that field of study that may be of use to you without having to go through months of trial-and-error.

Maybe you need to look up the meaning of the word "status".

A degree is not knowledge. A degree is status.

But a degree symbolizes that the bearer thereof has attained knowledge in a certain area or areas. And though we will not take the piece of paper that is our degree with us to the eternities, we will certainly take with us the knowledge that it represents. Edited by Silhouette

Maybe you need to look up the meaning of "not knowledge".

Nice. Very mature. I know you are but what am I...  :rolleyes:

I know full well the meaning of "not knowledge" (which wouldn't have a definition as it is a phrase not a word). And there are plenty of people with degrees who do not have it. You're philosophy fails to take into account barely scraping by, cheating, soft teachers, interpersonal biases, and a variety of other variables that allow for accreditation without the so-called knowledge being in place.

A degree is not knowledge. It should indicate knowledge, but it is an unreliable indicator.

I'm not discussing this any more. You either can't understand or you too stubborn to accept when you're mistaken. Fine. Either way, I don't want to get into it any further.

Think what you will.

But a degree symbolizes that the bearer thereof has attained knowledge in a certain area or areas. And though we will not take the piece of paper that is our degree with us to the eternities, we will certainly take with us the knowledge that it represents.

I'll answer with some words of wisdom

... The action, not the piece of paper, is what's important.

I'll leave this thread with this caution from a pretty smart guy whom I've had the pleasure of meeting personally.

He goes on to explain what makes the robes of Academia different than the robes of the Priesthood is precisely what is wrong with them—they are worldly, opulent, apostate symbols, outwardly proclaiming stations, attainments, or degrees which neither rightly profess the inward intelligence of their wearers nor their attainment of any true light or skill of merit.

a counterfeit for Priesthood?...seems like one of our greatest Academics agrees.

Nice. Very mature. I know you are but what am I...  :rolleyes:

I know full well the meaning of "not knowledge" (which wouldn't have a definition as it is a phrase not a word). And there are plenty of people with degrees who do not have it. You're philosophy fails to take into account barely scraping by, cheating, soft teachers, interpersonal biases, and a variety of other variables that allow for accreditation without the so-called knowledge being in place.

A degree is not knowledge. It should indicate knowledge, but it is an unreliable indicator.

I'm not discussing this any more. You either can't understand or you too stubborn to accept when you're mistaken. Fine. Either way, I don't want to get into it any further.

Think what you will.

I was simply responding to your instruction to look up the meaning of Status.  Meaning - that, when you read my post, you concluded that what I was saying portrayed a Status... so I got back at you saying - look up the meaning of "not knowledge" which is to say, that everything I said pointed towards knowledge.

I am not mistaken.  My family is a product of Academia.  It is very important to us.

But like I said - Academia, like the Computer, is neither good nor bad.  It is the PERSON who wields it that makes it either good or bad.

I'll leave this thread with this caution from a pretty smart guy whom I've had the pleasure of meeting personally.

He goes on to explain what makes the robes of Academia different than the robes of the Priesthood is precisely what is wrong with them—they are worldly, opulent, apostate symbols, outwardly proclaiming stations, attainments, or degrees which neither rightly profess the inward intelligence of their wearers nor their attainment of any true light or skill of merit.

a counterfeit for Priesthood?...seems like one of our greatest Academics agrees.

I am sorry your experience has been negative with Academia.  Mine has been positive.  But I'm Filipino.  Filipinos don't go to college to be "worldly and opulent and brandish about a diploma that does not profess the knowledge of the name on it".  It's not worth the money.

The robes of Academia is the same as the robes of the Priesthood as it is applied to its specific function.  It is only worldly, opulent, and "puffed up" IF the person wielding it is worldly, opulent, and "puffed up".  This is no different than the robes of the Priesthood.  The Priesthood itself is righteous... but there are Priests - even Bishops - who use their Priesthood Authority for "puffing up".

Academia is necessary to standardize knowledge.  If you go to a doctor, you will want to know that that doctor has the proper knowledge and license to treat your medical condition.

Edited by anatess

You missing allot here Anatess.

The Priesthood robes I wear are no different the the robes worn by our living Prophet when he is in the temple. They are worn as a symbol of promise of the covenants I've made not symbols of station or attainments or levels of intelligence. 

This is the very thing that Satan wants us to focus on, power and worldly acquisition. 

Study and meditation in the Temple can help us identify and see thru Satan's counterfeits. His Priesthoods are vastly different then the actual Priesthood.

Academia is the means we attain "Higher Education" (lol) in this life, it's corrupt, inefficient and a mess and thankfully it's days are numbered as Heavenly Father will provide incorruptible, pure ways to attain knowledge going forward.