"Be in the world but not of the world"...?

Beccabee2

There are many LDS blog posts about the famous saying, "The Lord will not give you more than you can handle" and comparing it to the scriptural references that this saying was taken from. Trying to redirect our understanding of what exactly what the scripture in 1 Corinthians 10:13 was really saying. 

So in line with this....where does this saying, "Be in the world but not of the world" come from? Are there any scriptural references to this statement that is pretty common in the LDS culture? Are there any conference talks that relate to this similar saying? 

I'm always curious as to where some of these sayings come from and whether or not we've misconstrued them or that they're just simplifying doctrine into layman's terms. 

Just my curious thoughts late at night...

As far as scriptural references the adage derives from John 15:19 and John 17:14-16.

As for Conference talks, James A. Cullimore (Assistant to the Twelve) gave a talk titled "To Be in the World but Not of the World" in Oct. 1973. 

Also, L. Tom Perry gave a Conference talk (April 1988) where he references John 15:19 and says, "From the teachings of the Savior we have adopted the common saying in the Church, 'to be in the world, but not of the world.' Normally, when this saying is used, we are emphasizing our need to stay free from sin and materialism which are so prevalent in the world in which we live."

The Feb 2006 Ensign has an article by Quentin L. Cook titled "Lessons from the Old Testament: In the World but Not of the World", and in the 2013 Priesthood/RS Manual, (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Fielding Smith) Lesson 19 is titled "In the World but Not of the World"

No doubt there are many more, but it's 1:30 in the morning and I have work to do.  :money:  

I can understand the prophets and apostles using this saying to help us know how to live on this earth but stay clean from the stain of it. However, Hugh Nibley saw it differently, which I can also appreciate. He said:

But should I ask for tribulation? I live in the real world, don't I? Yes, and I have been commanded to "come out of her . . . lest ye partake of her plagues." It is not given "unto you that ye shall live after the manner of the world"24. Well, then, you must be "in the world but not of the world." That happens to be a convenient para-scripture (we have quite a few of them today), invented by a third-century Sophist (Diognetos), to the great satisfaction of the church members who were rapidly becoming very worldly. The passage as it appears in the scriptures says quite the opposite: "For whatsoever is in the world is .. . not of the Father, but is of the world" [1 John 2:16] .
https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/Dialogue_V12N04_31.pdf

In doing a little digging it appears the phrase comes not from Diogenetus but from Mathetes wherein he says:

In a word, what the soul is to the body, Christians are to the world. The soul is dispersed through all the members of the body, and Christians throughout the cities of the world. The soul dwells in the body, but is not of the body; likewise Christians dwell in the world, but are not of the world. The soul, which is invisible, is confined in the body, which is visible, in the same way, Christians are recognized as being in the world, and yet their religion remains invisible. (Epistle from Mathetes to Diogenetus, Ch 6)

Seems to me (without looking into it at all) that being in the world but not of the world is pretty straight forward. Being in the world is literal. We are. Simple. But, of course, there are extremists who would entirely shut themselves from the world, never interact with others, etc. I think there's a time and a place for that, but generally speaking, you have a job, you go to school, you go out to eat, you go to movies and theater, etc.

Not of the world, of course, is also fairly plain to me. Don't go to bad movies just because the world makes them and advocates their normalcy. Don't work a job where you are exposed to things you shouldn't be (as far as you can help it, and within reason). Don't join in with the way other students act, behave, and think just because it is trendy. Don't waste your money on going out to eat when you can't afford it, etc. And, above all, be Christ-like and bring the gospel the world, standing for Him at all times and in all places.

Seems to me (without looking into it at all) that being in the world but not of the world is pretty straight forward. Being in the world is literal. We are. Simple. But, of course, there are extremists who would entirely shut themselves from the world, never interact with others, etc. I think there's a time and a place for that, but generally speaking, you have a job, you go to school, you go out to eat, you go to movies and theater, etc.

Not of the world, of course, is also fairly plain to me. Don't go to bad movies just because the world makes them and advocates their normalcy. Don't work a job where you are exposed to things you shouldn't be (as far as you can help it, and within reason). Don't join in with the way other students act, behave, and think just because it is trendy. Don't waste your money on going out to eat when you can't afford it, etc. And, above all, be Christ-like and bring the gospel the world, standing for Him at all times and in all places.

I agree with you ....and I will add....attend church regularly ....not attending at all by choice is of the world. My opinion