Best response on dancing

NightSG

Almost forgot this one from the weekend; there was a swing dance class that I visited, and ran into another LDS who was apparently doing a bit of flirt-to-convert there.

When I was about halfway through the lesson and could almost not trip over my feet for three steps in a row, she said to her date in a stage whisper, "See, it's not that Mormons can't dance, it's just that we shouldn't."

Not to be harsh, but I find  "flirt to convert" saying disrespectful. It's not a practice condoned or encouraged and doesn't really fit with LDS teachings regarding the Gospel, the plan of Salvation or true conversion.

Looking the term up on Google it's mostly used to denigrate or pervert our missionary efforts.

I'm sure it's meant to be cute, it might be said tongue in cheek but it plays into the hands of those who stand against our teachings and the trend of the worldly to paint everything good, evil, with the brush of cynicism.

Not to be harsh, but I find  "flirt to convert" saying disrespectful. It's not a practice condoned or encouraged and doesn't really fit with LDS teachings regarding the Gospel, the plan of Salvation or true conversion.

Looking the term up on Google it's mostly used to denigrate or pervert our missionary efforts.

I don't like the practice either, but I see it happening way too often; girl gets guy to come to singles activities and/or Sacrament meeting a few times, starts toning down the relationship as the missionaries take over and then dumps him shortly after he's baptized.

Then again, I've been so unimpressed with the actual morals of a disturbing number of the single LDS women I've met that this is pretty far down the list.  (The ones spiking their sodas with rum *during* the last singles Conference watching party I went to are close to the top of that list. The fact that it turned out to be more than half the "good, faithful, active LDS women with current TRs looking for a worthy Priesthood holder" at that gathering really makes me wonder why I bother with members at all.)

I don't like the practice either, but I see it happening way too often; girl gets guy to come to singles activities and/or Sacrament meeting a few times, starts toning down the relationship as the missionaries take over and then dumps him shortly after he's baptized.

Then again, I've been so unimpressed with the actual morals of a disturbing number of the single LDS women I've met that this is pretty far down the list.  (The ones spiking their sodas with rum *during* the last singles Conference watching party I went to are close to the top of that list. The fact that it turned out to be more than half the "good, faithful, active LDS women with current TRs looking for a worthy Priesthood holder" at that gathering really makes me wonder why I bother with members at all.)

But that doesn't make sense. Clearly the girl is not flirting in order to convert the guy but flirting for the same reasons anyone else flirts. The guys investigation may or may not have anything to do with the girls example and sometimes the relationship is discontinued because the investigators values change as he starts "experimenting upon the word" and the girl who introduced him doesn't care. 

The bottom line is that a righteous person would never engage in the practice and a un-righteous person doesn't care, so either way the phrase is false. It can be safe to assume that anyone that actually truly "flirts to convert" is completely ignorant of the Gospel and in my opinion probably an anomaly to go to such lengths for a falsehood.

I can agree that finding righteous single LDS people is sometimes challenging. Even my wife went thru her rebellious stage after her mission, she never had tattoos before her mission. But she is as stalwart and righteous a spouse as I could ever hope for.

I don't get it either.  Why on earth would a woman (or a man for that matter) do such a thing?  I mean, I can see someone losing interest over time and breaking up, as a process running in parallel with someone evolving in their religious beliefs.  But how do you know the two are linked?

(I still think it's a funny phrase, and I'll be using it to good-naturedly tease my teen daughters.)

Edited by NeuroTypical

But that doesn't make sense. Clearly the girl is not flirting in order to convert the guy but flirting for the same reasons anyone else flirts. The guys investigation may or may not have anything to do with the girls example and sometimes the relationship is discontinued because the investigators values change as he starts "experimenting upon the word" and the girl who introduced him doesn't care. 

One would think the same as regards lying about having the closest relative's permission to take a stranger's name to the temple; if you're righteous, lying should be out of the question, and if you're not, why do you care if someone you never met gets their ordinances done?  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen quite often, though.

This sounds like an LDS culture that exists in some of the major LDS communities through out the US (Provo Utah hello!). The girls are almost conditioned to looking at non-member guys through their spiritual eyes with a possibility to baptise them instead of starting a real relationship, while the guy thinks there is potential for a serious relationship, little does he realize that the girl was never attracted to him.

My wife "WAS" one of those sweet, beautiful, LDS females that smiled at everyone and their dog and only saw light in each entity she looked at. Guys on the other hand take a smile as a sign of flirtation, so many guys (members and non-members) thought that my wife (when she was single) was interested in them when all she was doing was smiling at them, it got so bad when she was in college that she put on a fake wedding ring to keep guys away from her.

I say "WAS" because after 12 years living with 3 kids and a stubborn husband She is not as sweet anymore and no longer LDS, but she is still beautiful. lol

Then again, I've been so unimpressed with the actual morals of a disturbing number of the single LDS women I've met that this is pretty far down the list. (The ones spiking their sodas with rum *during* the last singles Conference watching party I went to are close to the top of that list. The fact that it turned out to be more than half the "good, faithful, active LDS women with current TRs looking for a worthy Priesthood holder" at that gathering really makes me wonder why I bother with members at all.)

Sometimes you got to think of it as the lesser evil! The mind is willing but the body is weak type of thing.

Dont let the actions of individuals with their free agency deter you from your eternal goals.

I don't have allot of patience for the cultural garbage that comes out of the BoM belt, the cutesy little "morminisms" that shoot ourselves in the foot and play into the hands of those who try to marginalize our faith.

• 2 years later...
On 7/8/2015 at 2:31 PM, NightSG said:

I don't like the practice but in the south I have heard. ...date em ,dunk em, drop em

On 7/8/2015 at 11:12 PM, priesthoodpower said:

My wife "WAS" one of those sweet, beautiful, LDS females that smiled at everyone and their dog and only saw light in each entity she looked at. Guys on the other hand take a smile as a sign of flirtation, so many guys (members and non-members) thought that my wife (when she was single) was interested in them when all she was doing was smiling at them, it got so bad when she was in college that she put on a fake wedding ring to keep guys away from her.

First off: I am aware that this is a long-dead, recently resurrected thread. But I read through the whole thing anyway, and this reminded me of an illustration of male vs. female brains I heard once.

A woman walks down the street. It's a beautiful day, she got a raise at work, and she just had a delicious lunch with an old friend. So she's in a good mood and smiling at whoever crosses her path.

A man walks by and sees her smile at him. He thinks, "We don't work together and we aren't playing sports... She must WANT me!"