Fasting- how often?

How often do you suppose it's healthy to fast? Not as a long-term eating plan, but during a time when you really need to call on the powers of Heaven to come to your aid. Every other day? Three times a week?

I suppose twice a week is probably fine. Three times a week might be okay; try it and see how you feel.

If there's one thing most 21st-century Americans don't have to worry about, it's getting insufficient quantities of food.

This is an interesting question. I think there is, likely, a level of reasonable balance that would need to be applied, but wherein the line is, I'm not sure.

We should keep in mind that fasting and praying is a sign of our faith and commitment, and not the cause of anything themselves. There is no, pray 3 times a day and get 3 blessings, pray 4 and get 4, sort of relationship to it.

But the scriptures also speak of things coming after "much" prayer and fasting. Conversely, the "making of many prayers" was one of the corruptions of religion of Israel under the later kings. Point being, I think we can, theoretically, abuse over-praying, and actually turn it into a lack of faith rather than a sign of faith. The same applies, per the thread, to fasting.

Once again, I have no idea where that line is drawn. I'm just sharing my thoughts.

TFP: Your post feels right, and I think may have also answered a question or two I've been having about faith and patience in general. Sometimes I tend to try to exercise all the faith I can muster to "make something happen", which, as you said, isn't the point. Often when it doesn't work out quickly, I chalk it up to insufficient faith on my part and get discouraged about the whole thing. I think maybe instead the Lord mostly needs me to exercise "faith unto patience", for lack of a better term. I need to do what I can within reason, but then focus more on leaving the rest in His hands to deal with in His way and timing. Your post reminded me of this from the Guide to the Scriptures section on prayer.

The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that we must ask for in order to obtain.

We pray to the Father in Christ’s name (John 14:13–14; 16:23–24). We are truly able to pray in Christ’s name when our wishes are the wishes of Christ (John 15:7; D&C 46:30). We then ask for things that are right and thus possible for God to grant (3 Ne. 18:20). Some prayers remain unanswered because they in no way represent Christ’s desire but spring instead out of the selfishness of man (James 4:3; D&C 46:9).

With fasting, for example, we sacrifice our desires for food and water, submitting our will to the Lord's. We express gratitude for all we are blessed with, and give fast offerings to help those who need it. This makes us more inclined to have the same attitudes of submission, gratitude, and charity regarding what we are fasting for. To the degree that happens, God is more able to give us the blessings we need most at that time, because we are more able to receive those blessings. It won't work if we fast, pray, or seek beyond God's will and undermine our submission to His will - the essence of faith in Jesus Christ. And the answer to my question. Thanks TFP!

Anyway, with my half-relevant personal issues aside, I'll go ahead and actually address the OP now.  :lol:  As far as health goes, I personally think it depends on the person. I have family members who are seriously pushing the health limits just to get through a single 24-hour fast in the first place - not due to any particular condition that we know of, fasting just affects their system a lot more. Trying to do even one of those a week would almost definitely lead to problems for them after a few weeks. I know others who can handle a lot more. They could probably do three days a week short term with no problems.

Long story short: it depends on you. Make it a true sacrifice, but seek God's will in how much is appropriate, and don't run faster than you have strength.  ^_^

I believe if we believe that some action that we partake of is of God or that it will bring us closer to God and then we exercise sincere faith with real intent, God will not leave us hanging. He is interested in those who are willing and ready to listen. If you don't know the exact way of doing something, God will let you know. But, until you know and until you get to the point where you are ready to hear and listen to Him, He will accept your acts of faith that are sincere and with real intent, pretty much no matter what they are.

What I have learned to try to not do is to prescribe and set limits and allotments as to what God can, does, or will accept from those who approach Him in sincerity and with real intent.

-Finrock

I think Finrock's reply is apropros. It is important, however, that we exercise wisdom. But, as implied, that wisdom can be learned by listening to the Holy Spirit and, of course, using our brains and not being overly fanatical or extreme, but sincere and willing.