War Room- did any y'all go see it?

Irishcolleen

Ironhold, I hear ya!  Movies have gotten so expensive that they are a rare treat. If we go we have to go to a matinee, and that is still expensive.  We are blessed that the theaters in VA play a lot of the faith-based films that come out.

As a movie reviewer, I can see one free movie a week at the local theater; I get compensated for it as part of the job. 

If I want to see anything else, however, I have to pay out of pocket. 

Because of this, even under the best of circumstances it's got to be a really good film for me to even consider looking elsewhere. Given that I'm about to get slapped with a bunch of medical bills (I went to the ER on Monday morning for kidney stones) and I don't know what my insurance will or won't cover, this pretty much kills any prospect of going elsewhere for the rest of the year. 

I had the privilege of seeing it back in June, at a chaplains' conference. It struck me as less of a movie meant to convert non-Christians, and more of a movie prophetically calling Christians to their prayer closets.  Ironically, the movie has played well to general audiences.  Perhaps even not-yet-believers want to see followers of Jesus succeed?  :cool:

As a movie reviewer, I can see one free movie a week at the local theater; I get compensated for it as part of the job. 

If I want to see anything else, however, I have to pay out of pocket. 

Because of this, even under the best of circumstances it's got to be a really good film for me to even consider looking elsewhere. Given that I'm about to get slapped with a bunch of medical bills (I went to the ER on Monday morning for kidney stones) and I don't know what my insurance will or won't cover, this pretty much kills any prospect of going elsewhere for the rest of the year. 

Ouch!!!! I will be praying for you!

Edited by Irishcolleen

I had the privilege of seeing it back in June, at a chaplains' conference. It struck me as less of a movie meant to convert non-Christians, and more of a movie prophetically calling Christians to their prayer closets.  Ironically, the movie has played well to general audiences.  Perhaps even not-yet-believers want to see followers of Jesus succeed?  :cool:

I think it did well in general audiences because most people have a desire to be heard and cared for. The movie offered hope.

I think it did well in general audiences because most people have a desire to be heard and cared for. The movie offered hope.

Plus, this summer's movie season has been total garbage. 

All you've got to do is take a look at Box Office Mojo's tallies for the year to see that a lot of this summer's films have been duds. It should say something when a Hollywood darling like "We Are Your Friends" (#103) gets smacked down by a "Dragonball Z" film that only screened for one weekend (#87). Of all the films I've seen since the end of April, I can only think of one or two that I'd even consider seeing again, and that's even with me awarding a rare 10 / 10 to "No Escape" for not pulling any punches. 

I think a lot of people are looking for anything that's got quality to it, no matter how obscure or what the subject matter happens to be. 

I watched the preview, and... well, it's not my cup of tea.

I think some of he General Conference talks and stories would hold my interest more, than a "born againer" preaching at me.

I saw "Facing the Giant" (by the same people making this movie) and was unable to get thru the movie.  Recently in a small town of Georgia, they hauled out a tub of water and was "baptizing" players just before practice.  With cameras clicking and youtube videos posted of the baptism party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv5teKFKoKE

For me, it seems that this movie falls into that same tradition.

Edited by cdowis

Wondering what y'all thought of it? Hubby and I just saw it tonight. It has made me desire an even richer prayer life.

I think all the Kendrick bros. Movies are good faith and family promoting movies. What do most LDS seem to think of them?

I have not. I tend not to be very active in watching films at all, let alone new ones.

I watched the preview, and... well, it's not my cup of tea.

I think some of he General Conference talks and stories would hold my interest more, than a "born againer" preaching at me.

I saw "Facing the Giant" (by the same people making this movie) and was unable to get thru the movie.  Recently in a small town of Georgia, they hauled out a tub of water and was "baptizing" players just before practice.  With cameras clicking and youtube videos posted of the baptism party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv5teKFKoKE

For me, it seems that this movie falls into that same tradition.

Having seen the whole movie, I'd argue it was preaching more at Christians than at a general public.  On the other hand, if you did not favor Facing the Giants, you certainly won't like War Room.  The Christian themes are even more pervasive.

As for the baptism, it sounds like a powerful, good event took place.  It was not held in conjunction with any school events, so I'm not sure what the issue is.