Class Reunions- Yea or Nay?

Guest LiterateParakeet

High school was the worst time of my life and I wouldn't go back even if I was at gunpoint.  I would never go to a reunion. No regrets, I skipped my ten year, 15 year, and I will never go to a 20 or more. 

When people said to me "This is the best time of your life" I'd go home and literally weep. Thank God they were very, very wrong. 

I know what you mean.  High School wasn't the worst time of my life, but it wasn't a good experience.  When my children were younger, sometimes people would ask me, "You homeschool?  But you are going to let them go to High School, right?"   As if I would deprive them of some great experience if I didn't do so.  I beg to differ.

My children are all more attractive that I was (they get that from their dad), and much more self-confident than I was (they have better parents... :) )....so I think they would have been okay in high school.  But so far three of them have chosen to continue homeschool until 16 and then start college through the local Running Start program.  This system is working well for us.  I don't think they missed out on anything by not going to high school.  

I had some great times in High School but being one of few LDS I felt like a bit of an outcast no matter how many friends I had. I have not attended any re-unions because I don't see the fun in socializing with a bunch of drunks. I keep tabs on them in facebook and that's about as much as I care to do. 

If I could have a reunion it would be a middle school reunion. Definitely enjoyed the "Stand by Me", "Goonies" age of my life much more. 

If I could have a reunion it would be a middle school reunion. Definitely enjoyed the "Stand by Me", "Goonies" age of my life much more. 

My middle school reunion would be with the same people as my high school reunion.  :)

My middle school reunion would be with the same people as my high school reunion.   :)

My middle school reunion is my high school reunion... We started high school at age 11/12.  Definitely the best years of my childhood.  And school had a lot to do with that.  Even high school ROTC was fun.

College was fun too (started age 15/16) but we were always conscious of the "I'm gonna have to find a job when I graduate" responsibility so we kinda had to get really serious about school life.  Boys had to complete 2 years of ROTC and this was not fun for them - it was serious boot camp complete with white-side-wall haircuts!  I was in varsity but had to quit after 2 years because there was a lot of school work.  Friends were limited to hanging out in the hallways in between classes and an occasional weekend gathering.  It wasn't like high school where we hung out all week and all weekend too!

Edited by anatess

I don't wish to challenge you, so don't misunderstand my intention. Do you feel like elaborating on what you mean when you say you learned alot?

Where to begin?  - Prior to my experience in the military I had never met or talked to a black person.   I thought prostitutes were fictional creatures like fairies, witches and wizards.   I believed that anyone using fowl language was pure evil.  I believed that everyone at their core was rational, logical and prone to intelligence.  I was under the impression that anyone in a position of authority - earned it.  I thought I came from a normal family of love, honor, honesty and respect - and came to realize that such is a rare exception rather than the norm.  I came to realize that in most cases - people that are lost and do not know who they really are - will resent (even hate) someone that believes they and we all are of divine heritage.

Hope you get the picture.

I believed that anyone using fowl language was pure evil.  

I have to agree with you on this one.  I think anyone that uses "fowl" language is pure evil as well.  :)

My middle school reunion is my high school reunion... We started high school at age 11/12.  Definitely the best years of my childhood.  And school had a lot to do with that.  Even high school ROTC was fun.

College was fun too (started age 15/16) but we were always conscious of the "I'm gonna have to find a job when I graduate" responsibility so we kinda had to get really serious about school life.  Boys had to complete 2 years of ROTC and this was not fun for them - it was serious boot camp complete with white-side-wall haircuts!  I was in varsity but had to quit after 2 years because there was a lot of school work.  Friends were limited to hanging out in the hallways in between classes and an occasional weekend gathering.  It wasn't like high school where we hung out all week and all weekend too!

I am very impressed with your education - I have long believed that military training should be part of required standard education.  Some of my pet peeves about education are engineers designing cars that have never changed a spark plug or social political (experts?) formulating military and defensive strategies that do not know how to load and fire any modern weapons.  And in the case of separation of church and state - I do not know how anyone can believe to have any understanding of history without in depth studies of religious history and doctrines (especially religious doctrines beyond their preferred religions)

I am very impressed with your education - I have long believed that military training should be part of required standard education.  Some of my pet peeves about education are engineers designing cars that have never changed a spark plug or social political (experts?) formulating military and defensive strategies that do not know how to load and fire any modern weapons.  And in the case of separation of church and state - I do not know how anyone can believe to have any understanding of history without in depth studies of religious history and doctrines (especially religious doctrines beyond their preferred religions)

Military Training is compulsory within the Education System of the Philippines because we don't have compulsory draft.

But, Education is required for all citizens only until 6th grade*.  High School and College is optional.  1 year of ROTC for all students - any gender - is required to receive a legal Philippine High School diploma.  2 years of ROTC for male students (including gays but transgenders are exempted) was required until recently to receive legal College diploma.

So, basically, the thought was that - those who receive higher education will be equipped and ready to join the military in armed conflict or protect their own homes and communities.

* (until 2011 - they instituted a new K-12 system and Grade 10 became required by law)

Edited by anatess

Military Training is compulsory within the Education System of the Philippines because we don't have compulsory draft.

But, Education is required for all citizens only until 6th grade*.  High School and College is optional.  1 year of ROTC for all students - any gender - is required to receive a legal Philippine High School diploma.  2 years of ROTC for male students (including gays but transgenders are exempted) was required until recently to receive legal College diploma.

So, basically, the thought was that - those who receive higher education will be equipped and ready to join the military in armed conflict or protect their own homes and communities.

* (until 2011 - they instituted a new K-12 system and Grade 10 became required by law)

Educiation is important - I believe that a grade level must be completed - and in addition - two years of military service before someone can vote and if not disabled - receive government assistance.

Have many of you gone to your high school reunions? What was your experience: positive, negative, or neutral? Was it worth travelling or paying to go to events? Did it differ between your 10th and your 20th+ ?

My class stinks. For the 10th, the ones who didn't get their way had a hissy fit and our class president ended up footing hundreds of dollars of the bill. Bad planning on her part, too, and obviously she wants nothing to do with the 20th next year. The way our reunion Facebook group is bickering about what to do and when, I don't think I'll take part, either.

For high school, I didn't go to my 10th but my 20th is coming up in the next five years, and I highly doubt that I'll go. None of the people I was friends with during that time attended the last reunion and I'm guessing none of them will attend the upcoming one in a few years. I do follow our graduating class's Facebook page and it seems like the same 15 students are involved, and no one else, just them and their clique.

I'm somewhat interested in attending my private school's reunion that'll be held back in the Philippines at the end of this year but timing just seems bad. I'm not opposed to traveling with kiddos but we'll have a newborn and I'm thinking it'll just be too dang much.

G'luck with your decision.

I have to agree with you on this one.  I think anyone that uses "fowl" language is pure evil as well.   :)

I know. It always bugs me when some people get so angry they can't control their tongue and start making bird sounds, too.