The new reality - deadly armed active terrorists in the US

NeuroTypical

Watershed events. Turning points. Landmarks. Points in time marking unique or important historical changes of course.

• Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus was a watershed event.
  • "One small step for man, on giant leap for mankind." Watershed event for a generation.
  • News of the atomic bombing of Japan - watershed event.
  • When my Dad came home from WWII and saw cars all over the place where there had been no cars when he left - that was a watershed event.
  • When I was working in the tallest building in Denver, and someone turned on a TV station showing pictures of the world trade center towers - that was a watershed event.

A few days ago, we had another watershed event. With today's revelation that Tashfeen Malik pledged her allegiance to IS moments before the killing started, the picture is pretty undeniable:   A Jihadi terrorist cell, heavily armed, equipped with body armor and bombs, on US soil. They successfully carried out mass-murder of US innocents, in a gun free zone. Eventually taken down by law enforcement, on the US streets. 

The way I see it, today in America we are split into two camps.  Those who recognize the watershed event for what it is, and those who don't. Here on LDS.net, I know we have both types.

Which one are you, and why?

I agree with Vort.  It's only a watershed moment if we choose to make it so.

For a rising generation that's too young to remember 9/11, this may be a genuine "watershed moment".  But for those of us who are 30 or older, this week didn't teach us anything we shouldn't have already known.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Well, so far, our beloved leader refuses to acknowledge what we all know to be true because it doesn't fit his narrative that the IS is on the run, they've been contained, there is no credible threat, & global warming is still the greatest threat to national security.

Edited by Guest

As someone who is part of the younger generation and does not remember 9/11, I do not think this is a watershed event. Sadly, our generation is used to this. Its sad but we talk at school and church, and its not a surprise at all to most of us in the younger generation that there is an armed Jihadist cell that is attacking us on US soil...is that what you are saying is the watershed event? Because TBH this isn't that big of a deal to us. I mean of course the fact that so many innocent lives were lost is a big deal...but this is something that doesn't surprise us. It's literally just another day in this world. 

I didn't see US Flag overlays on people's profile pictures on FB.

Dunno what to make of that.

Your asking the question indicates that you do "know what to make of that."

Why people around the world hate USmerica is too complex to discuss, but it is clear they do (until we snatch them from the maws of tyranny). While I served in France, back in neolithic times, I wanted to post billboards with the words "Les américains ont tous disparu. Eh bien, presque tous."* against a background of an USmerican war cemetery in Normandy.

* The Americans have all left. Well, almost all.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

The beloved leader of whom you speak is a moslum.  It's in his book.  He states that in a confrontation with islam he sides with islam.

dc

I believe he is about as much Muslim as Jerimiah Wright is a Christian.

Your asking the question indicates that you do "know what to make of that."

Why people around the world hate USmerica is too complex to discuss, but it is clear they do (until we snatch them from the maws of tyranny). While I served in France, back in neolithic times, I wanted to post billboards with the words "Les américains ont tous disparu. Eh bien, presque tous."* against a background of an USmerican war cemetery in Normandy.

* The Americans have all left. Well, almost all.

Lehi

You know, you're the only one I know who uses USmerica.  Is there a significance to it or is it just what you like using?

Watershed events. Turning points. Landmarks. Points in time marking unique or important historical changes of course.
  • Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus was a watershed event.
  • "One small step for man, on giant leap for mankind." Watershed event for a generation.
  • News of the atomic bombing of Japan - watershed event.
  • When my Dad came home from WWII and saw cars all over the place where there had been no cars when he left - that was a watershed event.
  • When I was working in the tallest building in Denver, and someone turned on a TV station showing pictures of the world trade center towers - that was a watershed event.

A few days ago, we had another watershed event. With today's revelation that Tashfeen Malik pledged her allegiance to IS moments before the killing started, the picture is pretty undeniable:   A Jihadi terrorist cell, heavily armed, equipped with body armor and bombs, on US soil. They successfully carried out mass-murder of US innocents, in a gun free zone. Eventually taken down by law enforcement, on the US streets. 

The way I see it, today in America we are split into two camps.  Those who recognize the watershed event for what it is, and those who don't. Here on LDS.net, I know we have both types.

Which one are you, and why?

terrorism has been alive and kicking in the US a lot longer than ISIS has been around. It may or may not be. only time will tell.

Edited by Blackmarch

The Planned Parenthood thing, which killed 3, has impacted my family's lives. The building is a couple of miles from where I'm sitting right now. My wife and a buddy knew officer Swasey. The whole city slowed down on Friday for his funeral procession. 

If I had left home 5 minutes earlier, I would have ended up in a building close to the scene, wondering if I should risk running to my car and driving away before they closed the roads. We really identify with the families locked down at the King Soopers for 7 hours while it was happening. The doors that are always open, got closed and locked, and 100 people had to figure out how to spend all day at a grocery store. And figure out what they'd do if the shooting they could hear moved across the street to where they were. They didn't get access to their cars until the next day.

It's interesting to hear stories of the guy in the Sushi joint texting my friend - the restaurant had a good view of the PP, so the place was full of cops, and he had to sit in the kitchen with no access to news for half the day. 

Up until the last few weeks, talking to the kids about this stuff came with a comforting "this is all happening in other countries on the other side of the planet". Now we're tallying the impacts we've personally encountered, and finding ways to plan and prepare for future events. Because we refuse to live in fear, and as the scripture says, being prepared means we don't have to.

Actually, the first major watershed event was 9/11.  Certain elements in the government knew it was coming.  Look what has happened since.  Our rights and freedoms have taken a major hit and now the government is making a major push to disarm law abiding citizens.  The government is relying on the gullibility of the ignorant masses to go along with its program.  Let me quote something from a science fiction novel.

“The bigger the lie, apparently, the more likely the uninformed were to accept it, simply because they couldn't believe any government would tell such an absurd story unless it were true.”
David Weber, On Basilisk Station

Now they are coming for the only thing that will keep us free.