Favorite Book of Mormon verses?

Guest MormonGator

I agree with Connie.  I have many favorites.  One that always comes to mind though is Enos:  "And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker"…

I have felt that hunger in my own soul, where I also needed to know if the Gospel and scriptures were true.  I have also kneeled down in prayer to receive an answer to that question just as Enos did.  This scripture has always struck a chord with me.  Just as Enos received an answer, so have I. 

Not a verse, but whole sections or even books.

I am currently studying Mosiah 2~5 and Job.

Benjamin was one of the most powerful prophet ever recorded, but we have very little of his words/works.

I have the book King Benjamin's Speech and I'm hoping to make it a year-long perusal. Lottsa good stuff in there: over 1,000 pages on four chapters.

Job is a poem about good v. evil, and how hard times should not affect or faith and testimonies. I'm working on a personal commentary of Job, I hope it will take a hundred pages.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Guest MormonGator

Not a verse, but whole sectoins or even books.

I am currently studying Mosiah 2~5 and Job.

Benjamin was one of the most powerful prophet ever recorded, but we have very little of his words/works.

I have the book King Benjamin's Speech and I'm hoping to make it a year-long perusal. Lottsa good stuff in there: over 1,000 pages on four chapters.

Job is a poem about good v. evil, and how hard times should not affect or faith and testimonies. I'm working on a personal commentary of Job, I hope it will take a hundred pages.

Lehi

I agree 100% with all of that .

I also like a lot of the verses dealing with liberty. 

We read in Helaman 2, the last couple of verses, that one of the reasons for the Book of Mormon is to warn us of secret combinations.

13 And behold, in the end of this book ye shall see that this Gadianton did prove the overthrow, yea, almost the entire destruction of the people of Nephi.

14 Behold I do not mean the end of the book of Helaman, but I mean the end of the book of Nephi, from which I have taken all the account which I have written.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

King Benjiman's address is my favorite. 

A new favorite as of late is Alma 33: 8-9 

Yea, thou art merciful unto thy children when they cry unto thee, to be heard of thee and not of men, and thouwilt hear them.

Yea, O God, thou hast been merciful unto me, and heard my cries in the midst of thy congregations.

Guest MormonGator

King Benjiman's address is my favorite. 

A new favorite as of late is Alma 33: 8-9 

I just re-read that. Only because you brought it up. I'd like to say it was my own genius and inspiration that brought me to it but no, it wasn't even marked in my Book of Mormon. 

That's the best thing about this forum-we converts can learn so much! 

One of my favorites in this category.

5 And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just—yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God.

Lehi

My daughter was complaining about seminary being pretty boring.  It's not for the normal teenager's reason that they just don't get much out of the scriptures.  It was because the teacher didn't really inspire.  Example:

Instructor:  Moses1:39 -- So, what does this say to you?

Daugher:  It says that God's work and glory is to bring to pass our immortality and eternal life. (duh).

Instructor: Good.

Daughter: Eye-roll.

So as she related this to me I joked back.

So, when Nephi says "My father dwelt in a tent"  What does this mean to you?

She kicked me.

I just re-read that. Only because you brought it up. I'd like to say it was my own genius and inspiration that brought me to it but no, it wasn't even marked in my Book of Mormon. 

That's the best thing about this forum-we converts can learn so much! 

It's never especially stood out to me, either, til a member of the bishopric taught my YW class a couple Sundays ago and pointed it out. Maybe it's because it's relevant right now, but it did hit me. 

Nephi 15:8   And I said unto them:  Have ye inquired of the Lord?

It's a small verse but to me has a lot of power to it.

How often do we see people posting in forums and on social media trying to find answers?

When really, "Have ye inquired of the Lord?"

Nephi 15:8   And I said unto them:  Have ye inquired of the Lord?

It's a small verse but to me has a lot of power to it.

How often do we see people posting in forums and on social media trying to find answers?

When really, "Have ye inquired of the Lord?"

And what is amazing to me is how people/members are offended by that question, when it is an appropriate question.