Moderate Alcohol Consumption Benefits, Myth?

Maureen

Guest Godless
31 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

During World War 2, the US government gave some of its soldiers Benzedrine--basically, an amphetimine.  Our soldiers accomplished some great things with the help of these "uppers", including a spectacularly successful nighttime liberating raid on the Cabanatuan prison camp in the Philippines--but we'd never use the stuff today; because we take a more holistic view of our soldiers' health.

Off topic, but I feel compelled to note, as someone who has served in a war zone multiple times, that this is absolutely false.

13 hours ago, Godless said:

Off topic, but I feel compelled to note, as someone who has served in a war zone multiple times, that this is absolutely false.

Hmm.  My impression was that they banned it after Desert Storm because there were some friendly fire incidents attributed to it.

But, let's turn that about, then.  If amphetamines are such a performance enhancer that the military has used/does use them; then shouldn't everybody be free to use them "in moderation"--just like alcohol?

13 hours ago, Godless said:

Hmm.  My impression was that they banned it after Desert Storm because there were some friendly fire incidents attributed to it.

But, let's turn that about, then.  If amphetamines are such a performance enhancer that the military has used/does use them; then shouldn't everybody be free to use them "in moderation"--just like alcohol?

Guest Godless
10 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Based on the reasoning you provided: no.

To elaborate, amphetamine use in todays wars was very limited and highly monitored. Not exactly free, uninhibited use. My post was also spurred by the fact that FDA approval often seems to be optional when administering vaccines to service members. I received at least 2 anthrax shots before the vaccine was approved.

• 2 weeks later...

A medical doctor considers prescribing a medication to treat a condition, but also looks at the potential side effects.  If the side effects are worse than the disease, he doesn't prescribe it.

Bottom line -- coffee, wine, etc may have positive effects, but the Lord warns us that the side effects are worse, including serious damage to our spirituality.

Edited by cdowis

17 minutes ago, cdowis said:

A medical doctor considers prescribing a medication to treat a condition, but also looks at the potential side effects which rep is hottest and which company gives the best freebies.

Fixed it for you.

When I worked in a medical office, it used to drive the drug companies crazy that all our MDs were female, so sending in female reps that looked like they were hired from a modeling agency, showing as much leg and cleavage as they could possibly get away with in "professional" clothes didn't have any effect.

This just in:

No, Moderate Alcohol Consumption Won't Help You Live Longer

Apparently, a lot of the studies that compared drinkers to teetotalers didn't compensate for the fact that a substantial number of teetotalers had to abstain because their health was already shot.