Grinding worthiness?

leelee

so as a teenager growing up, I have never really committed any major sins. So as I was filling out my mission papers, I thought I was completely okay and correct in saying that was worthy. I just submitted my mission papers last week, and I am currently waiting on my mission call. But this week I was just reminded of an incident that had not even occurred to me that it might consider me unworthy to serve a mission until recently. I had participated in grinding twice at dance parties in October, 6 months ago. (It didn't progress any further than that. No kissing or petting happened, either.) I repented for these things by myself and felt at peace, but I have just recently been having the thought that I need to talk to my bishop about it. Is this a major sin that I should consider talking to my bishop about? And if so, how would this affect when I serve my mission? Will I have to wait longer than I had planned? 

Generally speaking when someone comes and ask "Should I talk to my bishop about this?"   The correct response is "That would be a good question to ask your bishop about."

There is a simple reason for this...  Your bishop can speak authoritatively we can not.

If you want this to continue to nag you throughout you mission and cause you to doubt...  Then do nothing.  If however you want to get it behind you then you need to bring it up ande get it dealt with before you go.

48 minutes ago, leelee said:

I have just recently been having the thought that I need to talk to my bishop about it

IMO, Satan isn't going to prompt you to go see your bishop, but the Holy Ghost might.  Perhaps you will benefit from the visit in ways other than repenting for this specific sin.  Learning to be humble enough to confess such things is a good lesson to learn.  Learning that a bishop has certain keys, and the love which comes with those keys, is an extremely valuable lesson. Not worrying about something you maybe didn't need to worry about in the first place, is both a good lesson and a blessing.  I'd say go talk to your bishop.

PS: Apparently I'm old and out of it, cuz I see "grinding", and this is the image that comes to mind: B103-GrindingWheel-ed-800px.jpg

Edited by zil

Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it. And yeah, you are right that anything that worries me should be spoken to my bishop about. So I will. Thank you for pointing out the other aspects of it, too. But is this sin serious enough to postpone my mission?

16 minutes ago, leelee said:

Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it. And yeah, you are right that anything that worries me should be spoken to my bishop about. So I will. Thank you for pointing out the other aspects of it, too. But is this sin serious enough to postpone my mission?

We can't evaluate that...  We don't have stewardship to have the spirit guide us in what you need and we really don't know you.

Guest MormonGator
18 hours ago, estradling75 said:

Generally speaking when someone comes and ask "Should I talk to my bishop about this?"   The correct response is "That would be a good question to ask your bishop about."

For sure, totally agree with Estradling. Don't worry about the bishop my friend. He's there to help you, not make you feel bad for the sake of feeling bad. 

And he's heard everything before so you won't shock him! 

10 minutes ago, zil said:

Whatever that means.

In Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games like EverQuest or World of Warcraft, your character gains levels by accumulating experience points.  The act of just going out and killing monsters just to get the experience so you can level is referred to as 'grinding.'

Guest MormonGator
48 minutes ago, unixknight said:

Don't feel bad.  I immediately thought of 'grinding' as in 'grinding for XP' in an MMO...

I did too, and that pic made me think of a classic metal album, "Metal on Metal" by Anvil. 

35 minutes ago, unixknight said:

In Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games like EverQuest or World of Warcraft, your character gains levels by accumulating experience points.  The act of just going out and killing monsters just to get the experience so you can level is referred to as 'grinding.'

Aaaah, got it.  (The only MMO I know is the Maintenance & Metrology Operations department.) :)