High Teacher Salaries in Dallas

2 hours ago, tesuji said:

Why do we Mormons hate education? Our scriptures teach us that learning is one of the most important things.

Utah is dead last in spending per pupil. So more money is definitely needed. Class sizes in Utah are ridiculous. The states that spend the least per student:

1. Utah ($6,555)
2. Idaho ($6,791)
3. Arizona ($7,208)

Compare this to the states that spend the most:

1. New York ($19,818 per student)
2. Alaska ($18,175)
3. District of Columbia ($17,953)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2015/06/02/the-states-that-spend-the-most-and-the-least-on-education-in-one-map/

If you think the amount of money spent per student directly correlates with the quality of education or the condition of schools, I invite you to come up and see the schools in D.C. firsthand. 

34 minutes ago, unixknight said:

If you think the amount of money spent per student directly correlates with the quality of education or the condition of schools, I invite you to come up and see the schools in D.C. firsthand. 

This is true. D.C. is infamous for its education.

The thing is, no one in a general sense is going to do the things necessary to attract and keep teachers. Now, we might argue over what we think teachers deserve, or even tell teachers to suck it and not whine (there are so many faucets to the teacher martyr situation). We can't force people to become teachers with salaries and scenarios they don't necessarily want.

I think it's going to be a natural course that things will go the way of the free market.

20 hours ago, Eowyn said:

I don't know about chastise. I made a point and I stand by it. Even if you did the whole of a teacher's job for 6 months, that doesn't make you an expert in all things education. No one could work 6 months at any job and claim to know a lot about it. Many internships are longer. 

My point here, though, is that if you're going to do a thing, you kind of nix your right to legitimately complain about other people doing that thing. 

I thought I had remarked on this.

In many ways I agree with LeSellers. But I also agree with Eowyn on this.

LeSellers may in fact have the right personality and talent to be a teacher, but really, floating around a school for 6 months on other people's lesson plans with no true long-term commitment to a class does not make one an expert on being a school teacher.

25 minutes ago, Backroads said:

LeSellers may in fact have the right personality and talent to be a teacher, but really, floating around a school for 6 months on other people's lesson plans with no true long-term commitment to a class does not make one an expert on being a school teacher.

You're implying things that are not accurate.

Lehi

8 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

You're implying things that are not accurate.

Lehi

Okay. Are you a long-term expert on public/private school teaching or not?

You say that teaching is easy, and yeah, I don't find it to be a terribly grueling profession, but you've implied that you are a master at it when you've only done it for a short time.

Edited by Backroads

@Backroads I moved to TX a few years back before the housing market jumped up to be more in line with Utah's so it was more bang for our buck. Although I do like it here, my heart will always belong to Utah. When I show my co-workers photos and talk about Utah, most are in awe that I would ever leave such a place. The same to those that visit there. You would think I was talking about Hawaii with some of their comments. 

It's funny that now, my vacation destination is Utah... now that I am living outside of the State. 

On 6/10/2016 at 0:48 PM, Backroads said:

Okay. Are you a long-term expert on public/private school teaching or not?

You say that teaching is easy, and yeah, I don't find it to be a terribly grueling profession, but you've implied that you are a master at it when you've only done it for a short time.

I'm not sure what a "long-tern expert" is. I taught for two years, so I have personal experience to gauge by. In addition, though, I have studied grtf-welfare schools (their teachers, administrators, and the system as a whole) for decades. One of the resources I use is John Taylor Gatto's epic The Underground History of American Education. Gatto was thrice the NYC Teacher of the Year, and once the State Laureate. He hates grtf-welfare schools more than I (not much more — that wouldn't be possible). A second source is Mary Peabody Mann's Horace Mann, a Life, wherein the widow of the self-proclaimed "Father of American Education" discloses that Mr. Mann hated Christianity and used Phrenology as the reasons for importing Prussian schools to USA.

Teaching itself isn't "easy" if, by the term, you think I mean that it is effortless. I mean that becoming a teacher is easy, and that showing up to work every day and not falling asleep is all it takes to meet the minimum requirement the government sets. Most teachers do more (but there are stories of hundreds who barely scrape by at that level — NYC's "rubber rooms" attest to this, as well as accounts in the news almost daily), and most try to really help students learn. The real problem is what they are forced to teach, and how they must do so. That's government's fault. We must never forget that grtf-welfare schools, as we know them, were established by the Emperor Friedrich to reduce parental influence on the children of Prussia. (He blamed his loss to Napoleon at the battle of Jenna on the "fact" that his soldiers didn't follow commands without question. His schools were designed to make the students into, essentially, automatons.)

So, no, I don't credit my experience in the classroom for my mastery of the subject. But I do consider myself to be at least as knowledgeable as anyone about the issues.

Lehi

On 6/9/2016 at 4:09 PM, tesuji said:

Raw, laissez faire Capitalism is not the gospel. It can be modified or improved. I believe we have the intelligence, and the obligation as disciples of Christ, to do that, in fact.

I'd question your definition first.  And then possibly your position.

Ideal capitalism is that government has two proper roles:  1) Ensure there is no coercion or fraud involved  & 2) Enforce contracts both express and implied.  The problem is understanding and agreeing on what the "implied" contracts are between buyer and seller, employer and employee.  Apart from that what proper role do you see that is "the obligation of a disciple of Christ"?

Edited by Guest

On June 8, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Carborendum said:

STARTING teacher salaries are up in Dallas.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/headlines/20150627-starting-teacher-pay-reaches-50000-in-many-north-texas-districts.ece

BTW, this is about what a starting engineer would make right out of school.

Whats the cost of living there?

It's probably lower than Utah.  But it may not compare to the cost of living on the edge of the Milky Way;).

Here is a cost comparison between Provo, UT and Houston, TX

http://swz.salary.com/CostOfLivingWizard/Layoutscripts/Coll_Result.aspx

It basically says that you have a cost of living increase of 2.3% and a probable salary increase of 11.1%.

If you hang with me, I can tell you how to eliminate that 2.3%.  And, of course, you'd know the salary increase before you move.