Why Do People Come Here

checkerboy

Just curious why certain people come here.

I am not trying to be rude or offensive but I am curious why people of other faiths or of no particular faith would come to an LDS website. It is interesting to hear your points of view and I have no problem discussing things with you all. I guess I wonder because for myself, I wouldn't go to another faiths website and become an active participant. Although I have gone to other faiths services and wouldn't mind going again if I had the opportunity. Again I am not trying to offend I am just really curious. If you aren't LDS what made you want to come here and join us?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a member of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (now called Community of Christ). I have some issues of interest in common with LDS members. I also have atleast some beliefs in common with them inspite of significant differences.

<div class='quotemain'>I come here so I can say..."That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it."

And here I thought I was the only one you said that to! :P

Elphaba

Actually that WAS meant for you. I wanted to see if you would catch it. :lol:

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>I come here so I can say..."That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it."

Elphaba

Actually that WAS meant for you. I wanted to see if you would catch it. :lol:I'm so relived. I thought you'd abandoned me. :cry:

hehehehe

I'm here because I love Mormon history and will talk to anyone I can <strike>force</strike> interest into discussing it as well.

I'm also very political and never back down from a good discussion of the issues.

I am disabled and rarely am able to go outside and socialize, so I spend a lot of time online. I have been to many boards and NONE of them are as compelling, interesting, thought-provoking, or as weird as this one. I love it!

I have made some very dear friends from all over the globe! One day I'll talk to Pushka for hours, and she's in England. Then I'll talk to my Susie Patootie who's in Malaysia, on her way to SouthAfrica! That blows my mind!

I think I was brought here to keep Fiannan in line, as he has the most bizarro ideas about women I have ever seen. :P J/K Fian.

Finally, I have to get my daily dose of: "That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!" :wub:

Elphaba

I am a member of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (now called Community of Christ). I have some issues of interest in common with LDS members. I also have atleast some beliefs in common with them inspite of significant differences.

Dale you have been a member here forever and I didn't know that about you. Would you mind updating your profile in the area of religion?

I come as a way to relax as well. I have a few friends here and I like able to chat in my jammies.... haha

I think we've all come here looking for friends and of course for the thought provoking coversations that go on in the chat room!

I have been very pleasantly surprised by the great threads out here in the forums and how much fun it is to read and respond to them. (was that a huge run on sentence?)

And just think, if I hadn't joined checkerboy I'd never have met you! My fellow lover of all things ska! :P

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Elphaba

Actually that WAS meant for you. I wanted to see if you would catch it. :lol:I'm so relived. I thought you'd abandoned me. :cry:

hehehehe

I'm here because I love Mormon history and will talk to anyone I can <strike>force</strike> interest into discussing it as well.

I'm also very political and never back down from a good discussion of the issues.

I am disabled and rarely am able to go outside and socialize, so I spend a lot of time online. I have been to many boards and NONE of them are as compelling, interesting, thought-provoking, or as weird as this one. I love it!

I have made some very dear friends from all over the globe! One day I'll talk to Pushka for hours, and she's in England. Then I'll talk to my Susie Patootie who's in Malaysia, on her way to SouthAfrica! That blows my mind!

I think I was brought here to keep Fiannan in line, as he has the most bizarro ideas about women I have ever seen. :P J/K Fian.

Finally, I have to get my daily dose of: "That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!" :wub:

Elphaba

Awww...what a lovely post Elphie!!

I love the way that you singled out particular posters and spoke to them... :wub:

I feel as if I've moved in to the site a little more recently, actually found friends here who I feel comfortable with off the site as well as on it...Elphie, Yediyd, Iggy and Dove are the group responsible for giving me that extra feeling of 'belonging', thank you all.

A big thank you to everyone else on here too, for giving me such interesting stuff to read, and for giving me great advice when I've been feeling a little reclusive and depressed.

I too, find that this is the one site that I cannot go for long without visiting...I'm on here at every opportunity throughout the day and night...yes, I'm addicted!! :D

Hogwash. You are most welcome here sgallan. How's your daughter?

Reni is doing great. Starting 9th grade math and 8th grade English. I am going to start her up with Spanish here pretty quick. She's extremely active as usual.

She recently placed 5th in Greco-Roman, and 3rd in freestyle, in the largest youth wrestling tournament in the country. I challenged her. Because she placed fifth meant I had to wrestle in a beach tournament (do you know where I could get some lungs?). That she placed third means that I have to wrestle three tournaments next year. So I am slowly working into a shape other than round. Kinda funny that the boy who knocked her out of the championship match in freestyle is also the closest thing Reni has had to a boyfriend (in an 11 year old way).

Otherwise... still homeschooled but in the band at the local Middle School where she just got elected the first ever 6th grader band President. She was pretty excited about that.

<div class='quotemain'>

Dale you have been a member here forever and I didn't know that about you. Would you mind updating your profile in the area of religion?

I come as a way to relax as well. I have a few friends here and I like able to chat in my jammies.... haha

I updated my religion information.