Recommend questions

Hi,

I have an interview Sunday for a limited use recommend to go do baptisms which  I'm mega excited about.   Im really confused about one of the questions where it says if you affiliate with people who have beliefs country to the Church.  what does that mean? My sister in law is same sex attracted so her beliefs go against the Church and I affiliate with her obviously?? Or does it mean like people who hate the Church.  Im so confused ? 

22 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

Hi,

I have an interview Sunday for a limited use recommend to go do baptisms which  I'm mega excited about.   Im really confused about one of the questions where it says if you affiliate with people who have beliefs country to the Church.  what does that mean? My sister in law is same sex attracted so her beliefs go against the Church and I affiliate with her obviously?? Or does it mean like people who hate the Church.  Im so confused ? 

I believe that part of the problem is that few understand why we have an interview for spiritual things like temple recommends or baptisms.  The purpose of an interview - my belief - is two fold - the first is to make an accounting of our efforts to be worthy to take and renew covenants.  Since few understand what this in tells our prophets have been instructed to ask specific question that are directly related to our generation.  I do not believe these questions are intended to be a test of worthiness as much as a means to assist us in making an accounting of our preparations - for covenants we are about to take or renew.  Again this is not an accounting of pass or fail but to help us in understanding our covenant and obligations in the worship of our G-d.

The second is to give us opportunity to inquire of a servant of G-d - concerning things of which we have particular question concerning our covenants or preparations.  So my response to the above question is intended as advise and not necessarily criticism - It is the temple recommend interview where we should properly make known our questions of worthiness and preparations - not the internet.

The Traveler

39 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

Hi,

IMO, the meaning and intent of the question is a good conversation to have during the interview (in my experience, these turn into really good conversations).  I suspect you're just fine and have nothing to worry about - but definitely have the conversation.

Thank you for your reply.. I understand completely what you mean but I think as a new convert sometimes it's useful to ask questions, interviews like this are pretty unique to lds for me and Ive been a church attending Christian all my life and also it's sometimes difficult to ask questions when you don't actually know the Bishopric that well.

I take the interview very seriously, my intention was not to look upon it as a pass or fail but rather to seek clarification on some confusion to see if perhaps I should talk to someone in the flesh regarding certain aspects of the question.

I am sorry if this question is inappropriate I would be more than happy to.take it down?

8 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

Thank you for your reply.. I understand completely what you mean but I think as a new convert sometimes it's useful to ask questions, interviews like this are pretty unique to lds for me and Ive been a church attending Christian all my life and also it's sometimes difficult to ask questions when you don't actually know the Bishopric that well.

I take the interview very seriously, my intention was not to look upon it as a pass or fail but rather to seek clarification on some confusion to see if perhaps I should talk to someone in the flesh regarding certain aspects of the question.

I am sorry if this question is inappropriate I would be more than happy to.take it down?

I believe what you learn in such interviews will help you in your preparations for making an accounting before G-d at what we call the "final judgment".  Again - I am making reference to my very personal beliefs - that all things that we exercise in our divine worship (including interviews) are given as divine gifts to assist us in our preparations for how we will live in eternity - with or without G-d.  That is not to say other things cannot help on the path but that all other things should never replace what G-d provides.  May I personally welcome you to the divine way or path established before this world was and to as part of that path the worship of G-d at his Holy Temple and that as you walk in faith this holy path in his temple - you will be blessed and spiritually rewarded for your preparations and efforts both for you and your family.

The Traveler

29 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

I don't think it was inappropriate at all. Mormonism is about thinking and asking questions, as well as having faith and trusting in God.

As I understand it, the interview question is do you support groups that are against the teachings of the church. Something like that - please listen carefully to the actual question in the interview, and ask your bishop if you have questions. But I've always taken that question to mean active, heartfelt support for these groups. I don't think it's talking about loving or supporting your sister in this case.

The church makes a distinction between having same-sex attractions, and acting on those attractions (which is a sin). You are allowed to feel however you feel, but you should obey the commandments of God.

Edited by tesuji

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, tesuji said:

I don't think it was inappropriate at all. Mormonism is about thinking and asking questions, as well as having faith and trust in God.

Exactly. The case could easily be made that if Joseph himself didn't ask questions, we wouldn't be here.  

25 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

Your question is not inappropriate in the least, and you should have zero regrets in asking your question.

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Your question is not inappropriate in the least, and you should have zero regrets in asking your question.

Exactly. And if you ever meet someone ho says "Don't ask that question!" Run from them. It probably means they have something to hide. 

47 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

If your question needed to be taken down...  I would have taken it down instead of answering...

There being a better place to ask a question does not always mean it can't be asked elsewhere

Edited by estradling75

1 hour ago, An Investigator said:

Hi,

I do echo Zil's comment.  

As a more direct answer: This usually means if you're part of an anti-Mormon group or an offshoot group.  This isn't targeted at your relationships with your friends and family.

However, if you believe such association is detracting from your relationship with the Lord and your desire to keep the commandments or is destroying your testimony, you may want to do some introspection and a lot of prayer as you discuss things with your bishop.

Here's the official word from the church about same-sex attraction:

https://www.lds.org/topics/same-gender-attraction?lang=eng

Here it is, in a nutshell:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints acknowledges that same-sex attraction is a sensitive issue which requires kindness, compassion, and understanding. ...

The Church’s doctrinal position is clear: Sexual activity should only occur between a man and a woman who are married. However, that should never be used as justification for unkindness. Jesus Christ, whom we follow, was clear in His condemnation of sexual immorality, but never cruel. His interest was always to lift the individual, never to tear down.

In short, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints affirms the centrality of doctrines relating to human sexuality and gender as well as the sanctity and significance of marriage as the union of a man and a woman. However, the Church firmly believes that all people are equally beloved children of God and deserve to be treated with love and respect.

Edited by tesuji