Church issues statement on Pokemon Go app

pam

1 hour ago, Godless said:

My line of work has left me, as one of my employees delicately put it, "all muscle, no cardio", and a beer belly to boot. I've been meaning to start an exercise regimen of some sort for months, but could never find the motivation. Thanks to Pokemon Go, I've walked a little over 15 miles this week. I'm hoping to starting running at some point since that was another goal that I kept putting off. 

I'm usually on the bike, and when I just want to meander slowly, (eggs don't incubate over a certain speed) I shut down Strava and fire up Pokemon.

OTOH, bike commuting since April has me down 4 inches in the waist, my calves and quads are looking great, and I'm back to the good side of the moobs<->pecs continuum.

Edited by NightSG

Guest Godless
1 hour ago, NightSG said:

I'm usually on the bike, and when I just want to meander slowly, (eggs don't incubate over a certain speed) I shut down Strava and fire up Pokemon.

OTOH, bike commuting since April has me down 4 inches in the waist, my calves and quads are looking great, and I'm back to the good side of the moobs<->pecs continuum.

I used to bike everywhere, but I ended up selling my bike to help pay for my wedding. I'd love to get back into it, but I don't think I can justify the expense right now.

14 hours ago, Godless said:

I used to bike everywhere, but I ended up selling my bike to help pay for my wedding. I'd love to get back into it, but I don't think I can justify the expense right now.

Well, if you did your own maintenance, getting something from Craigslist or BikesDirect tuned up right is usually fairly easy.  Find yourself a tourer or a CX bike with good rack mounts and you can haul plenty of groceries.

16 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Are there grown men and women playing this game?

I thought it was for nerds who don't like girls.

Who said nerds can't be grown men? :D

I like the "location-based augmented reality" aspect, which is a novelty to me. We're going to see a lot more of this now - watch for it. This is a culture-changing thing.

I actually got bored with it after the novelty wore off. I do think it is something for kids, mostly. Now I use it to spend time with my kids and get them out of the house. They enjoy it.

One thing for sure, they never have an excuse to be bored any more (not entirely a good development, but sometimes it's nice to have another optional activity like this).

Edited by tesuji

My kids were interested... So my wife downloaded to her phone to see what it was all about... It passed her parental approval.

Of course my kids don't have phones that can play the game....  So now they have to work to earn the hardware that is needed...

And since we are picking the hardware for them...(and because I will not let them have a better phone then me) I upgraded my phone to the model in question to test it out.

When I got the phone we went to the park so the youngest could play on the swing.  While my wife what watching him, my 10 year old daughter and I wandered the park while I tested the phone out.  (My daughter played on my wife's phone).  I got to level 5 

Yesterday my wife and I played the game while shopping together at Costco.  While shopping we caught a good half dozen of the guys... That was just by ourselves.

Are we nerds.... most assuredly...  Do I like girls most assuredly...  Does my wife like guys...  most assuredly... 

Do we hate bigoted stereotypes rendered against us..  most assuredly...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36863920 (video included)

A US state department briefing was interrupted when the spokesman caught a reporter trying to catch Pokemon.

US State Department spokesman John Kirby was holding a press conference on efforts to combat so-called Islamic State when he stopped to ask: 'You are playing the Pokemon thing right there, aren't you?'

2 hours ago, estradling75 said:

Are we nerds.... most assuredly...  Do I like girls most assuredly...  Does my wife like guys...  most assuredly... 

Do we hate bigoted stereotypes rendered against us..  most assuredly...

#NerdSolidarity

It's OK. Not everyone understands nerds:

Nerd
noun
1. A person who finds the world unbearably banal and mundane, and therefore seeks inspiration in the realm of imagination.

5 hours ago, estradling75 said:

Of course my kids don't have phones that can play the game....  So now they have to work to earn the hardware that is needed...

If you can still snag the deal, FreedomPop had the Kyocera Hydro Icon with activation and a month of service for $40, then you can easily switch it to an unlimited data (1, 2 or 3GB/mo at full speed, then unlimited throttled) for $35-50/mo.  Throttled still works fine for Pokemon Go, as long as you don't have too much running in the background.  Bonus; it's waterproof to 1m, (IOW, splash resistant and would probably survive a dunk in the toilet) and replacement batteries are about $6 on Amazon.  (Good thing, too, high-drain apps killing the battery all the time will cripple one in a few months.)