Is polygamy necessary for exaltation?

24 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I appreciate that. I do try, that's for sure. 

To me it's vital to remember this: There is a person on the other end of that computer screen. If you are obnoxious, rude, unbending or simply refuse to see the other persons POV-that shows very, very poorly on you. And your parents, for raising someone like that. 

And that's how I see Carbon and everyone here sees me now. Carb brought out the worst in me. I wasn't that bad my first few days here.

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

And that's how I see Carbon and everyone here sees me now. Carb brought out the worst in me. I wasn't that bad my first few days here.

I never said you were my friend. I haven't read enough of your posts to form an opinion of you. I think you (not you in particular, this goes for every poster) need to post about 100-150 on various threads to get an idea about who you are. 

Edited by MormonGator

24 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

If you think I'm not holding to the iron rod then you're judging my faith on here and I don't know if that's allowed.

Don't flatter yourself. My post of the tree of life was not directed at anyone. It was a general comment. If it was for you I would have said @Zarahemla

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I'm not sure how to take that.

Definitely a compliment! You know I have nothing but love of you and frankly, if someone doesn't like you it shows poorly on THEM. Not you.  

Very kind of you to say. I know there's a Eowyn Hater's Club that likely exists in private messages, but that's their business. I don't have the need to be liked by everyone that I used to have; just to stand by my principles. 

Very kind of you to say. I know there's a Eowyn Hater's Club that likely exists in private messages, but that's their business. I don't have the need to be liked by everyone that I used to have; just to stand by my principles. 

40 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Why is it so slow when mormondialogue is so fast and respects differences in opinions more and mods don't all gang up on a poster.

They most certainly do not respect the opinions of other more...  try taking the Main Line Church position on any subject... and just see how fast they gang up on you.

LDS.net make no bones about being PRO LDS Church and PRO Official LDS Church positions.  That mean our audience base is smaller, because there are much more that want to believe whatever they want then actually follow the Lords appointed leaders.  With the smaller base it also means the natural ebb and flow of peoples lives is more pronounced in the forum.  It is always slower when summer hits and it picks up as the summer goes along (it is quite the display of hubris for you to claim it to be all about you)

40 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Apparently it's coming out that more and more people don't like me, not just 1. I'd dare say it's impossible to find one poster here that does like me or defend me. 

I don't know you enough to say whether I like you. But I daresay you are very welcome here if you follow the site rules. Feel free to ignore some people if you want.

Guest MormonGator
19 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

(it is quite the display of hubris for you to claim it to be all about you)

Exactly.

Especially because we all know that it's all about me. 

45 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Apparently it's coming out that more and more people don't like me, not just 1. I'd dare say it's impossible to find one poster here that does like me or defend me. 

I try to be impartial about whom is posting and come to the defense of anyone and everyone I feel the need to do so for on any given topic that seems to need defense and is defensible within gospel parameters. By the same token I have been known to call people out on occasion for posting falsehoods. Most of the time comments are in the middle ground asking for clarification or issuing support. But I'm likely one of the least frequent visitors who hasn't just drifted away never to return, so if I haven't come to your aid or called you out it's because I haven't had the time to get around to it. Also some topics have just been covered enough times by long-term members of the board that it just feels like beating a dead horse. Polygamy is one of those topics that always comes around and is a big deal to some people while others can never understand what the concern is, either you have a testimony or you don't - for some people it's black and white, for others it's nuanced, and still others just don't like it and don't even want to understand it - they'd rather attack it. 

Anyway if I come across a post from you that I feel is in need of defense and doctrinally defensible - count me in. Otherwise don't expect too much.

My whole argument with Carb right now is that he doesn't believe that women can get proxy sealed to multiple men in the temple after they die. I'm trying to convince him it happens, but he refuses to believe and thinks it's false. Does anyone have information or a stance on that subject?

1 hour ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

@nothing You are new to the board. Just an FYI if you are out of step with the current narrative of the church you will gain no traction here.  No one here wants to hear about anything that may be out of line with what the Brethren say. 

Unfair. Just because people believe in following a true prophet doesn't mean they are close minded. Mormonism is about asking questions and embracing all truth, wherever it's found.

1 hour ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

@nothing You are new to the board. Just an FYI if you are out of step with the current narrative of the church you will gain no traction here.  No one here wants to hear about anything that may be out of line with what the Brethren say. 

Unfair. Just because people believe in following a true prophet doesn't mean they are close minded. Mormonism is about asking questions and embracing all truth, wherever it's found.

5 minutes ago, tesuji said:

Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, Joseph F Smith, Heber J Grant, Joseph Fielding Smith, Harold B Lee, and Howard W Hunter are all true prophets too. The next prophet in line is either Russell M Nelson or Dallin H Oaks and both of them are sealed to 2 women. So the next 2 prophets could believe in plural marriage as they will have been entered into it.

Edited by Zarahemla

1 hour ago, Zarahemla said:

It depends entirely on what you mean by "like you?"

Do you mean someone that agree with everything you say?   If that is your definition then I think you are right about there not being a lot.

If however by "like you" mean... they are listening to you, trying to answer your questions and otherwise choosing to spend their limited time interacting with you... Well then you are more liked then you think.

You get to choose what definition you would like to use (or define your own)  But I highly recommend some variation on the second one.

3 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, Joseph F Smith, Heber J Grant, Joseph Fielding Smith, Harold B Lee, and Howard W Hunter are all true prophets too.

Certainly. You probably already know that we study the teachings of these prophets in Sunday School every year, and the current leaders quote from them all the time in general conference.

However, if there's a question, then the current prophet and apostles are obviously the ones currently leading the church, by current revelation.

9 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff, Joseph F Smith, Heber J Grant, Joseph Fielding Smith, Harold B Lee, and Howard W Hunter are all true prophets too. The next prophet in line is either Russell M Nelson or Dallin H Oaks and both of them are sealed to 2 women. So the next 2 prophets could believe in plural marriage as they will have been entered into it.

So?  What are you trying to say?  A lot of widowers are sealed to more than one wife. It's not a problem.

Edited by classylady

7 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

My whole argument with Carb right now is that he doesn't believe that women can get proxy sealed to multiple men in the temple after they die. I'm trying to convince him it happens, but he refuses to believe and thinks it's false. Does anyone have information or a stance on that subject?

6 hours ago, Carborendum said:

It doesn't happen because it's not a valid sealing.  We make mistakes in temple ordinances all the time.  Such ordinances, even if performed, are not valid.  If it's not valid, it isn't a sealing. That is what I meant when I said they are not sealed to multiple men.

From what I understand of the discussion, Carb accepts that the proxy ordinances are properly performed between a woman and all her husbands, but does not consider them to be sealings because according to his understanding, only one will be valid in the end. That is, she is only going to be sealed eternally to one husband, however many the proxy work is performed for.