College paper help

Empress

Guest MormonGator

Mormonism is a profoundly American religion. It was created in America. It's founder is American. Virtually all it's presidents and high up apostles have been natural born American (Yes, John Taylor being the exception, there are others but my point still stands).  While there are some LDS immigrants it's a very, very small part of the population. Are you looking for early LDS people who converted? 

Edited by MormonGator

If you're looking for information about Mormons who migrated to America in the 1800s or early 1900s, I'd think an actual college library would be a good source for information (like that link to the BYU library Larry just posted ;) ).  IMO, for older information, actual physical books in a physical library (or the online version thereof, if the topic has been digitized) is often the easier way.

55 minutes ago, Empress said:

Hi,

I am trying to write a paper about the Mormon immigration to the united states, its causes, and effects on our country. I am having a hard time findin sources. does anyone have so Ideas or websites that might point me in the right direction?

Web sites are a poor place to go. The Mormon immigration was a historically recent phenomenon, less than 200 years old. There is a ton of source material and original research to choose from. Use web sites to scan and get a general idea of what went on, but don't waste your time there when you delve into the meat of your research. Any college library in the entire nation will have plenty of information on 19th-century Mormon immigration.

The OP is not asking about MIgration.  She's asking about IMMIgration.  Specifically, those who came from abroad to the United States who were Mormons.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Empress said:

There don't seem to be any University's near enough to utilize. I have been finding a few websites linked to museums and other sources like that that seem reliable. thanks

Good luck and chin up! College papers are a pain sometimes but you'll get through it just fine. We all did. 

On 11/14/2016 at 0:40 PM, Empress said:

hmmm, I didn't find any in my search (community college). My draft is due soon. I'm getting worried

Did you ask your librarian to help you search? As an undergrad, your search skills are probably less than stellar. The librarian - the professional librarian, not a student staffer - can help you. I hate to sound like the professor I was, but next time, don't wait so long to start researching, so that if you run into a problem, you have time to deal with it. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but if you continue on this path, you will not do well in school. There's no way to sugarcoat this.

I am not against using the web to get an overview, but then you should use the source materials cited on the web page (if there are no source documents, move on) to begin your research.

Crisis averted.  Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

@Empress is my wife.  Our daughter was the one with the assignment.  It turns out there were quite a few sources out there.  She just didn't realize that the things she had already found were legitimate sources.  It's her first college paper.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

She just didn't realize that the things she had already found were legitimate sources.  It's her first college paper.

That... alarms me. 

I've got a master's degree, and so pumped out a lot of written assignments and reports. As part of it, we were put through the wringer when it came to what was and wasn't legitimate. 

Did your daughter receive any sort of education in this regards? 

1 hour ago, Ironhold said:

That... alarms me. 

I've got a master's degree, and so pumped out a lot of written assignments and reports. As part of it, we were put through the wringer when it came to what was and wasn't legitimate. 

Did your daughter receive any sort of education in this regards? 

Nope.

6 hours ago, Ironhold said:

What help does she still need to figure these things out, then? 

And what decibel rating can the average faculty member on her campus tolerate before they go deaf from people screaming at them? 

She doesn't need help anymore.  I said "crisis averted".  

The thing was that bloggers and similar level sources are not considered valid.  That was all she had.  But I pointed out two things to her.

1) Many of the blogs she looked up had footnotes to authoritative sources.  
2) She could use the quotes and statements as search terms for additional sources that WERE considered valid.

Once she realized that, everything else fell into place.

20 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Find anything interesting?

1) By the time we went to Utah, there were more saints from Europe than the United States.
2) Immigrants came on their own dime for about a decade before the first ship of those paid by the PEF.
3) They were fleeing persecution in Europe only to find some of the same persecution here.
4) Charles Dickens once came to the docks determined to bear testimony against those darned Mormons, only to find that we were the most orderly, well-mannered, highly educated, God-fearing people he'd ever seen.
5) One of the benefits of being a Mormon immigrant vs any other immigrant was that we had a support structure and guides that helped avoid all the shysters looking to prey on the new load of immigrants.

Lots of cool stuff.

Edited by Guest

I thought it might be more along the lines of 

The increase in population in the mountain west teetered the continent - causing a 1.2 cm decline in sea level on the Atlantic coast (and a corresponding rise in the Pacific). As a result the tide on West Europe's coasts had a greater variance between low and high tides, and ships travelling East on the Atlantic initially traveled faster until they arrived near the turbulent coasts.