Arrival

Vort

Not sure where the movie thread is, but I didn't want to keep anatess waiting any longer. Just got back from my birthday present of seeing Arrival. Not a perfect movie by any means, and a few of the flaws are pretty deep. Contrary to popular opinion, it was neither much of a science fiction extravaganza nor a study in linguistics; in fact, linguistics per se were barely mentioned, and then only cursorily.

But overall, and despite its flaws, I REALLY enjoyed it, maybe even more than I expected to. The truly engaging part (for me) was the emotional struggle of the principal(s) (mostly the heroine). The twist ending, while not in the same league as The Sixth Sense, was two dozen steps down that same path, and greatly added to my enjoyment.

Definitely a thumbs-up. Maybe I'll return here and give a more thorough review after I process the movie for a few days or weeks.

11 hours ago, Vort said:

Not sure where the movie thread is, but I didn't want to keep anatess waiting any longer. Just got back from my birthday present of seeing Arrival. Not a perfect movie by any means, and a few of the flaws are pretty deep. Contrary to popular opinion, it was neither much of a science fiction extravaganza nor a study in linguistics; in fact, linguistics per se were barely mentioned, and then only cursorily.

But overall, and despite its flaws, I REALLY enjoyed it, maybe even more than I expected to. The truly engaging part (for me) was the emotional struggle of the principal(s) (mostly the heroine). The twist ending, while not in the same league as The Sixth Sense, was two dozen steps down that same path, and greatly added to my enjoyment.

Definitely a thumbs-up. Maybe I'll return here and give a more thorough review after I process the movie for a few days or weeks.

I read the source story eons ago and loved it. Still haven't seen the movie.

WOOT WOOT WOOT!  I just had this feeling that you'd love it.  It just seems so "Vorty" to me!

But yeah, now I can tell you what I liked and didn't like about it without worrying about spoiling it for you.  YES YES YES about the ending.  I was starting to suspect it around 3/4 of the movie but couldn't quite reconcile it until the very end.  What I didn't like - and never really got a resolution - is why her husband left them.  I don't like husbands leaving wives and more so fathers leaving daughters and even more so fathers leaving dying daughters.  The guy didn't seem like a wimp in the movie that couldn't handle illness...

2 hours ago, bytebear said:

I thought the message was "If you could change your past, to avoid future pain, would you?"  It just did it in a very roundabout way, using alien communication as a way to move the story.   That's the best explanation I can give without spoilers.

I'm thinking not necessarily change the past but more like.... If you know there's pain in the future would you still choose to love?