The Book of Mormon and modern day problems

The Book of Mormon was written and compiled by prophets who saw our day and it has been written for our day. This being the case, I would hope, or think, that it has something to say about the great problems of our day. What I’ve done here is to compile my list of what I think are the ten greatest problems of our day, and then searched for scriptures from the Book of Mormon that might relate to these problems, either as a description of the problem or a possible solution to it. I hope you might feel inclined to add your own list of modern day problems, coupled with scriptural references from the Book of Mormon that either describe or address those problems, or alternatively, add to/correct/amend this list

Nuclear catastrophe  - Mormon 6 and Ether 15

Global warming and climate change – Helaman 11, 3 Nephi 8, Ether 9:30 - 35

Failing governments and loss of faith in government – Alma 51, 60, 3 Nephi 7, Helaman 1, 4, 6 , Ether 8 - 11

Communism - Nothing

War – Mostly in Alma 43 - 62

Religious extremism – Alma 1, 14, 35

Declining faith in God – Alma 5, Moroni 7, 4th Nephi

Greed, pride and selfishness – Jacob 2, Mosiah 2, 4, 3rd Nephi 12 – 14, Moroni 10

Growing inequality Alma 32, Jacob 2, Alma 1

Globalisation, corporatisation, and the commoditisation of everything - Nothing

Of course, this is all based on the assumption that, having seen our day, and its problems, the compilers and authors of the books of Mormon would say something specifically to address these problems. Its equally reasonable to assume that the authors and compilers worked on a different assumption, eg, that building faith in Christ was the best way to deal with any and every kind of problem that we in the latter days would face. This is something that the Book of Mormon does extremely well.

Just a quick glance of your post and I noticed nuclear catastrophe/war. Isaiah and Nephi come to mind. 2 Nephi chapter 13 is relevant, but:

24 And it shall come to pass, instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle, a rent; and instead of well set hair, baldness; and instead of a stomacher, a girding of sackcloth; burning instead of beauty.

25 Thy men shall fall by the sword and thy mighty in the war.

26 And her gates shall lament and mourn; and she shall be desolate, and shall sit upon the ground.

The Nephites likened the scriptures (especially Isaiah) to themselves being covenant people. We, also being covenant people can liken their writings to ourselves, too. 

I think the Gadianton Robbers have re-appeared as Al Qaeda and ISIS.  These groups thrive on secret oaths and blend into society with the intent of committing terrorism and eventually overthrowing democracy.  It is frightening to see how operatives from these groups blend in with the general population in European countries and hide in plain sight until they strike.  I don't know how others feel, but I certainly think terrorist groups are a more extreme form of evil than what we are used to dealing with, and I can kind of see the dilemma the Nephites and Lamanites found themselves in when these Gadianton Robbers, these murderous armies without a state, started appearing.  

One difference between modern terrorist groups and Gadianton Robbers is, outside of extremist Islamic circles, modern terror groups hold virtually no appeal.  I have heard many times that one of the signs of the times is the return of the Gadianton Robbers (sorry, I have no source for this to cite on hand).  Perhaps a more direct fulfillment of the return of the Gadianton Robbers is pending?

Edited by DoctorLemon

7 hours ago, skalenfehl said:

. "Gadiantons" are alive and well in the US and in Utah, where I live. 

Out of curiosity, to whom are you referring?  Narcoterrorists, perhaps?

I think there are Gadiantons in the US right now, and they aren't merely terrorists groups, they are political groups.  How many of us have heard of the cover ups of both parties recently (and more), or doing things that those not in power would got to jail for, or being involved with media and other conglomerates under the table so that they can cheat on interviews and question and answer arenas, or use those to deceive us.  To me, these are all signals that there are Gadiantons among us, and perhaps are the majority that are in control of our political power at the highest levels currently.

These are those involved with some pretty powerful and heavy duty secret societies dedicated to the control of the US government.  I think there are multiple groups of Gadiantons, and the only thing that really is keeping us from being swept away by them is our own faith in the Lord (and it's not just LDS faith, I think it's anyone who has a strong Faith in the Lord and a dedication to keep his commandments as spoken in the Scriptures).

I've begun to think recently that perhaps honest leaders are the minority these days, rather than the majority, at least in the highest halls of power.

Edited by JohnsonJones

34 And thus we see that the Nephites did begin to dwindle in unbelief, and grow in wickedness and abominations, while the Lamanites began to grow exceedingly in the knowledge of their God; yea, they did begin to keep his statutes and commandments, and to walk in truth and uprightness before him.

35 And thus we see that the Spirit of the Lord began to withdraw from the Nephites, because of the wickedness and the hardness of their hearts.

36 And thus we see that the Lord began to pour out his Spirit upon the Lamanites, because of their easiness and willingness to believe in his words.

37 And it came to pass that the Lamanites did hunt the band of robbers of Gadianton; and they did preach the word of God among the more wicked part of them, insomuch that this band of robbers was utterly destroyed from among the Lamanites.

38 And it came to pass on the other hand, that the Nephites did build them up and support them, beginning at the more wicked part of them, until they had overspread all the land of the Nephites, and had seduced the more part of the righteous until they had come down to believe in their works and partake of their spoils, and to join with them in their secret murders and combinations.

39 And thus they did obtain the sole management of the government, insomuch that they did trample under their feet and smite and rend and turn their backs upon the poor and the meek, and the humble followers of God.

40 And thus we see that they were in an awful state, and ripening for an everlasting destruction.