Callings

Autumnwind

I'll start with my questions first: is it appropriate to talk to my bishop about receiving a calling? And how do callings work? I'm coming back home from school and am eager to have a calling and serve in my ward. I was thinking of texting my bishop and giving him the heads up that I'm coming home and would like to be kept in mind for a calling. But is that appropriate? Do I wait to see what God wants from me in my ward and not influence that process at all? My friend also texted a member of the bishopric and they asked him what calling he wanted. He also said that he wanted to give a talk and they are going to let him do that as well. I thought that was weird because it's based on the Lord. I'm not exactly sure how this works though.

Yes, that is appropriate.  Don't ask for a specific calling (that's not appropriate), but expressing a willingness and desire to serve is very appropriate.

I would hope that when they asked your friend what calling he would like, it was to help them ponder before taking it to the Lord.  And there's a difference between asking for a specific calling, and being asked what calling you would like / feel able to do.  As for letting him talk - it's hard for them to find people to do that week after week, so if he's willing and there are no red flags to suggest he shouldn't talk in Sacrament Meeting, of course they're going to let him talk as soon as they feel like adding him to the schedule. :)

I think it would be just fine to reach out to the bishopric and let them know you're coming back and that you're willing to serve. It would probably be a good idea to let them know how long you'll be around as well. I also think they'd love to hear that someone would like to give a talk. I'm sure they don't hear that very often so it would be nice for a change. Welcome to the forum!

11 hours ago, Autumnwind said:

Do I wait to see what God wants from me in my ward and not influence that process at all? My friend also texted a member of the bishopric and they asked him what calling he wanted. He also said that he wanted to give a talk and they are going to let him do that as well. I thought that was weird because it's based on the Lord. I'm not exactly sure how this works though.

Then lets discuss how it works.  Yes the Lord can reveal things that the Bishop doesn't not know.  However most of the time the Lord works through Inspiration rather then Revelation.  For inspiration the bishop needs to be studying things out with his own knowledge and wisdom, and then taking his "answer" to the Lord for confirmation.

So how does the bishop gain knowledge and wisdom about members of his ward?  By getting to know them.  So generally they will try to get to know new members.  For this getting to know you process there is no requirement on who initiates it.  There is nothing wrong with you seeking out the Bishop and letting him get to know you (and vice versa).  And indeed you initiating the process can take some of the burden off the bishop, because generally they have a lot of things they need to do and demands on their time

Guest MormonGator

Bishops are busy men, usually very busy. I think you are doing him a favor by saying "How can I help?" He'll probably be really happy about it! 

That said, don't take it personal if he says "Brother, I'm sure yet, give me a few days to pray and think about it." 

I admire you. Lots of people (myself included) would turn down callings or just never show up. That you want to do it is really cool! 

12 hours ago, Autumnwind said:

I'll start with my questions first: is it appropriate to talk to my bishop about receiving a calling? And how do callings work? I'm coming back home from school and am eager to have a calling and serve in my ward. I was thinking of texting my bishop and giving him the heads up that I'm coming home and would like to be kept in mind for a calling. But is that appropriate? Do I wait to see what God wants from me in my ward and not influence that process at all? My friend also texted a member of the bishopric and they asked him what calling he wanted. He also said that he wanted to give a talk and they are going to let him do that as well. I thought that was weird because it's based on the Lord. I'm not exactly sure how this works though.

I've actually gone to my bishop and said,"Bishop, it's been a month now and neither my wife nor I have callings.  If you wait much longer, we may go inactive."

Edited by Guest

I've once asked for a specific calling because I felt led to it. I asked to be a ward missionary, and, not long after, I was called to be a ward missionary. I have to say, it was to date the calling I've enjoyed most. 

My wife and I are on the provident living committee, we do nothing. We've not convened as a committee in 3 or so years and have been in that calling for four years. My wife has gone LESS active, she's  more upset about it than I am. I've give it another year, if it remains this way, I'll have another talk with him, if that fails, I'll ramp up my inquiries. 

Just now, MormonGator said:

What's that? 

When the Provident living comittee chairperson was actually doing that, my wife taught canning, storage of goods needed for one year, etc.I taught archery, we had range days and I took some of the men hunting. I also taught knife, axe and hatchet care to newer men in the ward that had less experience living in the woods. Easy calling. 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Bad Karma said:

When the Provident living comittee chairperson was actually doing that, my wife taught canning, storage of goods needed for one year, etc.I taught archery, we had range days and I took some of the men hunting. I also taught knife, axe and hatchet care to newer men in the ward that had less experience living in the woods. Easy calling. 

Thanks. Never heard of it before. 

1 hour ago, Bad Karma said:

We've not convened as a committee in 3 or so years and have been in that calling for four years. My wife has gone LESS active, she's  more upset about it than I am. I've give it another year, if it remains this way, I'll have another talk with him, if that fails, I'll ramp up my inquiries. 

Why wait?

Want to give a talk? Sure fire method. Approach the person who assigns talks, normally part of the Bishopric, offer to write a talk and keep it so that if someone does not show up or is sick, they can call on you. Ask them what topic you should look at for this standard talk. They will then automatically ask you to give a talk. I normally do this at the beginning of every summer. Then I can coast Winter and Fall!