New and Need Some Help

Andon Jones

1 hour ago, Andon Jones said:

Yes I am in the US

We have some different standards here in Canada, but my understanding for the States is that any NCCA accredited certification is considered to be reputable. I'd still recommend looking for education background as well as some certifications may not require it.

1 hour ago, Andon Jones said:

That's true, how would I lose muscle?

Losing muscle is actually similar to losing fat, except that it is more metabolically active which means it requires more energy to keep it around. To lose muscle you need to stop creating stimuli that build it or keep it around and run a caloric deficit. However, having extra muscle will assist in your fat-loss efforts so don't worry too much about trying to lose muscle as much as just trying to lose weight in general. 

Usually when running a caloric deficit, weight lost is partitioned so that roughly half the weight is fat and half is lean tissue (mostly muscle). Resistance training during weight reduction changes the equation so that a much higher proportion of weight lost is from fat, because the resistance training creates a sufficient stimulus to let the body know that the muscle is needed for survival based on recent activity. In some cases muscle can even be gained while fat is being lost, which you may have already experienced, but probably not to the extent you've been lead to believe. The key to weight-loss in general is to eat less energy (calories) but this doesn't have to mean less volume if choosing nutrient dense foods.

As far as exercise goes, resistance training (exercises that require to exert against an external load usually for less than 20 repetitions) is going to be the main thing that keeps muscle around or causes it to grow. Endurance activities such as biking, hiking and so on may actually help you to burn muscle, especially when performed for longer durations without supplementing energy along the way (ie sports drinks or juice). This is because the body preferentially burns carbohydrate and fat for fuel and doesn't like to tap into amino acids (protein from lean tissue such as muscle) so protein is only ever a minor energy source during exercise, and not even worth mentioning in the fuel mix for shorter activities.

Anyway, I don't want to get too technical here, I just wanted to try to explain the answer to your question. Simply put, eat less calories and do less resistance training if you want to lose muscle. 

19 hours ago, Andon Jones said:

That's true, how would I lose muscle?

Quit lifting. Muscle goes away, just like that. Of course, cut down on your caloric intake, too.

That said, I disagree with SilentOne in this. You don't need to lose muscle. That's crazy talk.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a situation where deliberately losing muscle is the best focus.

Edit: I don't think adding this really clarified my position like I had meant it to, but I had something like 3 hours of sleep last night and have a lot going on today so I probably won't really fix it until Monday at the earliest.

Edited by SilentOne

On 9/15/2017 at 12:04 AM, Andon Jones said:

The hardest part about all this weight loss and fitness stuff is everyone says there right and everyone else says the other person is wrong...

I don't know who to talk to for help, I obviously am not doing a good job alone. Any ideas how I can find the educated fitness gurus?

There is a fella at the gym I go to who is hired as a trainer, is that like who ya'll are talking about? Or is he too just tying to get something?

An older buddy of mine at the gym was telling me he has and is going to school for this stuff so I will start there I think.

If not, what about a physical therapist would he/she know anything to help me?

Also not trying to beat a dead horse here, but why would the $10,000 scale which he lets us use for free, be a ploy and not a tool?

Because the scales don't work accurately.  Have you spoken to a trainer?  Do they have one of these "$10,000" scales?   Likely not.  A supplement store sells supplements.  Which one is it? GNC?  Vitamin World?

Fitness is a huge part of my life.  I help some people with weight loss and some people with conditioning.  I'm not a professional nor an expert.  If you want my advice I'll give it to you.  Any advice I give you will be generic programs I've run in the past.   I don't claim to have the only answer or the best answer.  I don't know you, your eating habits, your current conditioning, or your medical history.   If you want professional advice go talk to a dietician or a fitness professional.  You'll get advice specific to you.

1st: Your  quote Andon:

"The way I see it right now I can stop all this and go with my plans I had after I got off my mission, and my family will hate me for it and I will always have to tell the story of why I didn't go on a mission for the rest of my life. "

Is this really the way your family rolls? Talk to your parents about that- make sure that is not the case. If it is...wow. I didn't go on a mission and I was sure my family would treat me that way. They were not happy about it and gave me a ton of crap (in a loving way of course), but after I got out of the Army they finally dropped it. I was not disowned or anything like that. As for having to tell the story- yes that will happen to varying degrees. You will be judged for that no matter the reason. Most people don't care though so if this all boils down to you not being able to go- you will have to get over that part. Yes there are women in the YSA wards who would never date or marry a non-RM. You will find those who will. There are plenty of RMs who no one wants to date/marry also, but that is usually because they are lazy and non-productive. Just be yourself and be an achiever.

Now for the weight part- 

I never had a problem with weight until I was the recipient of many injuries two of which involved broken vertebrae. After that healed and I was left with internal organ damage and then nerve issues in my lower limbs, I have had issues with weight because I like to eat. I still maintain a decent fitness level considering and am in better shape than many people in my ward who are younger than me. I'm still kinda fat though and it is a constant battle.

About 7-8 yrs ago I ended up being pre-diabetic. Took a PA to figure it out. I didn't look like it as I am very muscular, stocky and "to me" I wasn't fat. The DR said yes you are and you need to get on a lifelong diet. My physical situation is such that I don't have much endurance and despite exercising every day, weight is a struggle.

Three words for you -                      South-beach-diet

Use it and the weight will fall off of you. You can modify the meals and be successful. My DR said to use it as a template for healthy eating and it would serve me well. My BMI, Glucose, Cholesterol etc all shaped up real fast on that diet and all these years later the blood numbers remain good. Because of that I will now die of other causes instead if diabetes.

no more soda, video games, tv, candy, cake etc... just suck it up for a few weeks and you will get used to it. You can do it.

As for the soda and stuff- not saying you are an excessive consumer of those things but just stop altogether if you do use them and you will be rewarded. Stay busy, exercise a lot and eat healthy. Don't starve, just eat good.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, paracaidista508 said:

Is this really the way your family rolls?

To be honest I don't have the nerve to talk to them real about it like that. But any time I try to ask them why should I keep up with all this, and asking their opinions on my situation, they just brush me off and avoid the questions. Don't get me wrong I love my parents but I am not one of their main concerns.

no more soda, video games, tv, candy, cake etc... just suck it up for a few weeks and you will get used to it. You can do it.

As for the soda and stuff- not saying you are an excessive consumer of those things but just stop altogether if you do use them and you will be rewarded. Stay busy, exercise a lot and eat healthy. Don't starve, just eat good.

I am lucky in that I don't have a sweet tooth, and going with out them has been pretty easy. With Video games I cant afford them haha.