God in the old testament is really Jesus?

I find when you start describing the Trinity and the LDS Godhead, it's really not that different, and you actually start talking about what a "person" is vs a "personage" or a "being" vs a "person" and it just ends up saying the same thing, but saying you disagree.  I had a non-Mormon friend chide Mormons for believing in a 2/3 body 1/3 spirit God, because we believe the Father and Son are physical beings, and the Holy Ghost is a spirit.   But then I think, well, if Jesus was resurrected then you believe in a 1/3 body 2/3 spirit God.  So, what's the real beef?  That we "limit" the Father with a body that you "limit" the Son with?  And yet the resurrection is the pinnacle of Christianity.  Is is not why we celebrate Easter?

On 3/17/2018 at 5:34 PM, truthseaker said:

That is interesting isn't it. A lot of different faiths use the same proof texts to explain totally different beliefs.

14 hours ago, bytebear said:

I find when you start describing the Trinity and the LDS Godhead, it's really not that different, and you actually start talking about what a "person" is vs a "personage" or a "being" vs a "person" and it just ends up saying the same thing, but saying you disagree.  I had a non-Mormon friend chide Mormons for believing in a 2/3 body 1/3 spirit God, because we believe the Father and Son are physical beings, and the Holy Ghost is a spirit.   But then I think, well, if Jesus was resurrected then you believe in a 1/3 body 2/3 spirit God.  So, what's the real beef?  That we "limit" the Father with a body that you "limit" the Son with?  And yet the resurrection is the pinnacle of Christianity.  Is is not why we celebrate Easter?

bytebear, you're right that the difference is very nuanced.  BUT, that nuanced difference causes giant ripples down the road.

Okay, so trying to explain this in a simplistic manner - the difference between Trinity and Godhead is the God substance and how the 3 persons are ONE God. 

In Trinitarian belief, the substance that is God is unique and unknowable.  This God substance has the material capability of manifesting into 3 persons.  Man is not the same substance as God, therefore, there is NO WAY that Man will ever be one with God in that exact same oneness that Christ is one with the Father.  

The Godhead substance is the same substance as immortal Man so it is unknowable at this stage of our mortality.  What makes the 3 persons ONE God is not the substance but their WILL.  There is only ONE Will that is God - a divergence from this WILL is not God.   This may sound not big of a difference in who God is to us but it makes a huge difference in who we are to God.  The fact that Man, in his free will, can align his Will perfectly with God's and become a person in that Godhead is heresy of the highest order in Trinitarian teaching.  It's basically the same heresy that caused Christ to hang on the cross when they didn't believe that Christ is God for he is mortal man like the rest of us.

Edited by anatess2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:34 PM, truthseaker said:

That is interesting isn't it. A lot of different faiths use the same proof texts to explain totally different beliefs.

In order to understand the society of G-d and what it means to have a G-d the ancients were given to understand the society of G-d as a “Kingdom”.  Often, we talk of the Kingdom of heaven or the kingdom of G-d.  Common to this understand is the doctrine of the fall of Adam (fall of man) is the concept that the fall is an exile from the society of G-d.  Anciently kingdoms were presided over by the supreme Suzerain – the official title of this supreme Suzerain is King.  Those that have fallen and were in exile did not enjoy all the right of the regular citizens of the kingdom.  But there were still subject to the supreme Suzerain king – however, a “Mediator” was assigned to represent them and their concerns and petitions before the Suzerain king.   Interesting the official title of the Mediator for those exiled or fallen is also king.

In short, the ancient scriptures testify that Jesus is the “Mediator” king assigned by the Father to preside over the fallen exiled mortal society of mankind.  This means that any reference to G-d after the fall, of necessity and according to the laws of kingdoms, would be the title and reference the appointed G-d and King of the fallen exiles.  According to Christian doctrine – Jesus is the Son of G-d and the “Proper” mediator.

If you would like more explanation or references – I would be most happy to provide them.  Even though different faiths have confusing doctrine – interestingly they also use terms use in scripture even though they try to give confusing meaning concerning doctrine of the G-dhead (Trinity).

The Traveler

On 3/19/2018 at 9:29 PM, jerome1232 said:

I gotta be blunt, my eyes cross in funny ways when people starting getting into Trinity theology.

That was one primary reason my parents subscribed to the LDS version of God.  The entire family for three or four generations didn't get the Trinity either.