Listening to the prophet speak to youth

Fether

The other week, my wife asked me if I was going to watch the devotional given to the youth of the church from President Nelson. I told her I wasn’t. She asked why not and I said it was because it was a talk given to the youth and there were other things I wanted to study at that afternoon.

well today in EQ, the teacher asked for a raise of hands of who all listened to the talk given to the youth. He then preceded to chastise everyone in the room (all but 2) about not choosing to listen to the prophet speak.

So my question is this. I’m not looking for justification on my decision to not listen, but rather to be taught. Should I have a different attitude toward when the prophet speaks? Ought I to have listened to the talk even though it wasn’t addressed to me?

5 minutes ago, Fether said:

The other week, my wife asked me if I was going to watch the devotional given to the youth of the church from President Nelson. I told her I wasn’t. She asked why not and I said it was because it was a talk given to the youth and there were other things I wanted to study at that afternoon.

well today in EQ, the teacher asked for a raise of hands of who all listened to the talk given to the youth. He then preceded to chastise everyone in the room (all but 2) about not choosing to listen to the prophet speak.

So my question is this. I’m not looking for justification on my decision to not listen, but rather to be taught. Should I have a different attitude toward when the prophet speaks? Ought I to have listened to the talk even though it wasn’t addressed to me?

Your EQT is out of line. It was for the youth and you could have listened to it if you wanted to. It would help to go over it with your kids but it was for them not specifically you. 

Don't feel bad

Edited by Overwatch

25 minutes ago, Overwatch said:

Your EQT is out of line. It was for the youth and you could have listened to it if you wanted to. It would help to go over it with your kids but it was for them not specifically you. 

Don't feel bad

I agree.  A message specifically  tailored for youth is meant for youth.  Of course you can benefit from listening to it too (principles are all the same), but you're not obligated to sit through that particular presentation.  

Edited by Jane_Doe

@Fether I did not listen either. I may have read the text. 

I wish people would not do as your teacher did and publically chastise people. About 15 years ago, before my time, the bishop made the entire congregation stand up. He only allowed people to sit down if they had had a certain man to dinner. He proceeded to chastise those who had not had the young man to dinner. The young man was mentally disabled. 

Well this incident upset a lot of people. The bishop probably did not stop to refect that he, the bishop, has a wife who did all the work. Shopping, cleaning, preparing. 

It is easy to judge other people.