Kavanaugh Confirmed 50-48

Midwest LDS

A couple of fora I drop in on occasionally, have posed variants of the following script, set for this coming Monday morning:

[Scene:  Brett Kavanaugh’s chambers, Supreme Court building, Washington.]

Kavanaugh hears a knock at his door.  He answers it—it’s Clarence Thomas, with a bottle of scotch and two glasses in his hands.  Thomas gives Kavanaigh a knowing, sympathetic, resigned look.  Kavanaugh steps aside.  Thomas enters and silently pours out two drinks.  Each man takes a glass.  They sit on opposite leather couches amidst the richly carved wooden paneling, wordlessly and moodily sipping their drinks.

KAVANAUGH:  You know, Clarence, I’ve always had some issues with your brand of originalism.

[He lifts his gaze contemplatively to his window, and beyond, across the street, where the Capitol building looms.]

But . . . let’s. burn. this. city. to. the. ground.

THOMAS:  [A slow smile spreads across his face.]

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Guest MormonGator

I'm just waiting till the time when Kavanugh swings to left on a ruling. The right will suddenly jump up and down and the left will say "Hey, that guy ain't so bad in the first place." 

The left did that to Souter and O'Connor. Then when they voted in favor of abortion rights, the right stomped around in anger and the left suddenly said "We love Sandra and David! We always have!" 

Ahh, politics. 

6 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I'm just waiting till the time when Kavanugh swings to left on a ruling. The right will suddenly jump up and down and the left will say "Hey, that guy ain't so bad in the first place." 

The left did that to Souter and O'Connor. Then when they voted in favor of abortion rights, the right stomped around in anger and the left suddenly said "We love Sandra and David! We always have!" 

Ahh, politics. 

Perhaps.  But Souter and O’Connor both had over ninety votes for confirmation.  It may be hard for Kavanaugh to forget who his enemies are.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Just_A_Guy said:

It may be hard for Kavanaugh to forget who his enemies are.

Right, because in politics your friends and enemies change. 

And sadly, sometimes in the real world too. 

Edited by MormonGator

For what it's worth, I never really wanted Kavanaugh.  Based on his existing rulings and opinions, he's no Gorsuch or Thomas.  Honestly, he's about the same as Kennedy in my mind; like for like.  That said, the confirmation process he suffered was ridiculous.  I am kind of hoping one of the lefty justices who views the constitution as a living, breathing fluid document kicks the bucket before Trump is out.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, person0 said:

I am kind of hoping one of the lefty justices who views the constitution as a living, breathing fluid document kicks the bucket before Trump is out.

To wish death upon someone for such a reason is incredibly disturbing. 

8 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

To wish death upon someone for such a reason is incredibly disturbing. 

I don't want them to die by any cause other than natural causes if it is just their time to go.  If it's not their time to go, oh well.  I have more of an opportunistic view, rather than a morbid view of the situation.

Edited by person0

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, person0 said:

I don't want them to die by any cause other than natural causes if it is just their time to go.  If it's not their time to go, oh well.

Oh. 

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Ahh, politics. 

That's what always happens. The same thing occured when Chief Justice Roberts found Obamacare consitutional. It was actually kind of funny to watch the Democrats suddenly admiting the thing they'd been denying the whole trial after Roberts voted for their view (that the individual mandate was a tax). I'd never seen President Obama back up so quickly. The rage on the Right was apopletic. Politics as usual. Friends are never permanent in Washington.

Edited by Midwest LDS

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

That's what always happens. The same thing occured when Chief Justice Roberts found Obamacare consitutional. It was actually kind of funny to watch the Democrats suddenly admiting the thing they'd been denying the whole trial after Roberts voted for their view (that the individual mandate was a tax). I'd never seen President Obama back up so quickly. The rage on the Roght was apopletic. Politics as usual. Friends are never permanent in Washington.

"If you want a friend in this town, better get a dog."-Harry Truman. 

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

The city of Washington was built on a stagnant swamp some 200 years ago, and very little has changed. It stank then, and it stinks now. Lisa Simspon

I actually love that city. Every time I go I wish I could spend more time there. 

Shows a lot about my personality, and probably nothing good! 

4 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I actually love that city. Every time I go I wish I could spend more time there. 

Shows a lot about my personality, and probably nothing good! 

You're not the only one. I used to live in Arlington and I loved going to the Smithsonian when I was a kid (yep I was the one who begged his dad to take him to the air and space museum regularly☺). I would say it's some of the people who dwell there, more than the city itself, that are problamatic.

Edited by Midwest LDS

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Midwest LDS said:

You're not the only one. I used to live in Arlington and I loved going to the Smithsonian when I was a kid (yep I was the one who begged his dad to take him to the air and space museum regularly☺). I would say it's some of the people who dwell there more than the city itself that can be problamatic.

lol. 

I love the political junkies who populate that city. The three hour conversations about policy that take place in the restaurants. The protests, the people trying to convince you that they have "real power" even though they don't. Everything about that city but the traffic and winters. 

Guest Godless
11 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

A couple of fora I drop in on occasionally, have posed variants of the following script, set for this coming Monday morning:

[Scene:  Brett Kavanaugh’s chambers, Supreme Court building, Washington.]

Kavanaugh hears a knock at his door.  He answers it—it’s Clarence Thomas, with a bottle of scotch and two glasses in his hands.  Thomas gives Kavanaigh a knowing, sympathetic, resigned look.  Kavanaugh steps aside.  Thomas enters and silently pours out two drinks.  Each man takes a glass.  They sit on opposite leather couches amidst the richly carved wooden paneling, wordlessly and moodily sipping their drinks.

KAVANAUGH:  You know, Clarence, I’ve always had some issues with your brand of originalism.

[He lifts his gaze contemplatively to his window, and beyond, across the street, where the Capitol building looms.]

But . . . let’s. burn. this. city. to. the. ground.

THOMAS:  [A slow smile spreads across his face.]

A highly improbable scenario. We all know Kavanaugh prefers beer.

13 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Right, because in politics your friends and enemies change. 

And sadly, sometimes in the real world too. 

Well, there's a happy side to that too.  People can change.  People can repent.  And those whom I consider enemies may yet become friends.

People change.  Our hope is that they will change for good rather than evil.