Sign in to follow this  
Manners Matter

Activity Days - Ideas that focus on the Faith in God program

Talent Try it Night - Have slips of paper with different talents listed and they choose to act, do or draw. Send them home with a paper that listed all of them and have them try a different one each week. (see link below)
Physical Fitness night (see dev talents #8) - Have them rotate through different activities (jumprope, sit ups, push ups, pilates, shoot hoops, etc). Talk about individual and team activities (not all of our girls can afford dance, soccer teams...).
Book Share (see dev talents #6 for discussion) - Have each girl bring a favorite book and tell why she likes it.

Family Night (see lrn/lv gspl #8) - Arrange to go to the FHC with a parent (who has a familysearch account) and have them look up their family on puzilla, pedigree pie, rootsmapper and play geneapardy. Print out the free coloring/activity pages on lds.org for them to take home.
Putting Christ in Christmas - Share meaningful stories, poems, scriptures in between the girls taking turns playing or singing a non-commercial Christmas song. Dim the lights and bring in a rocker, small Christmas tree, led tealights.
Service Night (see srvng othrs #2) - Write letters to missionaries and grandparents, thank you notes to teachers/parents/bus driver...
Service Paper Chains - On strips of paper, have the girls write down different things they can do for people and who they'll do them for. Have them put them together to hang in their room and do one each day.
Random Act of Kindness Night - Get wrapped candies (ie starbursts) and put a few in baggies with notes they color and then leave on people's windshields in the church parking lot (assuming that's where you meet at the same time as the youth).  (the notes were 4x5 - you are a gem, you are loved, you are a gift - found on google).

Book of Mormon Night is pretty quick - We learned the 8th AofF (guess-a-letter/hangman), then I showed the girls Pres Monson's 3 minute gen conf talk. I then pulled out the Gospel Art picts and did a short overall review (I could tell some of it was totally new for some of them). We then ended by playing BofM bingo - blackout style since we had time.

Manners Night (Serving Others #6) - { was done in May for Mother's Day and I told the girls that moms like good manners 😊 } We did some charades, played 'Miss Manners Says' and then put together manners jars to take home so they could practice different things every day. (got jars at dollar store)

Gratitude Night (was done in early Nov but good any time) -  The focus was on being thankful, grateful and by extension, having compassion. We read the account of the 10 lepers and talked about the importance of expressing thanks and showing gratitude. We then made a thankful/grateful yarn web (stood in a circle, said something they're thankful for and tossed a ball of yarn to someone else). We then ended by creating a ‘sounds of gratitude’ door hang (they wrote things they appreciate on slips of paper and attached them to a ring with bells hanging from it (dollar store) - took them home to hang on their doors and whenever heard bells, say quick thanks to Heavenly Father).

(will edit later to add - talent ideas sheet, manners idea, bom nght, gratitude night)

talents - activity days.pdf

Edited by Manners Matter

When AD is cancelled for whatever reason, email the parents with a suggestion or two of what they can do at home (the FiG reqs that are easier at home - ie plan/prepare nutritious meal, visit a museum..., etc). This helps reinforce the fact that it's on the parents for their kid to earn the FiG award and you're just helping. : )

Edited by Manners Matter

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:43 PM, Grunt said:

Thank you!  This is incredible!

You're welcome! I hope it helps. I've edited the above post to add the other ideas. One other thing - object lessons! They're a great way to get their attention and teach principles. They're also memorable. Check here: http://www.mormonshare.com/search-lds-object-lesson.php