Principle vs Expediency

2ndRateMind

3 hours ago, 2ndRateMind said:

Actually, I'm quite happy to do that. But do not think he will get an easy time! It's not as if I am getting one, from you lot.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Missionaries don't suspend their lives for 18 months to 2 years to go on a mission expecting an "easy time".  

But just think about what you said... here we have thousands of missionaries trekking full time for 2 years, doing nothing else but trying to spread Christianity... and you just told them they're not going to have an easy time with you - somebody who agrees that we shouldn't be stoning people and that we should live charitable lives... What makes you think you can get everybody in the planet to agree to stop stoning people?  Unless, of course, you're thinking about bringing the mighty arm of tyranny over those who don't agree with you.

On 4/7/2019 at 1:53 PM, 2ndRateMind said:

Indeed we have. And a slew of prophets, as well, some of which have had the presumption to claim to be the second coming. Philosophy, however, is more about asking questions, and deciding which questions are right to investigate, and clarifying their meaning, than providing answers. Once it is clear what the question is, and how to answer it, philosophy hands the issue over to science. Nevertheless, even in the most difficult of enquiries, gradually over those thousands of years, philosophers have made progress, and I recommend them to you.

Best wishes, 2RM

Dude, sorry to break it to ya.  But philosophers aren't the ones that made "progress".  Christianity is.  The greatest of such progress is the secession of the USA from Britain that declares that Man has Rights inalienable by virtue of them being created by God.

1 minute ago, Vort said:

Regarding this conversation: Did you realize that the phrase "spit into the wind" is a bowdlerized euphemism? Replace the 't' with an 's' and rearrange the letters. :)

I'm recently guilty of conversing with both 2RM and jamie and thought they were both 2RM.  But that's fine because I learned a new word.  Bowdlerized.  And I learned new offensive words in English. 

Guest Mores
3 minutes ago, Vort said:

And sound alike, guv'nah.

Wot?  Blimey!  I've never 'eard such cheek like tha'.  I'm gettin' so knackered, I'll have to bum a fag off me mate to keep from gettin' so narky I'll 'ave to get trollied to get bloody crackin' again.