MCU's new HERo

anatess2

38 minutes ago, Fether said:

The Press can say Lord of The Rings was a love story about vampires, that doesn’t make it a love story about vampires.

And if the press was a third party then yeah you could say that. But if that press was JRR Tolkien himself and he was telling you that Lord of the The Rings was a love story about vampires.  And you went to see it based on his words "A love story about Vampires" and you got LoTR instead.  You'd have every reason to feel defrauded, to question his motives for such a deception.

59 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

And if the press was a third party then yeah you could say that. But if that press was JRR Tolkien himself and he was telling you that Lord of the The Rings was a love story about vampires.  And you went to see it based on his words "A love story about Vampires" and you got LoTR instead.  You'd have every reason to feel defrauded, to question his motives for such a deception.

And I guess this is where we separate in our judgments of movies. I don’t typically notice or pay much attention to what is said about a movie, rather just the content. Similarly, I am admittedly blind to agendas in movies unless they are over the top or unrealistic (ie Warmonger in Black Panther, and the girl power scene in End Game). To me there was a minor feminist tone to the movie, but I feel that only came from expectation and what i heard about Bre Larson. but it didn’t bug me at all.

When I watch movies, I don’t look at them as works of art and critique them with ideas of where they could have done better, I watch movies almost like I read history books, there is no creator of the narrative, there are individual people acting on their own accord, and stuff happens.  This is also probably why I enjoyed the starwars movies (though I’m slowly changing my opinion on them).

To me, this movie stands pretty well on its own. It takes place over a short amount of time. I felt her reaction in this scene matched who she was portrayed as early on. and based on what we see of Captain Marvel 5 years later in End Game, it looks like there were some positive changes in her personality (again, I may eat my words when we see her again when she has a more prominent role). I felt the changes we saw in her in the movie were minor, but it would have been unbelievable if drastic changes had occurred over the course of a few days.

Edited by Fether

Guest Godless
1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I think there was some intentional irony in the fact that she said that while still loyal to the Kree.

6 minutes ago, Godless said:

I think there was some intentional irony in the fact that she said that while still loyal to the Kree.

In context yes, but to @The Folk Prophet‘s point, this was the press release trailer for the movie, and people watching it, who don’t know who the Kree are, would assume she is referring to herself as a righteous, do-good, super hero. Which wasn’t the case.

Edited by Fether

Did everybody just forget that Captain Marvel was DELIBERATELY SHOEHORNED into the Avengers?

This is not about One Movie.  This is about the MCU where each movie is just a chapter of the entire arc.

She didn’t need to be in End Game but Disney/Marvel (post Stan Lee) wanted CM to be the next torch bearer after Ironman.  So they wanted to launch her before the current phase ends.  And this is how they decided to present this character.  A hero without a hero’s journey.  As terrible a female personality as Ronda Rousey.  She’s a badly developed hero and to use her as the “Face of Female Heros TM” is a disgrace to womanhood and a slap in the face of Black Widow and Scarlet Witch.

There’s no shortage of poorly developed heros.  What makes CM special is the hype Disney built around her and their decision to deliberately put the movie as a piece in the culture war waging in socio-political arena.  You can say, “but it isn’t!”... unfortunately, Disney disagrees with you.

Edited by anatess2

Guest Godless
21 minutes ago, Fether said:

In context yes, but to @The Folk Prophet‘s point, this was the press release trailer for the movie, and people watching it, who don’t know who the Kree are, would assume she is referring to herself as a righteous, do-good, super hero. Which wasn’t the case.

I'd say this was an intentional misdirection to shield the ultimate plot twist. They did the same thing in the Infinity War trailer when they showed the Hulk running with the other Avengers in the Wakanda scene. At least in the CM trailer they didn't have to alter anything. They just had to show a clip out of context.

1 minute ago, Godless said:

I'd say this was an intentional misdirection to shield the ultimate plot twist. They did the same thing in the Infinity War trailer when they showed the Hulk running with the other Avengers in the Wakanda scene. At least in the CM trailer they didn't have to alter anything. They just had to show a clip out of context.

Mmm... I completely agree with you 

34 minutes ago, Fether said:

And I guess this is where we separate in our judgments of movies.

Which is fine...  We all can have different likes and thing enjoy.  But if you want to play that card you have to accept and let others be different instead of trying to show that they are wrong and how your interpretation is the correct one.  My whole post was about seeing both side being presented yet you focus your effort on one side was wrong and yours was right.

I have not seen the movie.  When I do I will probably enjoy it without thinking to much about any kind of agendas they may or may not have.

But for those that do have an agenda... They can't call for equality and place someone as a Role Model who perform an action that would be universally wrong had it been gender swapped.  Or at least they can't do it without it being part of the growth arc of them repenting and becoming better (aka Spider Man and Uncle Ben, Tony Stark's weapon business etc etc)