Divide and Conquer

Traveler

Often we speak of diversity.   It seems to be that some that claim diversity is a good thing – use diversity to destroy all that is good about it.  A short story of a segment of my life.  I went into the army having never met or talked to a “black” person.  I had images (prejudices) just from ignorance.  My best friend in the army turned out to be a “black” person.  We had many personal one-on-one discussions.  My friend was a college grad that could not get any other job to support his family.  Being young and stupid – I could not understand that as smart as he was and hard as he worked, that it was hard for him to find a job.  I, being a “Mormon” and he being “black” we were both kind of outcasts and so we became friends.  He said something to me that has had a very big impact.  He said, “As long as we see differences in each other we will never see things the same.”

Every individual is different from every other individual – that is what makes us individuals.  But we are also the same type and race.  We are more alike than we are different.  In the doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints – we are not just all children of our Father in heaven but we are brothers and sisters.  So we are more than just the same race of living creatures – we are family.

Jesus commanded that we be of one heart and mind.  However, even in a family there are differences of opinion.  Jesus never said to be of one opinion.  I had a debate teacher in high school that stood by the notion that if you cannot take the other opinion and argue it at least as well as your opponent – you have not business in debating that topic with them.  The only logical reason to believe there is a difference of opinion on anything is because of two possibilities.  #1. That one knows something that the other does not.  Or #2. That one has experience that the other does not. 

Please note that there is not a lot of “difference between #1 and #2.

Now to the purpose of this thread.  I submit that those that tout diversity in our world (country or society) are intent on destroying both our world, country or society as we know it but strangely enough are as intent on destroying the diversity.  In short substituting their own definition of unity without accepting anything diverse to it.  Forcing everyone to conform.

When force is used to make other conform – freedom and liberty are lost.  The reality the forced diversity is a lie intended to usurp freedoms and liberty.  And so it is that the forces intent on taking away agency, liberty and freedom do so through focus on diversity.  Exaggerating differences so that similarities are forgotten and discorded.  And so it begins that some difference is deplored and all qualifying individuals are ostracized and made subservient to the greater good.

It is true that some individuals commit crimes and that others who are innocent need to be protected from those committing crimes.   It is true that some come to this country disrespecting our laws.  It is true that there is a lot of diversity – but despite all the diversity let us not forget what makes us family.  And do not create violence in our family.  That is not to say do not respond to violence – what it means is not to create violence on individuals that are not themselves violent.  At this point I almost am willing to say to reject those that divide us and see diversity.  But that is exactly the point.  We need to see the individuals and not the types or classes.  We need to see the diversity as part of who we are.

The Traveler