Blagojevich

Vort

I was soooo happy when Blagojevich was sent to the big house. I thought it was a triumph of American justice, where even the rich and powerful are held to account for their corruption. No one deserved the sentence he got more than Rod Blagojevich.

And now Trump has pardoned this sack of scum.

This will feed into the narrative that Trump is an amoral, politically motivated opportunist happy to engage in cronyism. I have wanted to think well (or at least better) of Trump since he started doing things in office that looked good (e.g. Gorsuch nomination), and maybe also because the leftist media and Democrats hated him so intensely. No one whom the Democrats and the media both hate can be all bad, right? But this pardon of Blagojevich sticks in my craw. Alone, it probably won't convince me not to vote for Trump in November. But a couple more steps down that path might do just that.

3 hours ago, Vort said:

No one deserved the sentence he got more than Rod Blagojevich.

Admittedly, this is a subject I know very little about.
I thought the same thing you did Vort.

The only minor redemption 'I think' I recall seeing was Trump basically saying, "Yes, Blagojevich did a bad thing", he agreed with that. Trump was not disputing that he committed a crime but basically was arguing that further time being incarcerated was overly harsh and the 8 years had already served was sufficient to fit that type of crime...OR some distorted version of that in my overly unconcerned mind?

Edited by NeedleinA

16 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

AdmittedlyTrump was not disputing that he committed a crime but basically was arguing that further time being incarcerated was overly harsh and the 8 years had already served was sufficient to fit that type of crime...OR some distorted version of that in my overly unconcerned mind?

It is worth mentioning that Trump knew Blagovich and dontated tens of thousands of dollars to his campaign.

One thing I don't really understand is why the President (any) should have pardon powers.  The Executive Branch of the government is supposed to assure that people follow the law.  Pardons should only be given out to those that are known to be innocent.

1 hour ago, Scott said:

One thing I don't really understand is why the President (any) should have pardon powers.  The Executive Branch of the government is supposed to assure that people follow the law.  Pardons should only be given out to those that are known to be innocent.

For one thing, the pardon power is just about the only meaningful check the executive branch has against the judicial branch.  

The rationale I’ve heard is similar to what @NeedleinA said—that there are murderers and rapists who don’t get fourteen years.  

From a more strategic standpoint:  doing this now a) reminds people of the corruption of the Chicago democratic party machine from which Obama emerged just as the Dems will be campaigning on a return to what they want to present as the “normalcy” of the ostensibly “scandal-free” Obama administration; b) creates the possibility that Blagojavich may say something politically useful (several key Obama campaign workers apparently knew much more about what Blagojavich was up to than was publicly revealed); and c) draws attention to the fact that Trump has actually pardoned/commuted the sentences of fewer people than any president since James Garfield (who served only six months before dying in office.  If you don’t count the two presidents who died in office, the only presidents to issue fewer pardons than Trump were Washington and Adams).

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Generally I agree with @Vort that our laws are intended to convict scum.   But there is a conflict for me and that conflict is reflected in the LDS Gospel Discussion section of the forum - in particular the thread, "Church resources on transgender folks".  @prisonchaplain is a most interesting guy and makes a living comforting the "convicted scum" that are in prison.   He does this out of love and support but I do not believe for a minute that he supports the moral indiscretions that brought those convicted of breaking the law to prison.   

I do not think we should tell the immoral sinners that what they are doing is okay.  I do not think that is what is meant by supporting those that have sinned or that are in the throws of temptation.   I do understand that we can tell sinners that they have value and that G-d loves them - but if anyone is thinking that we should suggest in anyway that one need not repent of sins - I think you are making a mistake.  But I am somewhat callous and have difficulty calling someone to repentance in a loving and compassionate way.  I can describe my thought on this by a skiing reference.  If I see someone fall while skiing because they have their weight on the uphill ski while turning (also the inside ski)  - I have no problem telling them why they fall.  But if they do no want to listen, I do not hate them.  I will even help them get back on their skis - but I will not use up my day skiing following them around helping them each time they fall.  Nor will I wait for them to catch up.  I do not mind helping someone learn or even waiting for someone less skillful than myself - just not for those that will not listen or care to do better.  There are some that I love dearly - that I do not ski with - for the obvious reason.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler