One Last Chance?

Daniel Peterson

I post under the name Daniel Peterson, but my real name, off line, is Daniel Peterson.

I'm a professor of Islamic studies and Arabic at Brigham Young University, and I write on Mormon topics from time to time.

I also travel a lot. For example, I'm going to be out of the country pretty much the entire month of September and into October, and pretty furiously busy, so I'm not likely to be too active here in the near and middle term.

I'm teetering on the brink of deciding that participation on message boards burns up far more time than it's worth -- I've just ended a supremely pointless and exasperating stint on a certain well-shaded board that won't be named -- but I like what I think is the concept behind this one: A board where serious discussion can occur that might actually be helpful to some people. If it works, that would be worthwhile.

How do we know you're not an imposter?

laa imkaaniyya an ta‘rafii dhaalika bi-al-ta’kiid.

(Sorry that I'm unable to put that in Arabic script here.)

However, my natural viciousness and dishonesty, if they're as egregious and deeply rooted as some of my interlocutors on that other board assure me they are, should become apparent in short order. And that should allay any reasonable doubt.

However, my natural viciousness and dishonesty, if they're as egregious and deeply rooted as some of my interlocutors on that other board assure me they are, should become apparent in short order. And that should allay any reasonable doubt.

Hmmmm ... I'm almost convinced ...

"Serious discussion"?

Ah, crap...

Well, it's not as if the standard is all that high.

It just has to be better conversation than:

"I did not."

"You did too."

"I did not."

"You did too. Why don't you just admit it?"

"I did not."

"Yes you did, and, until you admit it, I'm going to follow you around and demand that you admit it and apologize."

And better than:

"Justify your position."

"I have. Here, and here."

"I'm not going to read those things. Justify your position."

"Read what I wrote."

"No. See? You've got nothing. You're lying. And this is why you're lying."

"I'm sick of this."

'You're sick of trying to justify your claim that Q."

"I never claimed that Q."

"Yes you did."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes you did."

"I'm really sick of this."

"By claiming that Q, you've smeared A, B, and C."

"I never claimed that Q, and I've never smeared A, B, and C!"

"Yes you did. Why don't you just admit it?"

"I've had enough of this."

"Oh? Running away, coward?"

I'm teetering on the brink of deciding that participation on message boards burns up far more time than it's worth

Those of us who have been favorably impacted for years by your message board participation, know that this teetering isn't exactly a new phenomenon. And I'm sure I'm not the only one out here who trembles with fear at the thought that your recent calling might make make a dent in the time you chose to give online. But we hold hope that the addictive properties of online arguing have such a vicelike grip on your psyche, that any attempt you make to sever yourself permanently, will only end up temporary.

Rest assured, that even though the people you converse with haven't budged an inch from where they started, there are hoards of silent spectators that find great value in witnessing the exchange. For me personally, I highly value the rich information and true stories you bring, and I appreciate the way they're often presented.

LM

"I did not."

"You did too."

"I did not."

"I did not."

"Yes you did, and, until you admit it, I'm going to follow you around and demand that you admit it and apologize."

And better than:

"Justify your position."

"Read what I wrote."

"I'm sick of this."

"Yes you did."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes you did."

All I can say is this interaction reminds me of the black knight in Monty Pythons Holy Grail. Prof. Peterson welcome to the board.

QuorumPrez

All I can say is this interaction reminds me of the black knight in Monty Pythons Holy Grail.

Me too. (One of my all-time favorite movie sketches. Bill Hamblin and I have used it a few times in our interactions with critics. It's so eerily appropriate.)

Thanks for having me here. I look forward to seeing how the board evolves.

I post under the name Daniel Peterson, but my real name, off line, is Daniel Peterson.

I'm a professor of Islamic studies and Arabic at Brigham Young University, and I write on Mormon topics from time to time.

I also travel a lot. For example, I'm going to be out of the country pretty much the entire month of September and into October, and pretty furiously busy, so I'm not likely to be too active here in the near and middle term.

I'm teetering on the brink of deciding that participation on message boards burns up far more time than it's worth -- I've just ended a supremely pointless and exasperating stint on a certain well-shaded board that won't be named -- but I like what I think is the concept behind this one: A board where serious discussion can occur that might actually be helpful to some people. If it works, that would be worthwhile.

Great to see you here Dr. Peterson...although I do miss your doughnut avatar. Hope you are able to squeeze in a little time for us on the board. I enjoy your comments.

That looks like Reformed Arabic to me...

Guest HEthePrimate

Howdy, Daniel! Good to see you here.

You're brave enough to go by your own name, but I am a man of many names... DH back at MA&DB.

Take care,

HE the Primate, aka DH, aka 'The Other Daniel'

• 3 weeks later...

Great to have you here professor...have read some of your work...hope that the forum is a good outlet for you and that you are able to help with questions related to your field...

You will be back, sometimes we all need a break and Its not always frustrating, depends on whats going on and whom is

engaged in conversation, Once in awhile they get very interesting and informative too. its always good to check in once

in a while? :blink:

You will be back, sometimes we all need a break and Its not always frustrating, depends on whats going on and whom is

engaged in conversation, Once in awhile they get very interesting and informative too. its always good to check in once

in a while? :blink:

Dan will be back. He is out of the country (limited Net access) until after the 4th of Oct. He is on an extended vacation and will not have access to Email or the net.

Larry P

"I did not."

"You did too."

"I did not."

"I did not."

And better than:

"Justify your position."

"Read what I wrote."

"I'm sick of this."

"Yes you did."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes you did."

Make that about 8 or 10 pages longer, and it'd be right at home at one of the other (non-religous) forums I belong to, concerning ANYTHING religous and/or political :lol: , or a debate which is better:German cars or Japanese cars(it's a Mercedes-Benz forum)

Anywho, good to see a genuine intellectual here :D