The Stickman Thread

zil2

On 10/25/2023 at 1:56 PM, Jamie123 said:

Hmmmm... we'll have to try to think what might liven things up again. What about....(and I'm just tossing this up in the air here)....a competition to draw what we think each other look like? And the best drawing of each has to become their avatar?

(It's probably been thought of already!)

This has not been thought of here (or elsewhere that I know of, but perhaps so on drawing-related forums).  Sounds great, though I can't draw better than a stickman.  But then, after considering, the drawing doesn't have to be a person - just as mine is a fountain pen, other people's could be anthropomorphized objects. :)   The 123 in your user name is now forcing me to imagine you as a keyboard, rotary phone, calculator.  Or perhaps you're prisoner #123, or the 123rd Jamie at the "People Named Jamie Convention"... :D

Edited by zil2

9 hours ago, zil2 said:

The 123 in your user name is now forcing me to imagine you as a keyboard, rotary phone, calculator.  Or perhaps you're prisoner #123, or the 123rd Jamie at the "People Named Jamie Convention"... :D

Sorry to disappoint you but the 123 doesn't mean anything at all. When I made the account, I quickly found that "Jamie" was already taken, so I just added 123 to make it unique.

As for Jamie, it's the diminutive form of James, which is my middle name. It is also an androgynous name, and when I started posting on forums (and later IRC) back in the mid/late 1990s, I wanted a nick which didn't give anything away, including my gender. I don't care anymore: everyone knows I'm Jamie as in "Vardy" and "Oliver" not "Lee Curtis" or "Summers"*. but the name has stuck.

*Although she was spelled "Jaime".

4 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

Sorry to disappoint you but the 123 doesn't mean anything at all. When I made the account, I quickly found that "Jamie" was already taken, so I just added 123 to make it unique.

I assumed that, but since I can't draw a human (other than as a stick person), I thought to take advantage of the 123... :D

Jaime

Since that's a Spanish name, I always read it the Spanish way: HI-may. :)   In order to come close to sounding like Jamie, we need another vowel at the end...

I'm Jamie as in "Vardy" and "Oliver" not "Lee Curtis" or "Summers"*.

I don't know Jaime Summers, but I remember very well Jaime Sommers, the Bionic Woman. She was only ever a knock-off of the incomparable Six-Million-Dollar (such a vast sum of money!) Man, but hey, she was pretty, and I was like, what, thirteen or fourteen? When it came to TV, I was never a picky eater, so I was happy to spend evenings watching her exploits and amazing feats of strength and hearing. (I always thought the bionic hearing thing was a little lame compared with Steve Austin's super-eyesight, but hey, you work with what you got.)

10 minutes ago, Vort said:

Lleimi. Give a good South American flair to that Ll.

LL = Y.  J = H.  I'm confused.  Yay-EE-mee?  (ETA: No, I guess YAY-mee.  It's been a long time.)

Edited by zil2

25 minutes ago, zil2 said:

Since that's a Spanish name, I always read it the Spanish way: HI-may. :)   In order to come close to sounding like Jamie, we need another vowel at the end...

3 minutes ago, Vort said:

I don't know Jaime Summers, but I remember very well Jaime Sommers, the Bionic Woman. She was only ever a knock-off of the incomparable Six-Million-Dollar (such a vast sum of money!) Man, but hey, she was pretty, and I was like, what, thirteen or fourteen? When it came to TV, I was never a picky eater, so I was happy to spend evenings watching her exploits and amazing feats of strength and hearing. (I always thought the bionic hearing thing was a little lame compared with Steve Austin's super-eyesight, but hey, you work with what you got.)

Well OK I misspelt her surname so sue me ;)

At about the same time The Bionic Woman was on, we had a Polaroid "Super Swinger" camera - which produced passably good instant photographs (albeit only in black and white). The thing I remember most vividly was that the girl in the instruction manual...

image.thumb.png.5573540b4026b51671b1a687dfa41e4e.png

...looked exactly like Jaime the Bionic Woman...

Pin by Sexy Celebs on Lindsay Wagner | Bionic woman, Women, Beautiful ...

By the way, "LAND camera" has nothing to do with it only being usable on land. It's the name of the bloke who invented it.

1 hour ago, zil2 said:

LL = Y.  J = H.  I'm confused.  Yay-EE-mee?  (ETA: No, I guess YAY-mee.  It's been a long time.)

Haven't you heard South Americans (and some Mexicans) pronounce "ll" or "y" sounds with something approaching an English "j" sound? Surely you've heard this. "Yo" sounds like "Joe", "yes" sounds like "Jess", and so forth.

1 hour ago, zil2 said:

I have a cousin who, for a long time, dated a Spaniard called Jesus. It was written "Jesus" but it was pronounced something like HEY-ZOOSS.

Not that this is relevant, but in Welsh, LL at the beginning of a word is pronounced something like "CHL" - where "CH" is a gentler version of the noise made by an angry cat. For example Lloyd, sounds something like "Chloyd". 

21 minutes ago, Vort said:

Haven't you heard South Americans (and some Mexicans) pronounce "ll" or "y" sounds with something approaching an English "j" sound? Surely you've heard this. "Yo" sounds like "Joe", "yes" sounds like "Jess", and so forth.

Ah, I've heard Zhoe, not sure I've heard the J.  I'll have to ponder, but yes, I get it now.

17 minutes ago, zil2 said:

Welsh sounds like strangling on your own tongue. :)

Actually I can describe it better than that: Say an L, but just before engaging your vocal chords let the air hiss between your tongue and the roof of your mouth. At least that's how I think it's pronounced. A Welshman would probably hit me over the head with his Davy lamp*.

*The implication being that all Welshmen are coal miners. I'm a racial stereotyping-type person I know. Shame on me!

Edited by Jamie123

6 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

Actually I can describe it better than that: Say an L, but just before engaging your vocal chords let the air hiss between your tongue and the roof of your mouth. At least that's how I think it's pronounced. A Welshman would probably hit me over the head with his Davy lamp*.

*The implication being that all Welshmen are coal miners. I'm a racial stereotyping-type person I know. Shame on me!

Just in case any of our Cymric friends are offended, here's the Red Dragon of Cadwaladr to show I'm really on your side, guys!

The reason Wales has a great big red dragon on its flag - Wales Online

On 10/26/2023 at 1:35 AM, zil2 said:

This has not be thought of here (or elsewhere that I know of, but perhaps so on drawing-related forums).  Sounds great, though I can't draw better than a stickman.  But then, after considering, the drawing doesn't have to be a person - just as mine is a fountain pen, other people's could be anthropomorphized objects. :)   The 123 in your user name is now forcing me to imagine you as a keyboard, rotary phone, calculator.  Or perhaps you're prisoner #123, or the 123rd Jamie at the "People Named Jamie Convention"... :D

OK here is my first attempt to draw you Zil...

Zil.png.0be5e1a3321715961860f191453d9a42.png

Well to be strictly accurate, its the second. The first attempt was just too goofy for words. (Just to be clear, the picture was too goofy for words - not you!)

The spiky hair goes with the "Z". It sounds zippy and zappy - so your hair in the picture is the  same way!

I'll try to do a picture of you too Vort - though you are a bit harder. "Vort" makes me think either of Vortigern (usurper in Welsh legend) or Lord Voldemort (heaven forbid!!!)

Edited by Jamie123

2 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

(Just to be clear, the picture was too goofy for words - not you!)

It's entirely possible that I'm  too goofy for words. :D   Love your drawing.  Would you like to know what you got right / wrong, or do you prefer to maintain the flattering image? :)   (Klaw and the pen are the perfect additions, though.)

2 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

I'll try to do a picture of you too Vort - though you are a bit harder. "Vort" makes me think either of Vortigern (usurper in Welsh legend) or Lord Voldemort (heaven forbid!!!)

Well, there's that Icelandic woman, or a vortex to consider.  Vort's first fountain pen was a charcoal grey Lamy Safari, should you wish to include it...  (No idea if there was a second one.)  Personally, I think he should be using Colorverse Vortex Motion (from their Astrophysics series) as his "signature" ink.  It looks black or dark grey (depending on the pen), but it's actually a dark muted purple with serious green sheen (a metallic silvery green sheen that appears after the ink is dry and may require the paper to be held at the right angle to the light if the pen doesn't put down enough ink to make it easily visible).  From a very wet pen, the ink may actually look like a dark green, but that's the sheen.  Unfortunately, this ink doesn't have very good lubrication (meaning it's not going to make your nib feel smoother than it is) and Colorverse inks are rather expensive, but still, it seems to fit... :)

4 hours ago, zil2 said:

Would you like to know what you got right / wrong, or do you prefer to maintain the flattering image? :)   (Klaw and the pen are the perfect additions, though.)

Thought long and hard about this! I don't really mind, but if we're going to continue this game with other people it might be fun to do it blindly and see where imagination leads! (The reality, though, is always as nice as our imaginings, if a little different!)

On 10/12/2023 at 1:47 PM, NeuroTypical said:

Great.   Now I have to go dig up my daughter's old comic "The adventures of Fabulously Dressed Girl and her faithful sidekick Katt Punchy".  Just to keep up with Vort.

Ping  (or, to quote reddit, "Wow, such empty.")