Christmastime Music/Spiritual Thoughts 2023

SilentOne

1 hour ago, SilentOne said:

there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, Saying, Where is the child that is born, the Messiah of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

This is amazing to me.  We assume these were not Jews.  Were they from dispersed Israel?  It doesn't seem like they were, so why would they care?  As far as we know, only three foreigners (and likely their servants / slaves) came, so it's not like this was common behavior - it seems pretty unique.  How did they know the prophecies of the Jews? And how did they know those prophecies better than the Jews?  Or did they have prophecies from elsewhere? 

Why come to worship?  My impression of the Jews of Christ's day is that those who were expecting a political / military Messiah were prepared to follow him, but not worship him.  It seems their attitude would have been, why worship anyone other than God?  It's as if the Jews had lost all connection between the Messiah and God (obviously, they had purged the idea of a Son of God from their history and prophecies).  But these very wise foreigners know better - even if they don't know he's the Son of God, they know he's someone to worship...

(Of course, maybe it's just a different version of the word "worship", or these guys were just hedging their eternal bets, or curious about a new astronomic event, or something.  But I suspect the rest of this story will be interesting to learn.)

When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.
- Matthew 2:10-11

When the magi received the message of the birth of Jesus Christ, they prepared and brought gifts; they followed a bright new star in the sky to find Him. As we celebrate Christmas today, we need to seek this shining star which leads to the Lord. Then our soul shall be illuminated and shall reflect that we have received the Savior in our life by remaining faithful to Him until the end.
- Pungwe S. Kongolo, True Christmas: See the Spirit of Simplicity, Peace, Love and Generosity

1 hour ago, SilentOne said:

... gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

To pay for the trip to, time in, and trip back from Egypt.  Sometimes I think there really is no such thing as a coincidence.

5 minutes ago, zil2 said:

To pay for the trip to, time in, and trip back from Egypt.  Sometimes I think there really is no such thing as a coincidence.

Gold = When gold was given as a gift, it was usually to royalty. (Recognition as King)

Frankincense = Incense used in the Temple. (Recognition as Spiritual Leader)

Myrrh = Used in embalming. (Recognition that He would die & conquer death for all)

King, God, Savior.

Edited by Carborendum

30 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Gold = When gold was given as a gift, it was usually to royalty. (Recognition as King)

Frankincense = Incense used in the Temple. (Recognition as Spiritual Leader)

Myrrh = Used in embalming. (Recognition that He would die & conquer death for all)

King, God, Savior.

But still, just in time to fund their trip. :)

On 12/14/2023 at 3:12 PM, zil2 said:

As far as we know, only three foreigners (and likely their servants / slaves) came, so it's not like this was common behavior - it seems pretty unique.

We don't even know that there were three of them, any more than we know that they were kings, or that their names were Melchior, Casper and Balthazar. I think the idea that there were 3 comes from the gold, frankincense and mur (can't be bothered to look up the spelling) but we don't know that all of then didn't bring all 3.

When I was in infants school I was in the Nativity play as Mur. I really wanted to be Gold, but they said no I could only be Mur.

P.S. there are so many versions of this joke:

image.png.cc62738215e9dbc49e8b30249fa7821c.png

Edited by Jamie123

13 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

We don't even know that there were three of them, any more than we know that they were kings, or that their names were Melchior, Casper and Balthazar. I think the idea that there were 3 comes from the gold, frankincense and mur (can't be bothered to look up the spelling) but we don't know that all of then didn't bring all 3.

Right!  I forgot that they're not actually numbered in scripture.  Still, however many came, it appears one set from one nation / group of people; not, several sets from several cultures / nations...

15 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

When I was in infants school I was in the Nativity play as Mur. I really wanted to be Gold, but they said no I could only be Mur.

P.S. there are so many versions of this joke:

image.png.cc62738215e9dbc49e8b30249fa7821c.png

:crackup:

And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him. When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt: And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.
- Matthew 2:13-15

You can’t separate Bethlehem from Gethsemane or the hasty flight into Egypt from the slow journey to the summit of Calvary. It’s of one piece. It is a single plan. It considers “the fall and rising again of many in Israel,” but always in that order. Christmas is joyful not because it is a season or decade or lifetime without pain and privation, but precisely because life does hold those moments for us.
- Jeffrey R. Holland

But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a vision to Joseph in Egypt, Saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young child's life. And he arose, and took the young child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel. But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee: And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.
- Matthew 2:19-23

After some time in an unfamiliar land, Joseph and Mary made their longest trip yet. But the miles must have seemed shorter, because this time, they were returning home. Once there, they put their faith in God and raised Him who would “be called a Nazarene.”

Like Mary and Joseph, we too are traveling on our own journey with Jesus Christ. While the going may be long and difficult, every footstep of faith leads us closer to eternal life—a gift provided by our loving Savior, whose own journey made salvation possible.
- Christina Crosland, The First Christmas Journey

2 hours ago, SilentOne said:

that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

And yet, being from Nazareth was one of the reasons people rejected him. How strange.  Perhaps this prophecy wasn't well known.

And it came to pass that Jesus grew up with his brethren, and waxed strong, and waited upon the Lord for the time of his ministry to come. And he served under his father, and he spake not as other men, neither could he be taught; for he needed not that any man should teach him.
- Matthew 3:24-25 JST

Christ “waited upon the Lord for the time of his ministry to come.” Did His waiting mean inaction or the equivalent of just playing video games while waiting for circumstances to come together to make it easy to begin His ministry? At age twelve He urgently said to His mother, after teaching the elders in the temple for three days, “I must be about my Father’s business.” Then He was required to be patient and wait for another eighteen years to begin His critical mortal ministry. Surely this was a difficult, stretching time as He experienced the infirmities that are common to us all. Throughout this learning process He was tutored by the Spirit.

Isaiah taught, “And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord.”  Christ did nothing “but the will of [His] Father.” He waited for His Father’s will and then fulfilled it perfectly. “And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, having lived with his father.” “And after many years, the hour of his ministry drew nigh.”
- Kent F. Richards, Lessons From the Savior's Young Adult Life

For behold, and lo, he shall come, as it is written in the book of the prophets, to take away the sins of the world, and to bring salvation unto the heathen nations, to gather together those who are lost, who are of the sheepfold of Israel; Yea, even the dispersed and afflicted; and also to prepare the way, and make possible the preaching of the gospel unto the Gentiles;
- Luke 3:5-6 JST

The Pearl of Great Price teaches that Moses was shown all the inhabitants of the earth, which were “numberless as the sand upon the sea shore.” If Moses beheld every soul, then it seems reasonable that the Creator of the universe has the power to become intimately acquainted with each of us. He learned about your weaknesses and mine. He experienced your pains and sufferings. He experienced mine. I testify that He knows us. He understands the way in which we deal with temptations. He knows our weaknesses. But more than that, more than just knowing us, He knows how to help us if we come to Him in faith.
- Merrill J. Bateman, A Pattern for All

And to be a light unto all who sit in darkness, unto the uttermost parts of the earth; to bring to pass the resurrection from the dead, and to ascend up on high, to dwell on the right hand of the Father
- Luke 3:7 JST

We can all find ourselves in places of darkness from time to time. We may wander into dark, spiritual caverns when we make foolish choices, admit harmful influences into our lives, or turn away from the light of the gospel to embrace the world just a little longer. It may seem harmless at first—just a little exploring, that’s all. Before we know it, we become separated from the light and left in darkness alone. Why do we remain in darkness when such rescuing light awaits us? Let us bask in the warm and illuminating light provided by the gospel of Jesus Christ. Let the Savior’s kindly light lead us one step at a time. Let covenants and commandments keep us safe as we follow the gospel pathway to our heavenly home.
 - Virginia U. Jensen, Lead, Kindly Light

But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
- Galatians 4:4-5

Brothers and sisters, join with me and behold your God! Behold your God, born as a little child in Bethlehem and wrapped in swaddling clothes. Behold your God, born in poverty and simplicity that He might walk among common people as a common man. Behold your God, even the infinite and eternal Redeemer, the Messiah, veiled in flesh and come to live upon the very earth that He created.
- Bruce D. Porter, A Child is Born

Lift up your hearts and be glad, your redemption draweth nigh. Fear not, little flock, the kingdom is yours until I come. Behold, I come quickly. Even so. Amen.
- Doctrine and Covenants 35:26-27

Before that sacred night in Bethlehem, the events of history and the words of the prophets of all dispensations prepared the way for the first coming of the Lord and His Atonement. Similarly, history and prophecy laid the groundwork for the Restoration of the gospel through the Prophet Joseph Smith. Do we have eyes to see that the events and prophecies of our time are preparing us for the Savior’s Second Coming?

I bear special witness that our Savior Jesus Christ lives. I testify that His hand has been over the work of the Restoration from before the foundation of this world and will continue until His Second Coming.

That each of us will prepare ourselves to greet Him is my humble prayer. In His holy name, even Jesus Christ, amen.
- Robert D. Hales, Preparations for the Restoration and the Second Coming: “My Hand Shall Be over Thee”

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
- John 3:16

I testify that Jesus Christ, whose birth and mission we honor and celebrate, is the light of the world, our Savior and Redeemer, our hope, our anchor, and the author of our salvation. There is such great joy in that knowledge. May we all feel the Savior’s love in abundance this Christmas season, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
- Bonnie L. Oscarson, Christmas Is Christlike Love

Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me.
- Doctrine and Covenants 19:23

Our celebration of Christmas should be a reflection of the love and selflessness taught by the Savior. Giving, not getting, brings to full bloom the Christmas spirit. We feel more kindly one to another. We reach out in love to help those less fortunate. Our hearts are softened. Enemies are forgiven, friends remembered, and God obeyed. The spirit of Christmas illuminates the picture window of the soul, and we look out upon the world’s busy life and become more interested in people than in things. To catch the real meaning of the spirit of Christmas, we need only drop the last syllable, and it becomes the Spirit of Christ.
Thomas S. Monson, The Real Joy of Christmas

Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.
- Psalm 32:11

We bear testimony, as His duly ordained Apostles—that Jesus is the Living Christ, the immortal Son of God. He is the great King Immanuel, who stands today on the right hand of His Father. He is the light, the life, and the hope of the world. His way is the path that leads to happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come. God be thanked for the matchless gift of His divine Son.
- The Living Christ