Family Fun Idea for Easter

Jamie123

As you know, Easter Sunday this year falls on April Fool's day.

So here's the idea. Whereas normally, on the Saturday night before Easter Sunday, you put on your Easter Bunny outfit (real or metaphorical) and hide chocolate eggs all over the house for the kids to search for on Easter morning, this time... you don't. Then in the morning, after the kids have searched fruitlessly for about an hour, you shout "April Fool!"

Not only will your kids find this a "delightfully amusing" prank, you'll save money on Easter eggs too!

Dang.  You got my hopes up, but in the US, Easter Sunday is March 31, while April Fools day is April 1. 

Furiously googling, I realize there's a lot I don't know about Easter.  Astronomical Easter, Gregorian Easter, and Julian Easter?  Are Americans Gregorian Easter celebrators?  If so, we'll have to wait until 2029 for an Easter on April Fool's day.

Honestly, that will test my ability to prioritize important things.  My often-irreverent sense of humor should take 2nd place to celebrating the birth of my Savior.  I will be challenged more than usual.

3 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Dang.  You got my hopes up, but in the US, Easter Sunday is March 31, while April Fools day is April 1. 

Furiously googling, I realize there's a lot I don't know about Easter.  Astronomical Easter, Gregorian Easter, and Julian Easter?  Are Americans Gregorian Easter celebrators?  If so, we'll have to wait until 2029 for an Easter on April Fool's day.

Honestly, that will test my ability to prioritize important things.  My often-irreverent sense of humor should take 2nd place to celebrating the birth of my Savior.  I will be challenged more than usual.

You're absolutely right. A friend told me it was April 1, and I believed her. Now I look in my diary I see that April Fool's Day is actually Easter Monday.

No worries though. Some families have a tradition of MORE eggs on Easter Monday - so play the "jolly jape" then!. 

Indeed, ChatGPT cannot count except in the most rudimentary way, and appears to have no consistent notion of what a syllable is. It seems capable of doing only very simple arithmetic. Anything more than that, it can answer if it can look up the answer, but it is not capable of actually doing math (in the sense of reliably following the algorithms we usually follow). It is most definitely not Wolfram Alpha. Ask it for the integral or derivative of ex and you will get the right answer. But ask it something harder, such as the value at x=0 of the nth derivative of a function f(x) where f(x) = (xn)(en) and ChatGPT can't do it. It tries to, and apparently it thinks* it can, but it can't:

*Yes, I'm fully aware that AIs don't think. This is just the easiest way to express the idea.

*******************start********************

User
Calculate (f^n)(x) [the nth derivative of f(x)] for f(x) = xnen at x = 0.

ChatGPT
To find the nth derivative of f(x) = xn, let's first differentiate f(x) repeatedly with respect to x:

f(x) = xnen

f'(x) = n(xn-1)(en) + (xn)(0) - n(xn-1)(en)

f''(x) = n(n-1)(xn-2)(en) + n(xn)(0) - n(n-1)(xn-2)(en)

f'''(x) = n(n-1)(n-2)(xn-3)(en) + n(xn-1)(0) - n(n-1)(n-2)(xn-3)(en)

fk(x) = n(n-1)(xn-2) . . . (n-k+1)(xn-k(en)

From this pattern, we observe that the nth derivative will be n!(xn-n)en - n!en.

Now, evaluating this at x=0, we get:

fn(0) = n! en

So, the nth derivative of f(x) = xnen at x=0 is n! en.

User
The actual answer is f(x) = xnen at x=0 is n!, not n! en.

ChatGPT
You're absolutely correct, and I apologize for the oversight. When evaluating f(x) = xnen at x = 0, it simplifies to 0nen for any value of n other than 0.

Thank you for pointing out the error. So, the nth derivative of f(x) = xnen at x = 0 is indeed n!.

*******************end********************

Now, this problem has some thorny issues that befuddle normal people such as Yours Truly, like figuring out how to deal with xn at x=0 when n=0 (so that you would get 00 with a naive substitution, a result that gives normal people brain cramps). So the AI got reasonably close, and I can't fault its effort. But why should that be? Why should it be "close, kinda, when you think about it" instead of simply "correct"? This is a computer, for heaven's sake. And despite how White Imperialism Racist math is, there is actually a correct answer.

Here's a conversation I just had with ChatGPT:

*******************start********************

User
Solve for f: f'(x) = ef

ChatGPT
The equation

f'(x) = ef

is a first-order ordinary differential equation.

This equation is separable, meaning we can rewrite it in a way that allows us to separate variables and then integrate both sides:

df/dx = ef

We can rewrite this as:

df/ef  =dx

Now, we integrate both sides:

∫(1/ef)df = ∫dx

The integral of ∫[1/ef]df with respect to f can be solved by substitution. Let u = ef , then du = ef df, which transforms the integral into:

∫(1/u)du = ln∣u∣+C

Substituting back u=ef, we get:

ln∣ef∣+C = f+C

Integrating the right-hand side with respect to x gives x+C1 , where C1 is another constant.

So, the general solution to the differential equation is:

f(x) = ln|ef| + C1 = ln|eC| + C1 = C + C1

where C and C1 are constants.

User
Look at your answer above. You assert that ln |ef|+C=f+C. (Note that the absolute value sign is unnecessary if f is assumed to be a function in the real range R, because ef is in R for all f in R.) Subtracting C from both sides simplifies the equation to ln(ef)=f. What is the solution to this equation, f(x) = ln(ef)?

ChatGPT
You're correct. Apologies for the oversight.

The equation simplifies to ln(ef) = f. Since log ex = x for any real number x, we have:

f = f(x)

Thus, the solution to the equation f'(x) = ef is simply f(x) = ex.

User
Not so. Consider x=C. Then f(x) = f(C) = 0, but eC <> 0 for all real C.

ChatGPT
You're correct again. My apologies for the oversight. Let's correct that.

Given the equation f'(x) = ef, we have:

ln(ef) = f

ef = ex

Then, taking the exponential of both sides, we get:

f = ex

So the solution to the equation f′(x)=ef is indeed f(x) = ex. Thank you for your patience and pointing out the mistake.

*******************end********************

The moral of this story is that there is a reason it's called ChatGPT and not MathGPT or IntegrationGPT or SyllableCounterGPT. ChatGPT doesn't have any idea what it's "doing". ChatGPT is a language model, and a very cool one. But it does not go beyond mechanical pattern matching.

Note how the explanation above sounds kind of like what you might expect to hear from a first-year differential equations student who wasn't really up on his calculus (especially integration, essentially meaning that he was planning on failing the DiffEq course; but I digress). It uses words and terminology correctly; it just doesn't get the right answer, even when prompted with hints, and has no idea how to go about getting the right answer. In the end, it confidently asserts that the solution to f′(x)=ef was f(x)=ex, which is easily shown false merely by substituting the proposed solution back into the original equation. (f'(x) = ex = ee^x ⟹ x = ex; yeah, no, not as a general solution, and not at all with Real numbers.) It can't follow a mathematical algorithm per se, because it is not programmed to find and follow mathematical algorithms. It is a language model. That's all.

So as long as you stay in soft and squishy areas, like literary analysis or how you feel about things, ChatGPT sounds remarkably real, even wise. But when you start into areas where the respondent needs to understand what he's talking about and not just parrot a book or synthesize a body of literature, you will quickly expose that ChatGPT doesn't have a chance of passing the Turing test.

As AIs get more sophisticated, I expect that it will become harder to distinguish their responses from those of an actual person. (For example, today it's pretty obvious when you're reading AI-generated filler text, but that might not be the case in five or ten years.) But I think there's a fundamental barrier here that will not be overcome by simple programmatic improvements.

My bigger fear is that our children will start adapting themselves, their expectation, and their own performance to that of the AI models. That would be tragic and wholly unacceptable, a real case of the tail wagging the dog. Though come to think of it, mankind has always been remodeled by its tools. This was one of the themes of Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

(Didja like my lit analysis reference? I though it was very ChatGPT of me.)

Edited by Vort
Typos, typos everywhere!

There's a TikTok channel for ChatGPT shaming.   Apparently it has a difficult time creating an image of a Big Mac without pickles or lettuce.  

It knows all about pickles and can make pictures of them all day long.  Same with lettuce.  But the only thing it knows about Big Macs are all the billions of images out there of one, and they all have pickles and lettuce.   It has no issues creating an image of a plain hamburger.

On 2/10/2024 at 8:49 PM, Vort said:

Yes, I'm fully aware that AIs don't think. This is just the easiest way to express the idea.

Do we really know what "thinking" actually is? Or do we only think we know? 😆

There was a movie years ago about a computer that could "think". I forget what it was called, but Julie Christie was in it. (Nowhere in the movie was the term "think" actually defined, so that tas a bit unsatisfying. How can you know whether a machine can think unless you can define precisely what thinking actually is? In the novel of "2001 a Space Odyssey", Clarke used Turing's definition - but this never convinced me even when I first read the book at 14.) Anyway the computer somehow imprisons Julie Christie in her home and finds a way to impregnate her with its "child" - so it can make the transition to become a living being.

Perhaps the true concept of "thinking" implies the capacity of self determination, of an entity choosing its own goals for its own purposes, beyond what was intended by its programmers. Of course computers do unexpected things all the time (like making money from post office branches disappear) but that is usually the result of programmer error, not any independent agenda of the computer itself. Could "agency" (for want of a better word) ever arise in a system built upon logic gates? Or does there need to be something else?

I've just looked it up - the movie was called "Demon Seed".