Finnish

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Actually, the most highly trained dogs in the world are trained to respond to commands in Dutch.

Is that what they speak in Grease?

Dutch is a German dialect, as is Philadelphian/eastern Pennsylvanian. So I'd say yes. But that's the movie; the original musical was set in Chicago, and I don't think they actually speak English there.

10 minutes ago, Vort said:

Dutch is a German dialect

I don't know if I'd call it a dialect.  For that matter, I'm not certain that everyone uses the same definition of the word "dialect."  So, I'm not even sure what this means.

My German cousin said that the Dutch can understand German.  But the Germans can't understand Dutch.  Then I heard that the Dutch are also taught German in Schools.  But the converse is not true.

All hearsay.  And I've found that my cousin is not all that reliable.  I even asked what my surname means in German.  She said, "It's just a name."   I guess she doesn't realize that even proper nouns have an origin.

Meh.

3 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Not sure - that is all Greak to me.

OK, OK, OK, already. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 6:15 PM, Carborendum said:

My German cousin said that the Dutch can understand German.  But the Germans can't understand Dutch.  Then I heard that the Dutch are also taught German in Schools.  But the converse is not true.

I don't know, but I suspect that a German trying to read Dutch is rather like an Englishman (or an American) trying to understand Robbie Burns.

Upon that night, when fairies light
On Cassilis Downans dance,
Or owre the lays, in splendid blaze,
On sprightly coursers prance;
Or for Colean the rout is ta’en,
Beneath the moon’s pale beams;
There, up the Cove, to stray an’ rove,
Amang the rocks and streams
To sport that night …

Edited by Jamie123

2 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

an American) trying to understand Robbie Burns.

Do you know the TV series Parks and Rec, and the character Ron Swanson?  He's the stereotype of the Red Blooded American Patriot.  He got suckered into going on a trip to Europe, which to him was going deep into enemy territory.  (His reaction to the first half of his trip is in the first half of this YouTube clip.)

His friend Leslie Knope made him promise to follow a certain itinerary, to help him appreciate Europe: 

Posted (edited)

Ye Pow’rs wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o’ fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies;
But, if ye wish her gratefu’ prayer,
Gie her a Haggis!

image.png.661b1646d19f9f945463705a5566bef7.png

Everyone should try haggis. If you don't know what goes into haggis, don't look it up until you have eaten some. If you knew you wouldn't ever taste it, and once you have tasted it you won't care.

Edited by Jamie123

5 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Do you know the TV series Parks and Rec, and the character Ron Swanson?  He's the stereotype of the Red Blooded American Patriot.  He got suckered into going on a trip to Europe, which to him was going deep into enemy territory.  (His reaction to the first half of his trip is in the first half of this YouTube clip.)

His friend Leslie Knope made him promise to follow a certain itinerary, to help him appreciate Europe: 

He's a man of good taste.

20191218_200615.thumb.jpg.88a5bcfe048fdd510e190797b0386545.jpg

6 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

image.png.661b1646d19f9f945463705a5566bef7.png

Everyone should try haggis. If you don't know what goes into haggis, don't look it up until you have eaten some. If you knew you wouldn't ever taste it, and once you have tasted it you won't care.

Don't be so sure. There's parts of Appalachia where scrapple is a kitchen staple.