Even if I wanted to be a Member it will never happen...

kona0197

Kona, do you live in a small town or something? Sounds like the place is economically wack. It would be impossible to live in my area under $12 an hour.

I know everyone is telling you to quit your job and you don't want to because you enjoy it, but what this comes down to is the wife or the job. Do you want this woman bad enough to ditch wally world and go big or are you feeling this job so much that you'll pass on the wedding bells?

It's a decision that only you can make.

-a-train

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I really wonder about people who say that a job that makes you happy is what matters most. :huh:

To quote other; "Some say money is the evil, money is the root of all that kills. Well I say they have never had the joys of a welfare christmas."

And sure," money wont buy you happieness, but it does by most of the things that make you happy"

Since when has our job become subject to our desire to please ourself? Work is work and play is play. Do you guys seek "fun" jobs because you spend most of your day at it? Well get a job that affords more play time!

Good point Adeipho, although I ended up being in construction because nothing in college simply appealed to me. I studied math, chemistry, law, and more thinking I might be a professor, a pharmacist, a lawyer or an engineer. I just couldn't do it despite my fascination in those fields.

Not until I found construction did I discover my talent. I've always been good at working with my hands, building things and doing an exceptional job. My self esteem comes from being able to contribute to society, enjoying the process and making as much money to provide for my family as possible. The "work" came in when I went into business for myself to try and make top dollar, not for the sake of loving money, but for improving my ability to prosper and prepare for retirement. It's still a tremendous struggle, but if I was doing this as a pharmacist or something else, I might have been coming home a different and possibly disgruntled/bitter/resentful man. Who knows?

And I don't buy that you only get $10 a month. And HUD will pay your rent if you make so little. I have a business partner who rent's HUD out of one of his properties.

kona lives in Oregon- You better believe he only gets $10.00 a month food stamps. If he made less per month, then he could get a bit more. I know, been there, got that. What I think stinks about the food stamps is you can not purchase toilet paper, deoderant, soaps. Only food. For me, it was quite the challange to find money to purchase those very needed items.

The state used to give out food commodoties at one time, along with the food stamps. Federal issued rice, cheese, butter,rolled oats, etc. Can't remember if Oregon did this or not past the year 2000.

Ugh...wish the Social Security rules were different and more family friendly.

The Church can help.

-a-train

Sorry. I've never had much faith and nothing but bad luck keeping a roof over my head. If I have to choose I'll have faith in myself to survive.

Just looking over past emails I realize that if she had social security based on her own income then they care not if we get married. Currently her benefits are based on her dad's income. I guess we need to re-apply.

I am sure that willajke a difference. They can not take away a ss just because you earn... soooo much! :eek:

I am sure this will turn out ok. Kona DONT give up! Go to church. I know how you feel... alone and out of place.. I felt that too, as a member. That is something no one can help with. My feelings were because of my ex was not a member ... I HATED it, I hated beeing a woman without a man in the church, not singel, not devorced... but someone who really has no place in teh Church, with a man who was not a member.... and quess what my DH got himself in a mess and there I was again in a situation I hated most... and alone. But things change.

We had a man in our ward, he attended with his wife untill their kids went to mission, then he become a member... it was a BIG party! (not literally) We were so happy for him. It is ok to attend even though you are not a member!

kona lives in Oregon- You better believe he only gets $10.00 a month food stamps. If he made less per month, then he could get a bit more. I know, been there, got that. What I think stinks about the food stamps is you can not purchase toilet paper, deoderant, soaps. Only food. For me, it was quite the challange to find money to purchase those very needed items.

The state used to give out food commodoties at one time, along with the food stamps. Federal issued rice, cheese, butter,rolled oats, etc. Can't remember if Oregon did this or not past the year 2000.

Well, I suggest you all move to Texas! I've been reading up due to this thread and there you can get up to $400 a month food stamps making $18 an hour with 4 kids. With 1 kid and making $7 an hour you can get $300. Viva la Texas!!

We dont have Church aid here or stamps. Besides my husband is on pension so we would not ricieve anything anywhere.. even though his income here is not enough for living in this country...

In some places these days and people over certain age, can just be happy to HAVE a job to go to! Well I dont from August....

So true. Americans only work if we enjoy it, while millions are coming here to scrub toilets, harvest tobacco, and do anything they possibly can to make a buck. A thankful attitude is much needed.

-a-train

It is ok to attend even though you are not a member!

I have heard of men attending as non-members with their wives and even holding callings in the scouting program.

I like the approach of making Kona feel welcome at Church without having to change him. He knows the problems he is up against. He needs support and fellowship.

Kona, do you live in a small town or something? Sounds like the place is economically wack. It would be impossible to live in my area under $12 an hour.

I know everyone is telling you to quit your job and you don't want to because you enjoy it, but what this comes down to is the wife or the job. Do you want this woman bad enough to ditch wally world and go big or are you feeling this job so much that you'll pass on the wedding bells?

It's a decision that only you can make.

-a-train

Yes we live in a small town. Walmart or Lowe's is as big as you can get. We live fine off of 8 an hour provided I get 35 hours a week - something that hasn't been happening lately due to this is the retailers slow time. With the price of gas as high as it is I can not afford to fed the car to take a job in another town.

So it's NOT a choice between Walmart or the girlfriend.

It's great that you enjoy your work. I worked for 21 years in a job I hated but it paid the bills. I used to envy people who enjoyed their work.

Am I correct in assuming that you work part time? Is it possible that you could do something else with the rest of your time?

I refuse to work 2 jobs. I enjoy my time off at home way to much. Besides I have sleep apnea as well and if I had 2 jobs that would kill me. Hours will pick up at Walmart no worries.

Well, I suggest you all move to Texas! I've been reading up due to this thread and there you can get up to $400 a month food stamps making $18 an hour with 4 kids. With 1 kid and making $7 an hour you can get $300. Viva la Texas!!

NO thanks. Been there. Done that. :)

I have heard of men attending as non-members with their wives and even holding callings in the scouting program.

I like the approach of making Kona feel welcome at Church without having to change him. He knows the problems he is up against. He needs support and fellowship.

Exactly...

Kona, here is one more option you might have considered already. You and your girlfriend could get roommates, stop living together, she wouldn't lose her SS money, and you would be able to join the church if you really wanted to. Then hopefully you could work out a solution for getting married eventually. :)

Yes we live in a small town. Walmart or Lowe's is as big as you can get. We live fine off of 8 an hour provided I get 35 hours a week - something that hasn't been happening lately due to this is the retailers slow time. With the price of gas as high as it is I can not afford to fed the car to take a job in another town.

So it's NOT a choice between Walmart or the girlfriend.

Man, you may have to move. Sounds more like a place to retire than to work. If you are going to marry and have kids, you'll need some real income.

God bless you.

-a-train

I'm glad I'm not LDS all you all do is try to get him to church when he said he doesn't weant to loose his job etc.

I completely understand. My brother had a brain injury 5 years back and is on ss. He will loose when he is married to his girlfriend.

Not one person here in this thead has attempted to get Kona to go to church. All of our efforts have been aimed at pounding into his thick skull that if he wants to he can do WHATEVER he desires. He said he is interested in the LDS church but fears loosing SS money for his girlfriend. I believe it show's his sincere love and care for her, however I believe he can have his desire and not hurt his girlfriend with the right ammount of effort and hard work. Try reading the thread before posting nonsense like this.

PS Hi we have not met. I'm Adeipho and I am SUPER glad to meet you! Hope to talk to you again!!

Kona, I'm curious. What is your absolute dream job? If you could live anywhere, where would you live? What are some other things you would love to do?

I would like to open a bike shop but combine it with a computer shop. I would stay where I'm at - this is home and where my family has it's roots.

Man, you may have to move. Sounds more like a place to retire than to work. If you are going to marry and have kids, you'll need some real income.

God bless you.

-a-train

No thanks. I'm not moving. And I doubt we are having any kids as she is unable to. If you lived here you would not move either.

Not one person here in this thead has attempted to get Kona to go to church. All of our efforts have been aimed at pounding into his thick skull that if he wants to he can do WHATEVER he desires. He said he is interested in the LDS church but fears loosing SS money for his girlfriend. I believe it show's his sincere love and care for her, however I believe he can have his desire and not hurt his girlfriend with the right ammount of effort and hard work. Try reading the thread before posting nonsense like this.

PS Hi we have not met. I'm Adeipho and I am SUPER glad to meet you! Hope to talk to you again!!

Thank you.

I would like to open a bike shop but combine it with a computer shop. I would stay where I'm at - this is home and where my family has it's roots.

Cool! Is your area touristy? I went with some friends one time to Seattle and we rented tandem bikes, then rode around Greenlake. That's one of my favorite memories. I was kind of mad my friend in front kept running me into trees though. :D She had no concept of how it was important to not cut corners while steering an extra long bike.

I hope you get to do that! My sister-in-law's dream is to run a bed and breakfast on the coast in Oregon. I love hearing about people's dreams.