Movie Reviews

MorningStar

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you have kids a great site is Dove Family Approved Videos, DVDs and Movies they do very detailed reviews. we've had a hard time finding movies that are age appropriate for our kids, and we could all enjoy as a family. i went there the other day and look at their out on video only reviews.

we ended up renting George and the Dragon. kids loved it. there is a lot out there that doesn't hit theators that is very good. another one the whole family liked was Meeshe (i think that's spelled right).

"Cloverfield" is quite possible the second best film of its genre (faux cinéma vérité).

The only thing I didn't find believable was the main female character waiting until the last twenty minutes of the film to take off her five-inch high heels. If the American "Godzilla" was filmed in such a way, it would have been perfect.

Best recent movie I have seen is Game Plan with the Rock. We really enjoyed the movie and its a wonderful family film. Next most recent was a pleasant surprise with Bee Movie which was just far above my expectations as I figured it would be just ok.

Not a movie but a TV show we have gotten hooked on is Corner Gas. Its really funny and other than the one guys dad that calls everyone a Donkey, the show is rather clean.

Not seen Juno but heard mixed reviews on it.

I am Legend was a total let down to me. Each to their own I guess, but it was not something I enjoyed. We tend to enjoy more light hearted and/or uplifting stories like the last movie Smith was in with Pursuit of Happiness.

• 3 weeks later...

We recently watched 'Suits On The Loose". This movie was hilarious and touching at the same time. It was especially funny because our good friends just sent their son out on a misison (Brazil)! It kept us wondering if he would get himself into any of the predicaments that the missionaries in the movie got themselves into! Clean movie you won't feel bad laughing about.

Finally, the 2007 movie starring Smith haphazardly has Neville cause the pandemic.

Correction - the pandemic is caused by a genetically engineered virus mutating. The opening credits show an interview with a lady who engineered the virus to cure cancer - which it does. Then it mutates into the nasty virus, and Neville is a military virologist trying to find a cure.

LM

Now that I'm halfway through the third Golden Compass book, I find myself quite enjoying arguing with people about their reaction to the movie. Feel free to ignore me if you're not looking for an argument.

Not sure if Golden Compass is out on video but since it is based on books promoting atheism I think I'd let my kids watch "Planet Terror" instead.

Just out of curiosity, did you let your kids see/read any of the Harry Potter movies/books? They are absolutely chock full of athiesm from start to finish. Absolutely no mention of a higher power whatsoever, it's not good vs. evil, but good vs bad, and there is no ultimate source of morality other than what people find for themselves.

Anyone see "28 Weeks Later"? Just wondering if it is any good.

I'm a fan of such movies, although I probably shouldn't be. It was like 28 days later, with as much additional traumatic pathos they could cram in. If you liked the first one, you'll like the second.

LM

I haven't let my kids see Golden Compass. I was told Nicole Kidman shows a little skin. Is that true?

Nothing more than she's showing on the preview. It does have some very violent scenes - especially the bear fight. We didn't take our girls (7 and 4) to it for this reason.

The athiest supporters of Pullman's books were very upset at this movie because it watered down the religious aspect of the book. I'd have to agree with them, the bad guys were less than two-dimensional.

Kids In Mind gives it a 1-6-2 on their scale of 1-10 for sex-violence-profanity.

LM

Guest HEthePrimate

Question for you Juno viewers:

Whether you liked it or not, what do you think about it's value for teaching girls why you don't wanna get pregnant as a teenager? From what I understand, it has a pro-life message, but does it have a "hey, everything ended up fine, go for it girls" message too?

--

I also liked the Golden Compass. Because even though the bad guys were less than two-dimensional, the characters and setting was new, and the special effects were outstanding.

I'm most of the way through the 2nd book, and the 3rd one is on it's way to me.

LM

I saw Juno and loved it. IMO, the message it sends is that the consequences of sex are complicated and not to be entered into lightly. I got the impression the girl had sex more or less on a whim, but didn't really think about what would happen later, either in terms of how to deal with the pregnancy or how it would affect her boyfriend. The rest of the movie showed some of the complications. I liked that the movie didn't make light of sex, but didn't go into hysterics and condemn the girl to eternal damnation, either.

I like the Golden Compass, both the books and the movie. However, I agree that the characters are not complex and "real" enough. Pullman's ideas on religion are also rather superficial, but the books are worth reading anyway.

One movie I watched last week on DVD was quite good. It's an Indian movie called Water about a little girl who was married at the age of seven, and her husband died shortly thereafter. She had never actually met her husband, so she seemed puzzled as to why she should act all sad when he died. Anyway, as was the custom, as a widow she had to go live in an ashram, a house where widows live apart from the rest of society, for the rest of her life, even though she was only seven years old. Apparently widows are not supposed to remarry according to Hindu custom. The movie was so controversial in India that extremists used death threats, arson, and riots to try to stop production of the movie! But don't worry, it wouldn't be controversial to your average LDS person in America. ;)

Guest HEthePrimate

Now that I'm halfway through the third Golden Compass book, I find myself quite enjoying arguing with people about their reaction to the movie. Feel free to ignore me if you're not looking for an argument.Just out of curiosity, did you let your kids see/read any of the Harry Potter movies/books? They are absolutely chock full of athiesm from start to finish. Absolutely no mention of a higher power whatsoever, it's not good vs. evil, but good vs bad, and there is no ultimate source of morality other than what people find for themselves.

LM

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. The Harry Potter books do not contain atheism. Atheists actively disbelieve the existence of God. The HP books do not argue against God. Agnostics do not know whether or not there is a God. The question simply isn't brought up in Harry Potter. The fact a higher power is not mentioned in a book does not make it atheistic. If it did, my Fanny Farmer Cookbook is chock full of atheism, as is Winnie the Pooh.

Philip Pullman actively preaches against religion. He is a true atheist, and it comes out in his books, especially the third one. But they're still fun books to read, and I recommend them to anyone who won't freak out because of the atheism.

DH

Cool - an opportunity to discuss Pullman with someone who has actually read his stuff! I'm excited.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. The Harry Potter books do not contain atheism. Atheists actively disbelieve the existence of God. The HP books do not argue against God.

Well, do you have to put 'there is no God' clearly in text in order to argue against his existence? The world Rowlings created is completely devoid of any sort of higher power, or ultimate source of morality. Power exists without any sort of responsibility other than what the powerful adopt themselves. Evil doesn't exist in that world - just really, really bad guys who are better at being bad than anyone else. Surely, Rowlings isn't attempting to overtly advance an athiest agenda, but from where I'm standing, her world presents an athiestic/agnostic viewpoint because the ultimate source of the definitions of right and wrong lie in the mortal characters.

The fact a higher power is not mentioned in a book does not make it atheistic. If it did, my Fanny Farmer Cookbook is chock full of atheism, as is Winnie the Pooh.

The Author of Winnie the Pooh argues for the existence of God here, as well in another poem I can't find online where little Elizabeth Ann goes on a quest to find "where God began".

Fanny Farmer, of course, is just as big a Godless heathen as the autor of Linux for Dummies!!! :)

Philip Pullman actively preaches against religion. He is a true atheist, and it comes out in his books, especially the third one. But they're still fun books to read, and I recommend them to anyone who won't freak out because of the atheism.

I'm only halfway through the third book - so no spoilers please! I can't wait to see what the relationship is between Dust and the Authority. But I must admit, Pullman perplexes me. His athiest world involves souls and an afterlife? I've met enough deist folks to know that just because you think all religion is evil, doesn't mean you are against the notion of God. I'm enjoying his books.

LM

I'm only halfway through the third book.....

Every time I see that word, I think someone is talking to me! HA! :)

These comments are really making me want to read the books!

I loved the HP series. And the movies too. So perfectly cast....except the new Dumbledore. Hmmm... they should have called me first! Didn't find the "god" thing even an issue. Didn't cross my mind! Loved the adventure and fantasy and especially the twins! JK is certainly a talent! Although, I must say that they way it all ended was a little too sad for me! Don't think I recovered after the loss of Dumbledore. Serious Black was hard enough! But at least Ginny got her man! :)

I saw Ironman when it came out. Two thumbs up! Finally a good movie worthy of its instant blockbuster status. Very well written, good dialog, script, effects, good acting, and more. It was really just a fun movie to watch. 'Course I've been a fan since the comic book of the '80's.

Skale--- Thanks for the review on Ironman we are going to purchase it as soon a it's out on DVD

we rarely go to movies, our kids may go once a month, we usually wait for DVD by then we usually have a good idea about the worth......

We live in the mountains and are about 50 miles from town so a run to the mall etc is a day event.

RDJr is the main actor. Ironic that he was chosen to portray the fictional comic book character, Tony Stark, billionaire industrialist, who endured personal struggles including alcoholism. RDJr really did an excellent job filling the role (although there was no hint of the alcoholism, etc portrayed in the movie).

Anyone see "Sweeney Todd"? Saw it the other day -- interesting concept...a musical about a seriel killer.

I have loved Sweeney Todd for decades, and was excited to see what Johnny could do.

Except for one major flaw, I thought he was incredible. I thought his singing was a great surprise.

However, the pivotal song in the musical is "Epiphany." Johnny hit the furious parts just fine, but where he sings of his agony knowing he would never see "my Lucy" or "hold his girl again," Johnny did not capture the anguish. This is a MAJOR flaw in the movie.

I have no sound right now, so I can't hear this Youtube. But George Hearn is the only person I've ever heard capture the heartbreak that makes the song work.

YouTube - George Hearn - "Epiphany"

I am still conflicted about Bonham-Carter. I know Burton intentionally made Sweeney very dark. But Mrs. Lovett is usually a bit comical, and I missed that.

Also read that Jonney Depp is going to play Barnabas Collins in a movie based on "Dark Shadows".

Oh, my.

Johnny still gets me all twitterpated.

Elphaba