Purpose of a body

Guest tomk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the purpose of an exalted body, except to have spirit children?

What are the other reasons for having one?

Hmmm... I'm not sure that's one I would list, myslef. To answer your question, though, I profer only one:

To enable one to act authoritatively (ie, with power), in all spheres of existence.

HiJolly

The main reason we have entered into mortality is to gain a physical body. Gaining a physical body is the way to fulness of joy, like our Heavenly Father enjoys.

For man is spirit. The elements are eternal, and spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy; And when separated, man cannot receive a fulness of joy. The elements are the tabernacle of God; yea, man is the tabernacle of God, even temples; and whatsoever temple is defiled, God shall destroy that temple. (D&C 93:33-35)

Regards,

Vanhin

Guest tomk

The main reason we have entered into mortality is to gain a physical body. Gaining a physical body is the way to fulness of joy, like our Heavenly Father enjoys.

For man is spirit. The elements are eternal, and spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy; And when separated, man cannot receive a fulness of joy. The elements are the tabernacle of God; yea, man is the tabernacle of God, even temples; and whatsoever temple is defiled, God shall destroy that temple. (D&C 93:33-35)

Regards,

Vanhin

See the bolded text.

Why? Why a fullness of joy once combined?

Good afternoon tomk! If I may, I would like to share with you my understanding of this question. What I present will be a somewhat philosophical answer, although I do not think that it conflicts with anything that is doctrinal.

First, let me quote a couple of scriptures as a foundation for my response. I will also number them for easier reference. Please, consider the following:

1. "For man is spirit. The elements are eternal, and spirit and element, inseparably connected, receive a fulness of joy; And when separated, man cannot receive a fulness of joy" (D&C 93:33-34).

2. "The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth" (D&C 93:36).

3. "...f there be two spirits, and one shall be more intellgient than the other, yet these two spirits, notwithstanding one is more intelligent than the other, have no beginning; they existed before, they shall have no end, they shall exist after, for they are gnolaum, or eternal" (Abr. 3:18).

Now, the first scripture pretty much teaches us that in order for us to have a fullness of joy, our spirits and our bodies must be inseparably connected. This does tell us the reason for our bodies. However, it doesn't explain why does having a fulness of joy require that both spirit and body be inseparably connected. In an attempt to answer this question, I will share with you my philosophical musings.

We also learn from the first scripture that "the elements are eternal". The elements in this case is speaking to the material our physical bodies are made of: matter. Matter, is eternal. In the third scripture we learn that spirits are eternal. This is the other component of which we are made. So, both spirit and matter are eternal.

Here, then, is my argument. If spirit and matter are eternal, then they are truths. Not just truths, but eternal truths. Eternal truth is what actually is and exist independently. In other words, it is absolutely real and is not contingent upon anything. I would now have you turn your attention to scripture 2 that I referenced. It states that God's glory is light and truth. God, as we know, has all light and truth and because of this He has a fulness of joy. Because matter is truth and if we are to attain a fulness of joy we must have all truth, we must have a physical body. Without a physical body, we would not have all truth, hence we could not have a fulness of joy. As beings who are working towards exaltation, we must have or posess all truth, else we will be lacking something and if lacking in truth, we will not have a fulness of joy.

In any case, these are some of the things I have thought about when thinking about this question. I hope that you have enjoyed reading my post and that it has been edifying and helpful. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to share my thoughts and opinions with you.

Regards,

Finrock

Guest tomk

Finrock:

Neat thoughts.

So what "truth" resides in or through our bodies?

I've been told, by others, that I am having a SPIRITUAL experience down here, not a physical one.

In other words, it is not my body that feels pain, it is my spirit.

It is not my body that feels pleasure, it is my spirit.

It is not my body that tastes sour or sweet it is my spirit.

yet -- without the body -- my spirit could not have these enjoyments (fullness of joy).

What are your thoughts?

Finrock:

Neat thoughts.

So what "truth" resides in or through our bodies?

Matter, which is what our physical bodies are composed of, is truth. Our bodies, by nature, are truth. Element, if eternal, is a component of reality. You can not have reality if there is no matter.

I've been told, by others, that I am having a SPIRITUAL experience down here, not a physical one.

In other words, it is not my body that feels pain, it is my spirit.

It is not my body that feels pleasure, it is my spirit.

It is not my body that tastes sour or sweet it is my spirit.

yet -- without the body -- my spirit could not have these enjoyments (fullness of joy).

What are your thoughts?

I would say that our experience here isn't solely a spiritual experience, but it is a physical one as well. Our experiences as spirit beings in pre-mortal existence was limited, hence the reason why Heavenly Father designed the Plan of Salvation. Our progression would be limited without our physical bodies. We could not learn or understand many components of reality without our physical bodies.

Regards,

Finrock

We knew nothing of the 5 senses?

I do not know. I have considered this before, but I have no hypothesis to offer. I have also found nothing in scripture that would give me even a kernel to start speculating on.

I am sorry I cannot offer anything more substantive.

Regards,

Finrock

Guest tomk

I do not know. I have considered this before, but I have no hypothesis to offer. I have also found nothing in scripture that would give me even a kernel to start speculating on.

I am sorry I cannot offer anything more substantive.

Regards,

Finrock

You've offered plenty. If nothing else -- you've given me your companionship during the last few posts. LOL

In mortality the body has power over the spirit. The choices we make, the actions we take, affect the progress of our spirit. It can speed it up, keep it going, slow it down, or halt it altogether.

With a resurrected, and/or exalted body, the spirit has power over the physical body.

Perhaps this is one of the purposes. That we may have power over the physical realm.

Well in order to be exalted we had to obtain a physical body. So in my mind there is something very special about a physical body. In a talk by President Kimball he stated something that intrigued me.

"When we were spiritual beings, fully organized and able to think and study and understand with him, our Heavenly Father said to us, in effect: “Now, my beloved children, in your spirit state you have progressed about as far as you can. To continue your development, you need physical bodies. I intend to provide a plan whereby you may continue your growth. As you know, one can grow only by overcoming." Maybe the reason we must have exalted bodies is to obtain the next step. As spirits we obtained as much knowledge from our Father until we came to earth where we obtained our bodies and were tested and tried. Maybe an exalted body will allow us to continue on our path to Godhood. You know, provide us the next step.

If our bodies had power over our spirits, then most of us would indeed be doomed.

The purpose of coming to earth, is so that our spirits can overcome the natural man and overcome the temptations of the flesh and prove ourselves valiant to our Heavenly Father.

Neal A. Maxwell, “The Seventh Commandment: A Shield,” Liahona, Jan 2002, 90–93

The influential tendencies of the natural man are unfriendly to the seventh commandment and these involve the self-damaging “carnal, sensual, [and] devilish” (Mosiah 16:3; see also Mosiah 3:19; Moses 5:13). If these three words sound too harsh, consider, brothers and sisters, the awful goal the adversary pursues: “that all men might be miserable like unto himself” (2 Ne. 2:27). Misery really does love company!

One of the best ways we can put “off the natural man” is to starve him (Mosiah 3:19). Weakened, he is more easily dislodged. Otherwise, he insists on getting his ticket punched at every stop on the temptation train. Sadly, corrective words do not usually help the natural man either, because lust chokes the word (see Mark 4:19).

Aleksandr N. Manzhos, “Book of Mormon Principles: Spiritually Born of God,” Ensign, Apr 2004, 49

Becoming Spiritually Born Again

I frequently recall that simple, humble testimony, full of the Spirit and the joy of the truth. It causes me to think that having repented and entered into the waters of baptism, we sometimes forget we have started on the path established for us by our Heavenly Father’s plan and made possible by the Savior’s great sacrifice. This choice is the starting point, not only for us, but for our future generations. Thus begin the rebirth and change of our existence in this life, opening the way to eternal life.

The Lord instructed Alma that all mankind “must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters; And thus they become new creatures; and unless they do this, they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God” (Mosiah 27:25–26).

Sensing the Lord’s Spirit and feeling the powerful changes in our hearts—so much so that we no longer do evil but rather strive toward the godly—permit us to understand what it means to be born again, to be spiritually born of God. The deeper our understanding of this principle, the more carefully will we heed Alma’s warning: “Unless this be the case, they must be cast off; and this I know, because I was like to be cast off” (Mosiah 27:27).

It is important for each person to recognize the danger of falling under the influence of carnal lusts, desires, appetites, and feelings more than under the influence of the Holy Ghost, because “if he boasts in his own strength, and sets at naught the counsels of God, and follows after the dictates of his own will and carnal desires, he must fall and incur the vengeance of a just God upon him” (D&C 3:4).

We must stand firm in the knowledge that we have the agency and the power to fulfil and obey all that God asks of us. If our spirits were at the mercy of our mortal bodies, then we would be incapable of fulfilling all that our Father in Heaven asks of us. In fact, what would be the point of sending our spirits into carnal tabernacles, if our spirits could not have the power and agency to overcome the temptations of Satan?

With much love and thought...Tough Grits.

Yes, it is fittingly called being "born again." We are born to this life with water, blood, and spirit. All three are present in our rebirth too.

Moses 6:

59 That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death, and inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water, and blood, and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul, even so ye must be born again into the kingdom of heaven, of water, and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten; that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory;

60 For by the water ye keep the commandment; by the Spirit ye are justified, and by the blood ye are sanctified;

The Sacrament is an amazing thing.

I like the way it says we can enjoy the words of eternal life in this life. The scriptures say they become delicious to us. Does this lead us back to the word of God is a seed, and when planted on good soil, or a broken heart, it will grow and produce fruit, even the fruit of the tree of life?

I think it does. :)

Also, for those of you interested in understanding the difference between sanctification and justification, there is a very good clue in these verses.

It is also interesting how this correlates perfectly to the creation of heaven and earth in the beginning. Maybe I'll open a thread on the creation. It sounds like some of you are wanting to discuss it. I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

Not to be redundant or boring, but I truly feel passionately about our ability, responsibility, and agency to overcome temptation.

LDS.org > Gospel Library > Gospel Topics > Temptation

Temptation

Temptation is a test of a person's ability to choose good instead of evil. It is an enticement to sin and follow Satan instead of God. Part of the experience of this life is to learn to overcome temptation and to choose right over wrong. Modern revelation indicates that Satan does not have power to tempt little children until they begin to be accountable for their actions (see D&C 29:47).

Since the Fall of Adam and Eve, people have had an inclination to follow earthly desires and to succumb to appetites and passions. This life was given as a time in which God's children could learn to use their agency to overcome temptation and to choose of their own free will to follow Jesus Christ.

The last days in which we live are especially "perilous times" (2 Timothy 3:1). The influence of the adversary is widespread and seductive. Satan tries to deceive and to make sin seem appealing. But each individual can defeat Satan and overcome temptation. Each individual has the gift of agency—the power to choose good over evil. Those who humble themselves before God and pray continually for strength will not be "tempted above that which [they] can bear" (Alma 13:28). As they willingly obey the commandments, Heavenly Father strengthens them to withstand temptation.

The following principles also help:

Centering one's life on the Savior. The prophet Helaman counseled his sons, "Remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall" (Helaman 5:12).

Praying for strength. When the resurrected Savior came to the Nephites, He taught the multitude: "Ye must watch and pray always lest ye enter into temptation; for Satan desireth to have you, that he may sift you as wheat. Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name" (3 Nephi 18:18–19). In the latter days He has given similar counsel: "Pray always, that you may come off conqueror; yea, that you may conquer Satan, and that you may escape the hands of the servants of Satan that do uphold his work" (D&C 10:5).

Studying the scriptures daily. Nephi taught, "Whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction" (1 Nephi 15:24; see also Helaman 3:29–30).

Filling one's life with goodness. When life is filled with goodness, no room is left to do evil.

Avoiding tempting places and situations. Places or situations where temptations are likely to come should be avoided. Inappropriate material in magazines, books, television, movies, and music and on the Internet should also be avoided.

Striving to influence others for good. Latter-day disciples of Jesus Christ can be in the world but "not of the world" (see John 17:14–18). They can strive to influence others to live good and wholesome lives by setting a righteous example, being a good friend, participating in community service, and, as appropriate, letting their voices be heard in defense of moral values.

Never hesitating in decisions to withstand temptation. The Savior "suffered temptations but gave no heed unto them" (D&C 20:22). When Satan tempted Jesus in the wilderness, the Lord never wavered. His answer was quick and firm: "Get thee behind me, Satan" (Luke 4:8). James counseled: "Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you" (James 4:7–8).

See also Agency; Conscience; Fasting and Fast Offerings; Holy Ghost; Light of Christ; Repentance; Satan

—See True to the Faith (2004), 174–76

These principles are important to me. I can't remember my pre-mortal existence. But I know where I was, I know that I chose God's plan over Lucifer's, and I know I came here to receive a body so that I could prove myself herewith.

Without the knowledge that I do indeed have the power to overcome the natural man, then I would be very frustrated and it would be easier for me to give up.

But because I know that my spirit can overcome the temptations that bombard me daily, it gives the brightness of hope that I need to keep progressing on the straight and narrow path that leads back to my Father in Heaven.

IMHO

Sometimes the manner in which a question is asked - the answer can be affected. The greater one's abilities the greater one can serve good or evil.

The Traveler

Guest Xzain

If I may weigh in-

Recently I have been pondering about the substantive difference between matter and intelligence. Though 'all spirit is matter', there must be some sort of difference or 'threshold', if you will, that seperates matter and intelligence. I also believe 'intelligence' (also called 'spirit') to be the driving force for action (the 'reason') and 'matter' to be the means of bringing that action about.

I also believe in the fundamental difference between 'power' and 'capability'. One achieves power through exercise and work. For example, disregarding physical disabilities, we all have the ability to work our muscles and grow in 'strength' and 'power'. Althogh we all have the capability, we don't all do it, and do not all achieve that power. I reason it is the same in intellectual and spiritual matters- when we exercise one facet of our nature it strengthens, over time, that and all other related facets.

Studies have shown, and the scriptures hint, that physical exercise heightens one's intellectual capabilities. Also, mental exercise can heighten one's physical skill. We can see that one influences the other.

If those three hypotheses are correct- which I do believe they are- then to have naught but intelligence is to possess no actual power; no capability to grow and increase beyond purely intellectual grounds. However, I believe it's innate to intellectual nature for intelligences to want to be able to act for themselves. If it were not so, we would not have desired bodies like our Heavenly Father's. Therefore, to truly acheive a 'fulness of happiness', both body and spirit are required- to give both knowledge and power to one spiritual entity.

If our bodies had power over our spirits, then most of us would indeed be doomed.

I don't see how.

As I said:

The choices we make, the actions we take, affect the progress of our spirit. It can speed it up, keep it going, slow it down, or halt it altogether.

Whether or not this body chooses to read his scriptures every day, pray always, give in charity, speak kindly, live by need and not desire, not strike another, respect all, work diligent, tithe, share the Gospel, stay chaste, heed the prophets, etc. etc. etc. all affect the progress of my spirit.

And after I have lived my life, it will affect the state in which I am resurrected, and the Kingdom of Glory I will be allowed to dwell in.

VisionOfLehi,

Hello! :)

I think it is okay that you and I see this matter from different angles. That is why I did not quote you or single you out, because I am not here to argue or embarrass anybody. I just enjoy sharing my testimony and my opinions.

I am sorry if you felt I was coming back on you. That was not my intent. I just wanted to share my view on the natural man and the spirit.

My husband and I have had some really good conversations about this...especially since I am in college now and I am taking several psychology and sociology classes. Nature vs. nurture comes up quite a bit (don't get me started on that topic!!!!!!! LOL LOL).

Still, my testimony of the spirit having the ability to overcome the natural man is based on the things that I have read, the things that I have experienced, and the things that the Holy Ghost has witnessed to me.

I do not discredit your view, and I hope that you will allow me to maintain my own view.

Peace! :hippie:

The spirit is to overcome the body, yes. That's the GOAL.

But it just DOESN'T on it's own. We have to make a CHOICE, and allow our body to become subservient to the spirit. In our natural state, it does not.

So, again, our body affects our spirit. The spirit only overcomes the natural man if we allow it to. What you have said falls perfectly in line with my statement. :)

Guest tomk

Like the lies of Satan, the body itself can only cry for attention - we don't have to listen to it. We choose to. It is the spirit that is in control, it is the spirit that gives life to the body, it is the spirit that directs the body and commands it. As we learn to partner with Christ in ALL aspects of our lives -- we begin to realize more and more control over the body and the things it craves. We are first and foremost spiritual beings.

The body doesn't "allow" anything as it pertains to our salvation. The Gospel is a set of spiritual laws, not temporal. A parapalegic can live the Gospel every bit as fully as an able-bodied person.