Is the Book of Mormon plagiarized from the Bible?

Gatsby

I'm reading the BOM and I was wondering why it sounds so similar to the Bible? The beginning of 2 Nephi sounds just like Isaiah and at the introduction it even states, compare to Isaiah.

Why? :confused:

While I read the beginning of 2 Nephi I just couldn't stop thinking, Joseph Smith plagiarized the BOM!

I'm trying to gain a true, solid testimony of the Gospel and I want to know if the BOM is true.

where did this book come from? could Joseph have written it from his own experience in the time taken, at that age, even with the help of his scribes? Is it written in the language and style of a frontier wester americian 19th century poorly educated mindset, or is it written in a classical ancient educated middle-eastern mindset? Ultimately, the proof of the Book of Mormon is spiritually discerned, even if logic is used. I state there is NO proof of the Book of Mormon, other than, nor better than, the spiritual one. That proof will stand all questions and all opposition for as long as it is sustained by faithful continuance in its maintenance. Study, Ponder, pray. Ask & ye shall recieve, Knock, & it shall be opened unto you, be dilligent in keeping the commandments of the Lord and be believing, and you shall KNOW! Give it time, the work will prove itself true or false. Be aware that the people in it are themselves imperfect, and may not always behave as you might expect. We are not a club for the perfected, but a hospital for those seeking perfection. expect some sicknesses among us, and perhaps some contaigion from time to time. It should not be so, but it can be, it is up to you to see the God behind it all, and not let our humanness block the view.

Nephi wrote out the portions of the book of Isaiah for a few reasons. First, he stated that there were three eye witnesses to the coming Savior: Nephi, his brother Jacob, and Isaiah. Nephi includes Jacob's witness in his writings, and so it becomes necessary to include the third witness, as well.

Next, Isaiah includes prophecies that Nephi felt applied directly to his people, the Nephites. He started with Isaiah's writings, but then "likened" them unto his own people in the following verses. His explanations would not make as much sense without first quoting Isaiah, to give his reader a reference point - and he did not know if future peoples would have Isaiah or not available at hand to refer to.

Reading Nephi's Midrash of Isaiah, would have been a very common thing in his time. Among the Dead Sea Scrolls and writings of the early Jewish scholars, we come across many Biblical readings that are then interpreted. In the Dead Sea Scrolls, we can read the Commentaries on Hosea (4Q166-7), Micah (1Q14), Nahum (4Q169), Habakkuk (1QpHab), and Psalms (4Q171, 4Q173); as well as a Midrash on the Last Days (4Q174), among others. Each of these commentaries quotes portions of the text, and then explains it. This is exactly what Nephi does. Yet, the Dead Sea Scrolls were not available for Joseph Smith, and so knowing that this was an ancient practice was probably unknown to all but the Midrashic scholars of his day.

So, what you view as a problem, I view as evidence that the Book of Mormon is authentic.

Scholars have long since had concerns about some of the text in the books of Isaiah in the Old Testament. Some of them don't quite make sense. Some of these scholars are LDS, and they had a theory. They decided to translate the Book of Mormon Isaiah passages to Hebrew and compare them to the oldest writings of Isaiah that still exist in Hebrew.

It was amazing what they found!

Still, if you are reading to know if the Book of Mormon is true, and you are getting hung up on the books of Isaiah, I suggest you are not reading it with a real intent to know if it's true. As you read, let what you don't understand take care of itself. If there is something you don't understand, don't let it cause you to doubt. Be believing. Imagine, "what if this book is true?" Don't look for ways it isn't. If you have a real intent to know of it's truth it can only be manifest to an open heart. If you are doubting as you turn the pages, I don't think your heart is in it.

Without going into an in-depth thesis, Nephi brought with him and his family plates of brass out of Jerusalem that contained the five books of moses and all the prophets to the time of the reign of Zedekiah, which was the time that Nephi left Jerusalem.

Joseph barely had the education of a third grader when he translated the plates by the power of the Lord. Here's an interesting challenge that was once issued by Hugh Nibley to people who mistakenly consider the ease of writing such an account. I posted it in a blog:

Blogs » the book of mormon challenge » LDS Mormon Network

This is something that I am struggling with myself. I want to believe it is as old as the Church says it is...but the OT passages and quotes from the NT really bother me. I guess I am at the point that I believe it brings me closer to Christ, and that I should care more about the influence it has on me...and not the origin.

Rozalie

Consider how some have gained their testimony in the following thread:

http://www.lds.net/forums/prayers-testimonies/10069-your-book-mormon-story.html

It is only through personal revelation from Father in Heaven that we can know of its truth as found in Moroni's promise:

Moro. 10: 3-5

3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

A-train described his process of gaining a testimony also. Notice how he exemplified a real intent, having faith in Christ in gaining his testimony:

Personal Beliefs » LDS Mormon Network

The Lord will test your faith and your intent of proving that faith. He will reward you accordingly. Best wishes.

All scripture comes from one place...truth.

One source...Heavenly Father.

All those who have written their accounts (that are now compiled as the OT, NT, BoM, DC, and PoGP), were all prompted by the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost is a witness of God, the Father, and His son, Jesus Christ.

So, in simple logic...it stands to reason that all scripture should be similar in nature, doctrine, principles, and tone, as all scripture comes from one source...Heavenly Father and the gospel of Jesus Christ.

IMHO

This is something that I am struggling with myself. I want to believe it is as old as the Church says it is...but the OT passages and quotes from the NT really bother me. I guess I am at the point that I believe it brings me closer to Christ, and that I should care more about the influence it has on me...and not the origin.

Rozalie

I personally believe that God can inspire more than one prophet to say the same thing. Otherwise, I would have to disbelieve either Micah or Isaiah for plagiarism (compare Isaiah 2 and Micah 4)

Would it make a difference if I noted that Isaiah and Deuteronomy are quoted in the New Testament more than any other books, and they are quoted or referenced in the BoM more than any other Old Testament books, as well? Oh, and that is also true in the Dead Sea Scrolls, too. Are we seeing a pattern here?

Was Joseph plagiarizing (a very poor way of doing it, since he notes Isaiah, which means he wasn't really plagiarizing, but quoting), or was he following an ancient pattern?

BTW, Nephi's Psalm (2 Ne 4) follows the pattern of a psalm in the DSS Community Rule. Since the DSS were found in 1947, how could Joseph have known to follow such a pattern, unless they both followed a similar, older pattern? Given such ancient patterns, I tend to think Joseph must have been either a great guesser, or an inspired prophet.

This may seem too basic to post, but for those who are not members and/or know very little of our Church and beliefs...

Joseph Smith did not write the Book of Mormon. He translated it.

LDS.org > Gospel Library > Gospel Topics

Book of Mormon

The Book of Mormon is a record of God's dealings with the people who lived in the ancient Americas. Prophets of the Lord engraved the original records on gold plates. On September 22, 1827, an angel named Moroni—the last Book of Mormon prophet—delivered these records to the Prophet Joseph Smith. By the gift and power of God, the Prophet Joseph translated the record into English.

The primary purpose of the Book of Mormon is to convince all people "that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations" (title page of the Book of Mormon). It teaches that all people "must come unto him, or they cannot be saved" (1 Nephi 13:40). Joseph Smith said that the Book of Mormon is "the keystone of our religion, and a man [will] get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book" (introduction to the Book of Mormon).

The Book of Mormon is another witness for the truths taught in the Bible. It also restores "plain and precious" truths that have been lost from the Bible through errors in translation or "taken away" in attempts to "pervert the right ways of the Lord" (see 1 Nephi 13:24–27, 1 Nephi 13:38–41). The Bible and the Book of Mormon "shall grow together, unto the confounding of false doctrines and laying down of contentions, and establishing peace" (2 Nephi 3:12).

Near the end of the Book of Mormon, the prophet Moroni teaches us how we can know the book is true: "When ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost" (Moroni 10:4; see also Moroni 10:3 and Moroni 10:5).

See also Scriptures

—See True to the Faith (2004), 157–58

To address the matter of the authenticity of the Book of Mormon...please read the following:

LDS.org > Gospel Library > Gospel Topics

Book of Mormon, Authenticity of

The primary evidence for the authenticity or truth of the Book of Mormon comes from God. As promised in the Book of Mormon, anyone can know of its truth by reading it and asking God with a sincere heart and with real intent to know that it is true (see Moroni 10:3–5). "With real intent" means that those who ask must be willing or committed to act upon a manifestation once it is received. Otherwise, there is no promise. The Holy Ghost confirms the truth by revelation directly to the individual. All other evidences for authenticity of the Book of Mormon are secondary. Millions of people have testified that they have received a personal witness from God by the power of the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true.

The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. It was written and preserved by the original writers to convince future readers that Jesus is the Christ and to persuade them to come unto Christ and be saved.

The Lord has revealed that:

• The Book of Mormon is translated from plates containing engravings of ancient records (see D&C 3:19, 8:1).

• The translation of the Book of Mormon is true (see D&C 17:6).

• It contains the truth and His words (see D&C 19:26).

• It was translated by power from on high (see D&C 20:8).

• It contains a record of a fallen people (see D&C 20:9).

• It contains the fulness of the gospel (see D&C 42:12).

In many other verses of the Doctrine and Covenants the Lord refers to the people and prophets of the Book of Mormon.

Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon (over 500 pages) by the gift and power of God in about 60 days. During the translation process, Joseph dictated one line at a time, but did not pause to review previous sentences or pages. There is no evidence that he had any notes, manuscripts, or documents to assist him during the translation. There is also no evidence that Joseph Smith did any research or much reading at all before he published the Book of Mormon. The resulting book, with its complex account of individuals, communities and nations, religious teachings, and source materials is internally consistent and evidence in itself that Joseph Smith did not write it.

That Joseph Smith actually had the golden plates for a period in the late 1820s has been established by 11 witnesses who saw the plates and handled them.

From the time the Book of Mormon was first published until now, critics have assailed its authenticity in a variety of ways. All attempts to find an explanation for the origin of the Book of Mormon other than the one given in the book itself have failed. There is no evidence to discredit the Prophet Joseph Smith’s testimony. The Church continues to grow, and people from all nations continue to receive a knowledge of the truth of the Book of Mormon by the power of the Holy Ghost.

(See also Book of Mormon Title Page; Book of Mormon Introduction; The Testimony of Three Witnesses; The Testimony of Eight Witnesses; Testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith.)

Church Magazine Articles:

All scripture comes from one place...truth.

One source...Heavenly Father.

All those who have written their accounts (that are now compiled as the OT, NT, BoM, DC, and PoGP), were all prompted by the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost is a witness of God, the Father, and His son, Jesus Christ.

So, in simple logic...it stands to reason that all scripture should be similar in nature, doctrine, principles, and tone, as all scripture comes from one source...Heavenly Father and the gospel of Jesus Christ.

IMHO

Amen. Jesus is quoted in the bible and 3Nephi. Same speaker, similar words (some verbatim). Nephi quotes Isaiah among others. All prophets speak the words of God, and use the same influences to know how to express the thoughts of revelation that they get. Thus it all sounds similar, because it all teaches the same thing. All that said, if you want to know the Book of Mormon is true, the only person you can trust is God your father. Only when he says to you personally, "yes, its true" can you know. Not believe it, but know it. As such, you should ask him your questions (as others have already stated).

Nephi wrote out the portions of the book of Isaiah for a few reasons. First, he stated that there were three eye witnesses to the coming Savior: Nephi, his brother Jacob, and Isaiah. Nephi includes Jacob's witness in his writings, and so it becomes necessary to include the third witness, as well.

Next, Isaiah includes prophecies that Nephi felt applied directly to his people, the Nephites. He started with Isaiah's writings, but then "likened" them unto his own people in the following verses. His explanations would not make as much sense without first quoting Isaiah, to give his reader a reference point - and he did not know if future peoples would have Isaiah or not available at hand to refer to.

Reading Nephi's Midrash of Isaiah, would have been a very common thing in his time. Among the Dead Sea Scrolls and writings of the early Jewish scholars, we come across many Biblical readings that are then interpreted. In the Dead Sea Scrolls, we can read the Commentaries on Hosea (4Q166-7), Micah (1Q14), Nahum (4Q169), Habakkuk (1QpHab), and Psalms (4Q171, 4Q173); as well as a Midrash on the Last Days (4Q174), among others. Each of these commentaries quotes portions of the text, and then explains it. This is exactly what Nephi does. Yet, the Dead Sea Scrolls were not available for Joseph Smith, and so knowing that this was an ancient practice was probably unknown to all but the Midrashic scholars of his day.

So, what you view as a problem, I view as evidence that the Book of Mormon is authentic.

This makes sense.

Consider how some have gained their testimony in the following thread:

http://www.lds.net/forums/prayers-testimonies/10069-your-book-mormon-story.html

It is only through personal revelation from Father in Heaven that we can know of its truth as found in Moroni's promise:

Moro. 10: 3-5

3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

A-train described his process of gaining a testimony also. Notice how he exemplified a real intent, having faith in Christ in gaining his testimony:

Personal Beliefs » LDS Mormon Network

The Lord will test your faith and your intent of proving that faith. He will reward you accordingly. Best wishes.

Thanks!

I'm reading the BOM and I was wondering why it sounds so similar to the Bible? The beginning of 2 Nephi sounds just like Isaiah and at the introduction it even states, compare to Isaiah.

Why? :confused:

While I read the beginning of 2 Nephi I just couldn't stop thinking, Joseph Smith plagiarized the BOM!

I'm trying to gain a true, solid testimony of the Gospel and I want to know if the BOM is true.

I know it might be hard to understand, but I think the Lord, through Nephi, was trying to say: "Pay attention to this, it is important!!!"

However, keep up the thinking bit. The Isaiah sections are great, but require a bit of careful thought, they are layered. If you take something personal and something generally-accepted from them, then you are on the right track. Seeking clarification, don't ask us on the board: ask the Lord, he'll let you know.

Aaron the Ogre

We must remember the importance God placed on the Brass Plates of Laban. They were so important that the Nephites take them into the wilderness that God commanded Nephi to slay Laban for them.

Lehi studies them and prophesies. Nephi discusses the importance of the writings are, and how he likens them to his people so that they may understand them (2 Ne 4). He even gives strict instructions on what to write in the small plates and to whom they are to be passed down.

Clearly, the writings of Isaiah were important to Nephi and the Savior, who also commanded the people to study Isaiah's words.

If one would only look at the new doctrine that was not even discovered by so called scientists until decades after Joseph translated and published the Book of Mormon you would see a billion other evidences of its divinity. If you read I Nephi, we see that Isaiah was included because the books of Moses (Pentateuch) were not enough to bring people to Christ. If there we no other chapter to the B of M other than II Nephi Chapter 9, it would give us so much more than any other partial and incomplete so-called true church on earth that it would be laughable, but we have so much more. Moroni in the end and so forth. So many strain at trying to find fault and they will find it, because muckrakers always do, but look at the expounding of doctrines such as the Fall, the Atonement, the reason we have opposition, the plan of happiness (salvation), and on and on. I promise if you keep straining at a gnat you will find yourself on the outside looking in. Don't be so sophomoric. But of course you have pure rights to your opinion(s) just broaden your vision and get off the plagerinzing thing. It is as revelant as the use of the word Adieu. Of course any English word that is translated was not used by the B of M peoples. Look at the Bible and there are dozens of references to scriptures that speak of the prophecies of Christ that we do not have - do you think the Bible is false, uninspired, and shallow because of that?

Abraham