Oprah

VisionOfLehi

YouTube - The Church of Oprah exposed She denies Christ

The relevant part ends at 3:30.

What do you think about this? What do you think about the video-maker's commentary? What about Oprah's comments?

There's many of other videos, too. Some which I wouldn't recommend watching (because of the stupid comments and images added to them), but some you can find that are just pure clips of her television segments.

To me, I see a plethora of half-truths. Thinks half-right, but the other half is greatly erring and misleading.

I've never liked Oprah, myself. Even as a kid. I get these "feelings" about people that, in my experience, have turned out to be correct. I've been mocked about this, but I know it's one of my gifts.

Oprah has always made me feel uneasy.

This helps me understand why.

Other things she's done have shocked me. Over a decade ago, she had a kid on her show that did the same thing as in this video:

YouTube - How many weapons can a student hide?

I found it appalling that she showed on national TV how easy it is to conceal weapons. I was 9 at the time, and I've never forgotten that I can stick a rifle in my baggy pants. I think the Oprah segment mentioned the kid cutting holes in the bottom of his pockets to hide bigger guns.

Thoughts on Oprah?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tomk

Without seeing it -- I can say -- I hope she finds Him and stops denying Him. He loves her!

Many celebrities are kind of -- how do I say this nicely -- a bit whacky. I praise the good they do and try to take the rest with a grain of salt.

Tom

I have to agree with you, I don't like Oprah either. We have been taught time and time again that we are going to be taught half truths or gospel mixed with just a little lie. The main thing is we need to keep our eyes and ears open and listen to the counsel of the Prophet. IMHO :)

YouTube - The Church of Oprah exposed She denies Christ

The relevant part ends at 3:30.

What do you think about this? What do you think about the video-maker's commentary? What about Oprah's comments?

There's many of other videos, too. Some which I wouldn't recommend watching (because of the stupid comments and images added to them), but some you can find that are just pure clips of her television segments.

To me, I see a plethora of half-truths. Thinks half-right, but the other half is greatly erring and misleading.

I've never liked Oprah, myself. Even as a kid. I get these "feelings" about people that, in my experience, have turned out to be correct. I've been mocked about this, but I know it's one of my gifts.

Oprah has always made me feel uneasy.

This helps me understand why.

Other things she's done have shocked me. Over a decade ago, she had a kid on her show that did the same thing as in this video:

YouTube - How many weapons can a student hide?

I found it appalling that she showed on national TV how easy it is to conceal weapons. I was 9 at the time, and I've never forgotten that I can stick a rifle in my baggy pants. I think the Oprah segment mentioned the kid cutting holes in the bottom of his pockets to hide bigger guns.

Thoughts on Oprah?

i have seen that video. I agree. Oprah kinda rubs me the wrong way. Just because someone calls themselves a christian does not make them a christian.

While I validate some of the good that she and other "talk show hosts" have done for their fellow man, I don't care for the vehicle of exploitation in which they use to build their own empires with. I wonder if these talk show hosts would still be giving of their time and money if they didn't have so much of either. Just another reason I don't watch much TV anymore. Television is mostly crap these days anyway.

While I validate some of the good that she and other "talk show hosts" have done for their fellow man, I don't care for the vehicle of exploitation in which they use to build their own empires with. I wonder if these talk show hosts would still be giving of their time and money if they didn't have so much of either. Just another reason I don't watch much TV anymore. Television is mostly crap these days anyway.

Mostly true. Also, why in the world do so many white, lesser-educated women think Oprah is some sort of expert on life and family even though she is a middle-aged woman with no kids, no husband and not a really solid philosophical or religious foundation to base her opinions on?

I've seen this video before. Speaking of "the light" that Oprah refers to, it's in regard to Betty J. Eadie, who wrote a book called "Embraced by the Light" recounting the time when she died and was given the opportunity to come back to life on the operating table. Something like that. It sounds like this show revolves around this experience.

Oprah definitely has her views, misguided as they may be. I find it interesting that she attended the same church (led by a radical reverend) at one time as a prominent politician, who is running for president and campaigned with him not too long ago. I won't say any more than this about that, though. ^_^

Ok. So I watched the video and I have to say, I loved the creepy music playing. Nice little bit of manipulation there. And I personally don't have any problem with what Oprah was saying. She was trying to make a point from her point of view. Do I agree? Partially. She is missing the plan of salvation. And so were the christian people. They both were right....AND wrong. And I think the movie maker was really off base and I resent that kind of expose or demonizing of someone that you may disagree with. And won't look to something like that to determine the truth about any person.

Look. Oprah is a TV personality. She is very influential. But she is not a prophet and has never said she was!! Because of her power and influence is allowed to cross that line and discuss religion and philosophy from her perspective, of course, in a way that perhaps other TV host would not. But I argue, that she is opening the discussion. She is clearly inviting people to believe what she does. But, she has said that she believes in Jesus. I think that Oprah, as a person, has been searching and learning, and I can't say that I agree with her determinations completely. But she tries and the onus is on us to follow the spirit. If we find that we follow Oprah over the spirit, that isn't Oprah's fault. It is ours. So, as far as I am concerned, Oprah is Oprah. She is sometimes disturbing. She does promote ideas contrary to my values and beliefs. But, I don't have to listen. I don't have to follow. But she does try to bring good into the world and I applaud her efforts. I don't agree with her views. I do think that she mixes truth with error and confuses people. But, she is a TV personality. What we see and hear isn't real. It is a fabrication to get ratings and make money. There are many times I have felt funky about her and her shows. But I feel funky about this film maker too. Perhaps I am giving a double thumbs down.

Misshalfway, you said almost the same as I was going to say. I wasn't disturbed by Oprah's comments either, at the end of her segment of the video she asked what would happen to those who lived Christlike lives but lived in a remote part of the world and so never heard of Jesus Christ...that wasn't an offensive question or statement, it was inviting a debate from various religious beliefs..

The youtube video is sensationalist and silly, IMO :)

i didn't watch the video but i've gotten the forwarded emails about this before. i don't put a lot in what is said.

from personal perspective, i used to watch her show quite a lot, i stopped a few years ago cause she got "to preachy". her show started to feel more like a tv evangelist (?sp) rather than informative talk show. i don't like most talk shows but i thought hers was good. i'm not saying i agree or disagree with her personal belief system but i don't go to the tv for my religion (except general conference :P). so i lost interest in her. i must say i wasn't surprised when others finally saw it too and started to make a fuss about it.

okay guys. It doesn't really seem like any of you even remotely understood what Oprah was trying to say in that video. What she was saying IS- that just because someone hasn't heard the word of god doesn't mean they aren't going to make it to heaven. Like she said in the video, someone might be living on the other side of the planet and hasn't even heard the name "Jesus Christ" but yet they are living the best life they can and doing the right thing. She believes they can still make it to heaven...as do I, and we know that to be true as members of the church because we know there is the next life and that is where you can learn the gospel and accept it! Maybe some of you should re-watch the video the whole way through. And just so you know, a female member of the church is on the stage with Oprah, her name is Betty Edie and she was explaining her near death experience and what she was taught on the "other side"

one thing i heard her say a lot that i really liked (don't have an exact quote) was along the lines of .. you do the best you know how and when you know better you do better.

lol not sure why i thought i would throw that out there.

okay guys. It doesn't really seem like any of you even remotely understood what Oprah was trying to say in that video. What she was saying IS- that just because someone hasn't heard the word of god doesn't mean they aren't going to make it to heaven. Like she said in the video, someone might be living on the other side of the planet and hasn't even heard the name "Jesus Christ" but yet they are living the best life they can and doing the right thing. She believes they can still make it to heaven...as do I, and we know that to be true as members of the church because we know there is the next life and that is where you can learn the gospel and accept it! Maybe some of you should re-watch the video the whole way through. And just so you know, a female member of the church is on the stage with Oprah, her name is Betty Edie and she was explaining her near death experience and what she was taught on the "other side"

If that is the case, then I DO STAND CORRECTED. Thanks. :D

I read her book and it was profound.

I read it when it was published long time ago. I still remember her (Betty) description of returning to her body. She compared it to getting back into dirty, filthy clothes (something like that). It was a good book to read and insightful.

I never thought Oprah was evil, perhaps a little misguided, but I still don't like the talk shows that are based on exploitation, although she's not like others out there. I only know about them because my wife used to watch them (sometimes still does). :rolleyes:

What's more disturbing to me than these exploitation shows is the fact that there are so many women (and men) who's self esteem and issues in life are at some point where they need to watch this show to make them feel better or even allow themselves to be exploited on TV. Maybe I'll catch some wrath from you fine ladies here, but I don't mean that in a negative way at all. We are all so much better and stronger than this. I have, however, caught some of her shows that actually do good, like community service type of good. That's the kind of stuff that needs to be exploited, not people's issues and insecurities.