The word "Mormon"

the Ogre

Elder Bruce R. McConkie wrote the following:

To the fulness of the everlasting gospel, revealed anew in this final dispensation, the world has given the nickname Mormonism. This name--conferred upon the beliefs and doctrines of the saints and used by its original coiners as an opprobrious epithet--is in no sense offensive to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints . . .

Since the Latter-day SAints believe the Book of Mormon--a volume which contains the fulness of the gospel, the same gospel which is in the Bible--they do not recoil from the designation of their view as Mormonism. Rather they take every honorable opportunity to herald these views to the world. for they for they are the pure, unadulterated Christianity of old.

(McConkie, Bruce R. Mormon Doctrine. Mormonism. p512-3. Bookcraft, Salt Lake City, Ut.: 1966)

I work in the Lindon, Utah WalMart on State Street. Recently an assistant manager moved here from Texas. He and I have become pretty good friends. He asked me what are Mormons like. I told him that all the Mormons lived in Texas, wore weird clothing, and had more than one wife and all supported Texas Tech as the L-rd's University. He looked at me for a second and then he laughed. He thought that was pretty funny.

He thought we would be like the Amish or something. The conversation went well. He is a great guy and I hope the conversation gets better. There are plenty of dirty red-neck trailer-trash in the church and in Utah, so he should feel welcome.

I however did not tell him how much I hate the word Mormon. I have lived most of my life outside of Utah and hate how automatically that word generates a stereotype. Either it is like what my friend at WalMart thought or it is of the buttoned-down white accountant with seven-kids who votes Republican because we are told by church headquarters to do so.

This has always stuck with me as one of the flash-points for my membership. I absolutely despise the cliche-mormons out there (BTW: my Bishop knows, so don't bother narking on me--he's trying to marry me off, remember) and I hate how the media is currently using the word. It to me is as violent a word as any racial or ethnic slur known to man. It has been used against me in the military and in corporate USA (I worked for AMEX for several years in corporate communications) and yet I am told I am wrong for feeling that way because Elder McConkie says Latter-day Saints accept the term.

My response has always been along the lines of:

Who is he to dictate how I feel about anything?

Who is generalizing now?

That can't be right, that book was written over 40 years ago.

It's not doctrine anyway, read the inside cover--he says the whole book is his opinion.

However, I always remember how much I loved listening to him speak when I was a teen-ager no matter where I was in the world. I was deeply affected when he died and cried with my parents and siblings when we heard the news (Besides, he was a general authority and an apostle and I do love him).

I was able for a while to pass this sticking point, this paradox (and am still--the church is still and always will be true), but I refuse to see how this word can do anyone any good when all the world wants is to use it against us. The only people who seem to celebrate its use in the media are those nuts in the YFZ Ranch and down in Hildale/Colorado City. Ditch 'em I say.

It is a word that causes pain and is used to discriminate. I think it is time for the church to drop it completely except when referring to the BoM, the Prophet Mormon himself, and in publications dealing with scripture.

We should be past the need to use a word of hate to self-apply a type of identity that we no longer need. We should be able to discard this cultural-moniker and recognize what the name of our church is and enforce this with the media as they have stopped using these kinds of hateful, hurtful words for other religions and ethnic groups (in case you are not from Utah or California, Mormon is about the only way to describe the culture surrounding our religion whether pro or anti).

I hope with all my soul we as a church can completely exorcize this type of hate-speech and this word in particular from our own lips!

I am a Latter-day Saint and I am offended!

I have no problem calling myself or being called a Mormon or Latter Day Saint. As Joseph Smith was told by Moroni, "that my name should be had for good and evil among all nations, kindreds, and tongues, or that it should be both good and evil spoken of among all people."

As Mormons our name is had for good and evil. But we know better. Yes, the name Mormon comes with all sorts of stereotypes, prejudices and stigma. It is also known for much good. I can only imagine what the prophet Mormon thinks of all of us Latter Day Saints being called after his name. After all, we could have all been called Mahonri Moriancumrs. ^_^

'Dirty red-neck trailer-trash' and 'nuts in the YFZ Ranch' and 'buttoned-down white accountant with seven-kids who votes Republican because they are told by church headquarters to do so' and ,yes, 'Mormons' are words that cause pain and discriminate. Exorcising hate speech is a hard thing to do. Which words should we keep out of the above?

I don't think Ammon was offended when King Lamoni and his servants used the phrase "Great Spirit" to refer to God. Ammon used the same phrase so Lamoni would understand him, and then Ammon could connected the phrase with the concept of "God." They simply didn't know any better. (Alma 18)

I suppose that regardless of our efforts, we may never convert the world to general use of the full and correct name of the Church. Because of the shortness of the word Mormon and the ease with which it is spoken and written, they will continue to call us the Mormons, the Mormon church, and so forth.

They could do worse. More than fifty years ago, when I was a missionary in England, I said to one of my associates, “How can we get people, including our own members, to speak of the Church by its proper name?”

He replied, “You can’t. The word Mormon is too deeply ingrained and too easy to say.” He went on, “I’ve quit trying. While I’m thankful for the privilege of being a follower of Jesus Christ and a member of the Church which bears His name, I am not ashamed of the nickname Mormon.

“Look,” he went on to say, “if there is any name that is totally honorable in its derivation, it is the name Mormon. And so, when someone asks me about it and what it means, I quietly say—‘Mormon means more good.’ ” (The Prophet Joseph Smith first said this in 1843; see Times and Seasons, 4:194; Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 299–300.)

His statement intrigued me—Mormon means “more good.” I knew, of course, that “more good” was not a derivative of the word Mormon. I had studied both Latin and Greek, and I knew that English is derived in some measure from those two languages and that the words more good are not a cognate of the word Mormon. But his was a positive attitude based on an interesting perception. And, as we all know, our lives are guided in large measure by our perceptions. Ever since, when I have seen the word Mormon used in the media to describe us—in a newspaper or a magazine or book or whatever—there flashes into my mind his statement, which has become my motto: Mormon means “more good.”

We may not be able to change the nickname, but we can make it shine with added luster.

After all, it is the name of a man who was a great prophet who struggled to save his nation, and also the name of a book which is a mighty testament of eternal truth, a veritable witness of the divinity of the Lord Jesus Christ.

President Gordon B. Hinckley, "Mormon Should Mean "More Good"," Ensign. November 1990.

It's unfortunate there are stereotypes out there, but I simply see that as a lack of education. And those who would use the term in a negative manner would simply replace it with another word if "Mormon" was taken away. The word "Mormon" isn't the problem. The problem is those who have a lack of understanding of our beliefs. So those negative people, would be just as negative and attach just as much stereotyping if they used the actual name of the Church as they do using the word "Mormon."

'Dirty red-neck trailer-trash' and 'nuts in the YFZ Ranch' and 'buttoned-down white accountant with seven-kids who votes Republican because they are told by church headquarters to do so' and ,yes, 'Mormons' are words that cause pain and discriminate. Exorcising hate speech is a hard thing to do. Which words should we keep out of the above?

Buttoned down white accountant? mwahahahaha

I have no qualms about being called a Mormon. On my mission, I used to introduce myself and my campanions as representatives of the "Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints". When the person at the door looked confused, I then said that we were more commonly known as Mormons, and then they lit up, because they recognized that name. It gave us a common ground, and then we could discuss how we came to be known as Mormon, while still reminding them that that is not the official name of our church.

If people wish to insult us they can do so no matter what they call us. It's a word, just a word and as such is not offensive. How can the name of one of our prophets be offensive? Some words on the other hand could hardly be interpreted as anything but offensive, words such as "dirty red-neck trailer-trash" and "nuts in the YFZ Ranch".

If people refer to me as a Mormon I explain that we are often referred to as that but the name is actually the name of a person and then I go on to explain who Mormon was.

I don't think Ammon was offended when King Lamoni and his servants used the phrase "Great Spirit" to refer to God. Ammon used the same phrase so Lamoni would understand him, and then Ammon could connected the phrase with the concept of "God." They simply didn't know any better.

Heather: thank you for responding. I appreciate your comments as much as I love this forum. Please do not take my response as an attack, it is meerly disagreement. Again, thank you very much for your time and your always consistent thoughtfulness.

--Aaron the Ogre

Right.

With my Texas friend, I was not offended. He does not know better and for 80% of the people out there, they do not know better and can be forgiven, but the ignorant are not forgiven now for use of other forms of hate-speech like the 'n' word, the 'k' word, or other words like them (as a matter of fact, as a Latter-day Saint I must always forgive everyone and I do, but that does not mean I can not work to halt a bad practice or attempt to slow the tide of hate out there). I did not bar-b-que him for using the word, he is a pretty nice guy and I want the conversation to improve. The only people who deserve to have their feet held to the fire are the 20% who do or should know better like legal entities, the press, and academics.

He replied, “You can’t. The word Mormon is too deeply ingrained and too easy to say.” He went on, “I’ve quit trying. While I’m thankful for the privilege of being a follower of Jesus Christ and a member of the Church which bears His name, I am not ashamed of the nickname Mormon.

I actually remember this. Thank you for the reminder. Gordon B. always had such a gentle way of explaining things and yet his words carry the weight of concrete blocks. When I read this the first time I felt better about my predicament and yet it did not mitigate it enough to say to those who should know better, "you're okay, continue to be a bigot".

When asked if I am a mormon, I have responded with pride and often with the statement, "true blue through and through".

We may not be able to change the nickname, but we can make it shine with added luster.

If you look closely at that statement, there is a qualifier "may". I do think it is possible to affect change in the official structures in our world and then eventually the rest of the population and will also heighten the profile of H- whom we do follow. I think that many have decided the fight is not worth fighting because we need to focus on proselytizing and yet how can we allow this good desire to be an excuse to allow bigotry.

I don't know if pride in our people or acceptance of a nickname is sufficient reason.

It's unfortunate there are stereotypes out there, but I simply see that as a lack of education. And those who would use the term in a negative manner would simply replace it with another word if "Mormon" was taken away. The word "Mormon" isn't the problem. The problem is those who have a lack of understanding of our beliefs. So those negative people, would be just as negative and attach just as much stereotyping if they used the actual name of the Church as they do using the word "Mormon."

This is exactly how I feel, but what about those for whom there is no excuse. They must be with whom the change is made. The press does know better and yet they refuse to change because we allow them to continue as bigots.

I know that there is praise in being meek. I know that many have also died in defense of this dirty, little nickname and their sacrifice can not be ignored. But meekness and the sacrifice of others is no reason why I should allow government, political, academic, and reporting structures to continue to propitiate a form of hate-speech just because our entire church and society is turning the other cheek. Eventually we run out of cheeks. Eventually investigators leave the church leaving not wanting to be caught up in the flames of bigotry. Eventually we as a people have to recognize the word represents a culture I know the church wants exorcised from doctrine and publications.

Even in your standard quote you use the term "Mormon Church". I know you mean absolutely nothing bad in using it and in fact are working to clear-up perceptions that are founded on mistakes or plain falsehood, but truth be told there is no Mormon Church. There is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The D&C does not give revelation conferring upon us the name "Mormon Church". No one would have seen text from Rav Menachem M. Schneerson saying "the Jewish Church" much less "the K--- Church" (and yes the term "Mormon" is the equivalent of the 'k' word). He would have used the term "Chabad Lubavitch" ignoring the ignorance of others moving to clear-up misunderstanding (I'm using the past tense because Rabbi Schneersen has been dead for quite a while, but his followers do not call their religion "the Jewish Church"). Chabad has suffered from bigotry (they are the cliche jews you see in movies with side-curls and long black hats), but that does not stop them from trying to clear up all misconception. The sad thing is that there are many more Latter-day Saints then Lubavitcher Jews and yet we do nothing to stem this flow of misinformation.

As much as I respect Mormon as a person and a prophet, I do not worship him. As much as I respect and owe Joseph Smith much, I do not worship him. I am not a Mormonite, a Youngite, a Smithite, a McConkieite (unlike some of you dudes), a Hinckleyite, or a Monsonite I am a Latter-day Saint and thus a Christian. I love and respect those other men, but I do not worship them. Joseph Smith is the prophet of our dispensation and yet when I was baptized and confirmed, I did not covenant to carry his name or Mormon's name. I covenanted to carry only one: Jesus Christ (to those of you who noticed, I did not hyphenate Chr-st's name--in this this instance and the one above with "chr[-]stian" I think it is appropriate).

I think we as Latter-day Saints need to be all about clearing up misconceptions and the first is that the word Mormon is hate-speech. As hate-speech, no government official, academic, or member of the press should be allowed to use it. The word is offensive and it offends.

I am not a m-----, I am a Latter-day Saint.

If people wish to insult us they can do so no matter what they call us. It's a word, just a word and as such is not offensive. How can the name of one of our prophets be offensive? Some words on the other hand could hardly be interpreted as anything but offensive, words such as "dirty red-neck trailer-trash" and "nuts in the YFZ Ranch".

If people refer to me as a Mormon I explain that we are often referred to as that but the name is actually the name of a person and then I go on to explain who Mormon was.

You do see Willow. I inserted those two negative stereotypes in my original post to see if people noticed how negative and wrong those are. I think the word "mormon" is even more so.

You object to "dirty red-neck trailer-trash" and I object to the use of the word "mormon".

It is just that simple. If you don't like some bigotry, you should not like any. I do like your practice of clearing up what the word means and do the same, but only with love. It is with fellow Latter-day Saints where my fight lies. We need to stop using it and need to insist that official structures do the same.

Waa Waa!!!

my thoughts exaclty when i read your post...i thought your mommy need to change your diaper

i am sick and tired of people being offended of silly stuff, everyone who is easily offended has much much deeper issues they are guarding by being offended.... something that happened to you as a youth, maybe you need intensive electro-shock therapy to get the poison out. You sir are what is wrong with this country, people get their feelings hurt to quickly and need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

"mormon" is not offensive

there are several justifiably offensive terms for jews, blacks, asians, whites, women, arabs, etc

if you are offended by the word mormon... try being called a N***** or a K*** or a H*** or C*** or G*** or N** or or S*** or Z** or W** or D**** or K**** or C******

the list is endless....mormon is at about he bottom of the to be offended by list.... considering that the word MORMON is printed on our scripture, and is an official church website. I'm sorry that as a tot you had an experience that you have done your best to block out of your memory. But getting your feelings hurt by a word...... get a life dude. There is way to much to worry about in this world, other than words. Especially when the person saying the word didn't mean to offend you.

I'm a fat white gun toting redneck, call me whatever heck you want, you ain't gonna offend me... Cause words are words...thats all they are..they can't hurt you if you are over 3 years old

STICKS AND STONES MAY BREAK MY BONES BUT WORDS WILL NEVER HURT ME

i've known that lil' ditty since i was in short pants

I too hate being reffered to as a 'mormon' becasue of all the negative connotations such as polygamy. People then see you differently-not good differently either if they know what a mormon is in the first place. For some reason Latter Day Saint is better-maybe because ppl dont have clue what it is and therefore cant judge you on onything or assume you're a certain type. Its not very cool to be a practising christian here, especially to a religion most people have never heard of. If Im ever asked about my beliefs now I just say Im a christian. A lot simpler and no aggro or uncomfortable questions.

I understand why people feel the way they do about being called a "Mormon". They have had bad experiences. Joseph Smith did too. So did his family and his friends and their families as did the pioneers who were called "Mormons." I was also ridiculed in my youth for being a "Mormon." The wicked will always revile and persecute, but truth will always triumph.

D&C 123: 12

12 For there are many yet on the earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, who are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to deceive, and who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it—

For this reason I do not shy away from telling people that I am a Mormon. There are so many out there who hunger and thirst for something better. I also tell them it means I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but when I say I am a Mormon, it sets me apart. It creates an opportunity to explain why we are different, why we are peculiar. Those who's hearts are open and earnestly seeking will be drawn to you.

On my mission, I tracked into a gentleman who was so proud that his great grand daddy had shot a mormon. Oh well. I mean there are some out there that will see evil when they hear and use that word. They are statements and attitudes bred in ignorance. Perhaps they don't know any better.......perhaps they do. It seems to me though, that we can only meet any ignorance or persecution with love as much as we can and try to leave that person or group in peace.

On my mission, I tracked into a gentleman who was so proud that his great grand daddy had shot a mormon. Oh well. I mean there are some out there that will see evil when they hear and use that word. They are statements and attitudes bred in ignorance. Perhaps they don't know any better.......perhaps they do. It seems to me though, that we can only meet any ignorance or persecution with love as much as we can and try to leave that person or group in peace.

Without bringing up my internet conversations, we discussed this at my mom's last night. My sister had brought over a date who went on a mission to Tennessee. He had been shot at and met a gentleman who had shot at the missionaries before saying they should have just stayed in Utah. The kid is from Ohio and his comp was from England.

This kind of bigotry is only one form of the problem and I do not think there is much that can be done about it. These kind of guys also have the other forms of traditional ethnic hate. It is often a part of the culture and environment they are raised in.

I know some people feel that we should be proud of the nickname and there are some who have adopted it as a type of cultural identification and that the church is a type of extension of the culture. We are instructed to not rely on the arm of flesh and culture and society is part of this. Ultimately we can not rely on mormon culture any more than we can any other culture. We have to be able to abandon cultural-mormonism and simply be members of the church.

Still the desire to have the term abandoned from official and print use is something we can accomplish. Wouldn't it be nice if when one reads about criminals on cnn.com the term mormon is not dragged into the story, thus aligning diverse missassociations that only perpetuate already help misperceptions. The same is true of scholarship and government reports. No group, ethnic or religious, should have to deal with this problem and generally does not and yet exceptions are made for our faith.

When Woody Allen was in the press for his bad behavior, no one brought up his religious affiliation because it has nothing to do with his behavior. The same is true for the alleged-pedophiles in the FLDS faith in Texas and Hilldale/Colorado City and yet the connection is always brought up between the FLDS and mormons when the relationship is at best tenuous. This type of misassociation only perpetuates falsehoods. MormonTimes.com (an absolute rag) has documented other instances of this same sort of misassociation in the press and in my own research in religious philosophy, I have come across it.

Even if people do not mind this type of hate-speech as a nickname, they should not tolerate semi-official slander in the press, academia, and the government.

Eventually, a trickle-down effect will occur and the only people using the term will be the ignorant and hateful who can not let go of other forms of hate-speech.

I wonder...what should we call ourselves?

Why do we call ourselves anything, for that matter? Shouldn't Christian suffice?

Though being followers of Christ, thereby making us Christian...aren't we different? Don't we differ in certain (key) doctrines and principles from the average Christian?

Boyd K. Packer, “‘The Peaceable Followers of Christ’,” Ensign, Apr 1998, 62

There are doctrinal beliefs that will continue to be misunderstood and disturb our critics. A few of them are these:

• The statement in the revelation that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is “the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth.” 12

• Scriptures in addition to the Bible—the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price.

• Continuing revelation through apostles and prophets.

• The doctrine of the Godhead. The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are three separate and distinct personages, and “the Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s.” 13

• We are the literal spirit children of God, and thus have the possibility to eventually become as He is.

• Marriages may continue after this life, and families can be forever.

• And, of course, we are not saved by grace alone, but saved “after all we can do.” 14

Still, I do agree with what has already been said in some posts. Why is there a need for a label at all?

When a man murders another man...we only hear a label when it is a label that the media knows will draw attention. If they were to say that a man killed another man...ho hum, they think nobody will perk up and tune in to the broadcast if that is the title of the news story. Oh, but if they say, "Mormon man kills two people on Saturday." Well, now that would get most people's attention.

Why is that?

Maybe because even the media and the general public knows what our basic standards are? Well, that's a good thing! However, it is disgusting how some seem to glory in the downfall of any Mormon (whether they are actually affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is another matter!).

Still, that is what the media does...they try to give the slant that will attract the most viewers. Maybe more people will tune in to see a news story about "Mormons" more than just any average Joe.

That can be a positive or a negative. It is good that people are curious about us and would tune in just to hear more. It is bad that some of the things attributed to our Church truly have nothing to do with us at all.

So, back to the original question...what are we to call ourselves?

Boyd K. Packer, “‘The Peaceable Followers of Christ’,” Ensign, Apr 1998, 62

In a revelation given in 1838, the Lord spoke to “the elders and people of my Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, scattered abroad in all the world,” saying, “For thus shall my church be called in the last days, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” 7

Others refer to us as Mormons. I do not mind if they use that title. However, sometimes we are prone ourselves to say “Mormon Church.” I do not think it best for us to do so.

The First Presidency has told us to “keep in mind that this is the Church of Jesus Christ; please emphasize that fact in making contacts with others. … We feel that some may be misled by the too frequent use of the term ‘Mormon Church.’ ” 8

We obey the commandment “Whatsoever ye shall do, ye shall do it in my name.” 9 Every prayer we offer is in His name. Every ordinance performed is in His name. Every baptism, confirmation, blessing, ordination, every sermon, every testimony is concluded with the invocation of His sacred name. It is in His name that we heal the sick and perform other miracles of which we do not, cannot, speak.

In the sacrament we take upon ourselves the name of Christ. We covenant to remember Him and keep His commandments. He is present in all that we believe.

Russell M. Nelson, “‘Thus Shall My Church Be Called’,” Ensign, May 1990, 16

Today I would like to speak about a name. We are all pleased when our names are pronounced and spelled correctly. Sometimes a nickname is used instead of the real name. But a nickname may offend either the one named or the parents who gave the name.

The name of which I shall speak is not a personal name, yet the same principles apply. I refer to a name given by the Lord:

“Thus shall my church be called in the last days, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” (D&C 115:4.)

Note carefully the language of the Lord. He did not say, “Thus shall my church be named.” He said, “Thus shall my church be called. Years ago, its members were cautioned by the Brethren who wrote: “We feel that some may be misled by the too frequent use of the term ‘Mormon Church.’ ” (Member-Missionary Class—Instructor’s Guide, Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1982, p. 2.) Before any other name is considered to be a legitimate substitute, the thoughtful person might reverently consider the feelings of the Heavenly Parent who bestowed that name.

Surely every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord is precious. So each word in this name must be important—divinely designated for a reason. If we study the key words in that name, we can better understand the name’s full significance.

Saints

The last word in the title is Saints. I smile when I remember a comment made after my call to the Quorum of the Twelve. A doctor friend relayed a report made at a professional meeting that “Dr. Nelson was no longer practicing cardiac surgery because his church had made him ‘a saint.’ ”

Such a comment was not only amusing but revealing. It evidenced unfamiliarity with the language of the Bible, in which the word saint is used much more frequently than is the term Christian.

The word Christian appears in only three verses of the King James Version of the Bible. One verse describes the historical fact that “disciples were called Christians first in Antioch” (Acts 11:26); another quotes a sarcastic nonbeliever, King Agrippa (see Acts 26:28); and the third indicates that one known as “a Christian” must be prepared to suffer (1 Pet. 4:16).

In contrast, the term saint (or saints) appears in thirty-six verses of the Old Testament and in sixty-two verses of the New Testament.

Paul addressed an epistle “to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus.” (Eph. 1:1.)

To recent converts there he said, “Ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God.” (Eph. 2:19; see also Eph. 3:17–19.)

In his epistle to the Ephesians, Paul used the word saint at least once in every chapter!

Despite its use in ninety-eight verses of the Bible, the term saint is still not well understood. Some mistakenly think that it implies beatification or perfection. Not so! A saint is a believer in Christ and knows of His perfect love. The giving saint shares in a true spirit of that love, and the receiving saint accepts in a true spirit of gratitude. A saint serves others, knowing that the more one serves, the greater the opportunity for the Spirit to sanctify and purify.

A saint is tolerant, and is attentive to the pleadings of other human beings, not only to spoken messages but to unspoken messages as well. A saint is different from an individual whose response to a concern might be a selfish “What do I care” attitude. A real saint responds, “What? I do care!” Do is an action verb, and it becomes the driving force in the reply of one who will care for another in need. (See 1 Cor. 12:25–27; 2 Cor. 7:12.)

A saint “refrain from idleness” (Alma 38:12) and seeks learning by study, and also by faith. Education not only helps in communication with others, but it enables one to discern truth from error, particularly through studying the scriptures. (See D&C 88:118.)

A saint is honest and kind, paying financial obligations promptly and fully, treating others as she or he would want to be treated. (See Matt. 7:12; 3 Ne. 14:12; D&C 112:11.)

A saint is an honorable citizen, knowing that the very country which provides opportunity and protection deserves support, including prompt payment of taxes and personal participation in its legal political process. (See D&C 134:5.)

A saint resolves any differences with others honorably and peacefully and is constant in courtesy—even in traffic at the rush hour.

A saint shuns that which is unclean or degrading and avoids excess even of that which is good.

Perhaps above all, a saint is reverent. Reverence for the Lord, for the earth He created, for leaders, for the dignity of others, for the law, for the sanctity of life, for chapels and other buildings, are all evidences of saintly attitudes. (See Lev. 19:30; Alma 47:22; D&C 107:4; D&C 134:7.)

A reverent saint loves the Lord and gives highest priority to keeping His commandments. Daily prayer, periodic fasting, payment of tithes and offerings are privileges important to a faithful saint.

Finally, a saint is one who receives the gifts of the Spirit that God has promised to all His faithful sons and daughters. (See Joel 2:28–29; Acts 2:17–18.)

The Church

The first two words of the name the Lord chose for His earthly organization are The Church.

Note that the article The begins with a capital letter. This is an important part of the title, for the Church is the official organization of baptized believers who have taken upon themselves the name of Christ. (See D&C 10:67–69; D&C 18:21–25.)

The foundation of the Church is the reality that God is our Father and that His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, is the Savior of the world. The witness and inspiration of the Holy Ghost confirm those realities.

The Church is the way by which the Master accomplishes His work and bestows His glory. Its ordinances and related covenants are the crowning rewards of our membership. While many organizations can offer fellowship and fine instruction, only His church can provide baptism, confirmation, ordination, the sacrament, patriarchal blessings, and the ordinances of the temple—all bestowed by authorized priesthood power. That power is destined to bless all children of our Heavenly Father, regardless of their nationality:

“The keys of the kingdom of God are committed unto man on the earth, and from thence shall the gospel roll forth unto the ends of the earth.” (D&C 65:2; see also Dan. 2:37–45; D&C 109:72.)

Admission into His church is by baptism. This sacred ordinance is reserved only for children after they reach the age of accountability and for adults who are truly converted, prepared, and worthy to pass this scriptural test:

“Ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;

“Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in.” (Mosiah 18:8–9.)

Through the ordinance of baptism, we take upon ourselves the name of the Lord and covenant to be saints in these latter days. We covenant to live by the doctrines of the Church as recorded in sacred scriptures and as revealed to prophets, ancient and modern.

“We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.” (A of F 1:9.)

These revelations include fundamental truths essential to our everlasting happiness and joy. They teach of priorities with eternal potential, such as love of God, family, mother, father, children, and home; self-mastery; care of the poor and needy; service; and thoughtful consideration for others.

This church, established under the direction of Almighty God, fulfills promises made in biblical times. It is part of the “restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.” (Acts 3:21.) It has been restored and given a name by the Lord Himself.

He issued this solemn warning: “Let all men beware how they take my name in their lips.” “Remember,” He added, “that which cometh from above is sacred, and must be spoken with care.” (D&C 63:61, 64.) Therefore, just as we revere His holy name, we likewise revere the name that He decreed for His church.

As members of His church, we are privileged to participate in its divine destiny. May we so honor Him who declared, “Thus shall my church be called … The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,” I pray in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, amen.

I believe that the feelings thus far on this topic have been valid and worth consideration.

For those who are offended by the nickname "Mormon", I can understand and agree that it is not always best to call ourselves this or to allow others to refer to us by this misleading nickname, as there are too many in this country who claim that title, but do not belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Using such a nickname can often lead to more confusion and dislike of our faith.

For those who do not see a problem with the use of the nickname "Mormon", I can also understand your feelings and reasoning's. If we do not see ourselves as evil, ungodly people, then why should we be offended to associate ourselves with a nickname that to some of us only links us to a gospel that we love and know to be true?

Personally, I think we should search for ourselves what the prophets and leaders of our Church have said regarding this matter. Ponder. Then pray, taking the matter to the Lord. Let Heavenly Father guide you.

I see no fault in either side of this discussion, as we are all at different levels of spirituality and testimony, and we are all unique with different personalities and experiences. As long as we are doing the best that we can with what we currently know and understand, and as long as we are following the promptings of the Spirit and the direction of our leaders, then we should not be too hard on ourselves or others.

Just a thought. ^_^

I have no problem calling myself or being called a Mormon or Latter Day Saint. As Joseph Smith was told by Moroni, "that my name should be had for good and evil among all nations, kindreds, and tongues, or that it should be both good and evil spoken of among all people."

As Mormons our name is had for good and evil. But we know better. Yes, the name Mormon comes with all sorts of stereotypes, prejudices and stigma. It is also known for much good. I can only imagine what the prophet Mormon thinks of all of us Latter Day Saints being called after his name. After all, we could have all been called Mahonri Moriancumrs. ^_^

LDS.org - Ensign Article - <i>Mormon</i> Should Mean “More Goodâ€