Hello

BandNerd

Welcome. I'm a choir teacher (just graduated), and I'm looking at a K-8 job. We always need more LDS musicians!

A K-8 gig? Cool. I did some K-5 general music in my job. I'm grateful I did it, but the smaller the kids the more planning they need. I hope to get that chance again. You Orff/Kodaly certified?

Not certified (maybe I'll get around to it this summer?), but I do a lot of Kodaly stuff, especially in 1st through 3rd grades.

As far as the preparation, I think it's a tossup. It's true that elementary kids require plenty of energy and activities, but when the bell rings, you go home instead of coaching track, directing the play, and marching at halftime!

Not certified (maybe I'll get around to it this summer?), but I do a lot of Kodaly stuff, especially in 1st through 3rd grades.

As far as the preparation, I think it's a tossup. It's true that elementary kids require plenty of energy and activities, but when the bell rings, you go home instead of coaching track, directing the play, and marching at halftime!

The certification was well worth my time, and it was fun. I spent as much time preparing to two 25 minute kindergarten classes a week as I did for fifteen band classes in a week. It was nuts how much prep they needed to get things going smooth. That could have just been me, though. I teach middle school band, so I don't do that marching stuff. I get to go home when I'm done, we music teachers don't have to grade tons of homework. ;) I sometimes tease my English teacher friends about that.

I do love that no homework thing. Middle school is a difficult age - I like to stay above or below it if I can. I almost became an English teacher, but looking at the workload, I think music is a better deal all around. Plus, they can't cut music out of elementary schools because it's the other teachers' break time! Huzzah!

I do love that no homework thing. Middle school is a difficult age - I like to stay above or below it if I can. I almost became an English teacher, but looking at the workload, I think music is a better deal all around. Plus, they can't cut music out of elementary schools because it's the other teachers' break time! Huzzah!

Middle school kids are certainly of a different variety. I like them pretty well, though, they think I'm normal. Poor tykes. Elementary kids are fun, but band is where my passion lies. High school kids are fun, too, but the politicking (and drama) in high school bothers me a lot. My school is a charter school and the official school charter states that every student must have music. K-5 kids get 50 minutes a week and middle school kids get one period per day. As long as my school's around I have a job.

Hi BandNerd...welcome! I have 2sons, one played barithon/Tuba and the other drums in schoolband, it wasamarching band, middleschool. But they stopped 2-3 years ago. The Tuba player stil plays piano, but dont want any teacher... too bad, he is pretty good. Atleast he learned to read music so he just goes on the nett and finds notes to something he wants to play...and plays it. The drummer is consenmtarting in the school,he is very good in using his body as drums.

Hey, I'm a band teacher from Utah. I'm LDS. What else am I supposed to say? I feel a little awkward, like when some one says, "Hey visitor, stand and introduce yourself." Ask me anything, it's likely I'll respond.;)

:lol: really nothing. But thanks in coming to this forum and add your talents and viewpoints.

So are you currently teaching in Utah? What grades? The K-5? Schools for sure need more qualified music teachers. When my kids were in elementary school they had to rely on the volunteering of a parent to teach band.

Edited by pam
typo...darn keyboard

So are you currently teaching in Utah? What grades? The K-5? Schools for sure need more qualified music teachers. When my kids were in elementary school they had to rely on the volunteering of a parent to teach band.

I teach at a K-8 charter school in Logan, UT. I teach mainly middle school age kids beginning and intermediate band. I also do a 4th and 5th grade class after school. They're pretty fun. :) Schools here really do need more qualified music teachers. There's a huge musical difference between kids from the charter school where I work and the kids who come in from different valley schools. The charter kids tend to be better at keeping a steady beat, matching pitch, and basic rhythmic and melodic memorization.