The Cross

I personally would wear my Cross under my shirt, as I always do.

Interesting - Is this because your concerns and desires are much more important than others and their concerns, to your brand of Christianity?

Please do not be angry at my post - I understand that some things must be done despite what others think - I just want to make sure that the cross to you is one of them. If so - do you rely on scripture for this commandment or some other source - Whatever your source - would you please provide the source?

The Traveler

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting - Is this because your concerns and desires are much more important than others and their concerns, to your brand of Christianity?

Please do not be angry at my post - I understand that some things must be done despite what others think - I just want to make sure that the cross to you is one of them. If so - do you rely on scripture for this commandment or some other source - Whatever your source - would you please provide the source?

The Traveler

What do my concerns and desires have to do with wearing a Cross under my shirt where no one can see it? Yes, some things must be done despite what others think. If my mother knew I was wearing a Cross, she would be furious which is one reason I wear it under my shirt.

If my mother knew I was wearing a Cross, she would be furious which is one reason I wear it under my shirt.

Ah.. the rebellious teenager. :joker: LOL I have had 3 of those.. and I love it now when they have gotten older.. and have apologized for their behavior when younger.

Most of what young people do are not because of thinking something through.. it is based on pure emotion only. It is when the brain catches up to the emotions.. then an adult is made. At least most of the time. I am sure that someone out there can show me the contrary to that statement. :D

Ah.. the rebellious teenager. :joker: LOL I have had 3 of those.. and I love it now when they have gotten older.. and have apologized for their behavior when younger.

Most of what young people do are not because of thinking something through.. it is based on pure emotion only. It is when the brain catches up to the emotions.. then an adult is made. At least most of the time. I am sure that someone out there can show me the contrary to that statement. :D

If I was just being rebellious, I would not be wearing it under my shirt. ;) I would be wearing it in plain view of everyone. As it is, there is only about one other person that knows I'm wearing it.

Edited by Rekhyt2238

I would agree with you about your efforts to remember the sacrifice of Christ. However, that is not how he asked his disciples to remember him. I do not believe this would be so much a problem if the more important issues and commandments were given equal or more respect.

The Bible is silent about the use of a crucifix as a rememberance, just as it is the use of Jesus statuary. We observe regular Holy Communion (Sacrament), which is the specific means Jesus instituted for remembering him.

I am not so concerned with your individual case of respect and devotion as I am with the traditional Christians that have carried the cross into war to justify many of histories worse abuses against mankind.

I do not see the Crusades, and perhaps a few other military ventures done in the name of God, as a reason for jettisoning the symbol of Jesus' sacrifice.

Without question the symbol of the cross has come to be an “evil” symbol of great abuse throughout the world as much as it is a symbol of peace through the sacrifice of Christ. It is also just as much a symbol of “self serving” and rejection (damning) of others as it is a symbol of love, care and service of others (especially to non-Christians).

IMHO you greatly overstate the pervasiveness and degree of animous towards the Christian cross.

So I ask a question – if the cross in the hands of a Christian is a symbol of destruction and abuses in a specific society – would you gladly wear a cross knowing the fear and distrust that it generates?

IMHO, such strong anti-crucifix sentiments would be limited Muslim and perhaps Jewish communities. If I knew such sensitivities existed, I would probably forgo the use of the cross.

Originally Posted by scdoyle:

So if Christ was killed with a gun, would you wear a gun around your neck?

YES!

Wow. Good thing he wasn't hung! In all seriousness, I don't have a problem with crosses. However, I very much dislike the ones that have the dying Christ on them. It's just little too disturbing for me. One problem I have with the cross is that it have turned into an accessory item instead of a sign of your beliefs. How many music artists do we see wearing crosses, but

display no Christ-like attributes. I don't know what their beliefs are, but I bet for them the cross is just a "cool" thing to wear.

As FYI, Catholics tend to wear the crosses with Jesus on them. It's part of their understanding that during mass, Christ is still suffering for them. Protestants generally use empty crosses, symbolizing that his sacrifice was once and for all, and that He is risen.

As FYI, Catholics tend to wear the crosses with Jesus on them. It's part of their understanding that during mass, Christ is still suffering for them. Protestants generally use empty crosses, symbolizing that his sacrifice was once and for all, and that He is risen.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Thanks PC for the explanation...I wasn't aware of that either....explains why rosary crosses (Catholic prayer beads) are detailed as are the ones in their churches. I think my mother did know and had far more objections to my attending a Catholic school than I ever realised (objected to my wearing a particular cross or worried about wearing red or green hair ribbons on St Pats day). Umm Dutch reformed church origins...and I thought the Dutch were pretty mild about these things...but perhaps not in Drenthe LOL. Figures.

I do not see the Crusades, and perhaps a few other military ventures done in the name of God, as a reason for jettisoning the symbol of Jesus' sacrifice.

Do you know the meaning of the 3rd Richt (World War II)? What and when were the other two Richts? I have also asked a question that I know many do not even want to consider. When was the first law passed in a Christian society (which used the symbol of the cross) to prevent the plunder of innocent life and property of non-Christian worshipers?

The Traveler

Do you know the meaning of the 3rd Richt (World War II)? What and when were the other two Richts? I have also asked a question that I know many do not even want to consider. When was the first law passed in a Christian society (which used the symbol of the cross) to prevent the plunder of innocent life and property of non-Christian worshipers?

The Traveler

Here's the answer about reichts: Axis History Factbook: The First & Second Reich . I believe I answered your question: the misuse of the Church and of Christians symbols for military venturism is not sufficient cause to jettison the symbol of our faith, anymore than the KKK's use is.

Your whole point seems to be that the Roman Empire remained cruel after it became Christian, therefore the cross has been corrupted and should not be used. Again, I could understand such sensitivity amongst Muslims or Jews, but see little need to jettison the symbol throughout Europe, Asia, or the Americas.

Let me start out by saying I am very close to leaving the church. Though I have a few questions before, which is why I came here . . . So my question is, why?

It seems you are wrestling with some very small issues here. The big question is whether the Prophet and the Apostles are true messengers of God. If they are, their teachings should answer your questions on this subject. Read the Book of Mormon, pray for understanding, and listen for the answers. If you pursue this course with intent to follow the Lord's will rather than your own, He will tell you in His time, in a way you will understand.

Guest HEthePrimate

Let me start out by saying I am very close to leaving the church. Though I have a few questions before, which is why I came here. To start with, one of my issues with church doctrine is the subject of the Cross. Personally, I wear a Cross, but according to the church website, mormons are not supposed to wear the symbol of the cross because, “the Savior lives, [so] we do not use the symbol of His death as the symbol of our faith.” My opinion on the subject, is that the symbol of Christ's' death, the Cross, is the symbol of Christianity because without his death there would be no religion.

So my question is, why? I do not understand why the fact that Christ lives means that we should not wear a Cross. I ask for any further explanation and/or opinions on the subject.

I am an active Latter-day Saint and wear a cross almost every day. I am not celebrating Jesus' death, and I do believe He was resurrected and lives today. The cross reminds me that Christ loves me and all of His children so much that He would rather die than make us suffer. It is a powerful symbol of the most powerful love in the universe, and you don't have to give it up just because somebody else doesn't understand what it means to you.

We don't give up our free agency when we join the Church, and you can continue wearing your cross as much as you want--nobody ever said (that I'm aware of) that we're not "allowed" to wear a cross. As long as you don't commit any major transgressions, I suspect that Church leaders won't give you any serious problems.

Care,

HEP